spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

migsutu

join:2004-09-14

ATT DSL Confused: PPPoE and Static IP

We are preparing to get signed up with the Business DSL plan at our business location. At home we connect with PPPoE and I know the Static IP plans connect this way as well. I guess I am confused as to how exactly this will work. Before with Verizon, it was always on DSL, and we just had our DSL modem plugged into a switch, with each machine set to its specific IP.

After reading through the other posts it sounds like I have to have one of the Routers ATT gives, which logs in, and then acts as the gateway. Then on the lan side of this router, you can set the machines to their specific static ip. I guess this setup is fine with the exception of the router ATT gives. I am not fan of Motorola products, as I have had nothing but bad luck with routers and cable modems from then. Is there a way to use a 3com or Cisco router in place of the Netopia routers? Is there a way to use a typical DSL modem and a plain linksys router instead of the Netopia router?

Frohike
Premium
join:2000-07-23
Waxahachie, TX
kudos:4

About motorola - remember Motorola bought out Netopia - so its not like Motorola created it.

And yes- the Netopia acts as the gateway and you can assign the IPs to each device connected to the Netopia.

Basically the Netopia has a special setup called the Network Bridge (or Hybrid Bridge). The WAN side of the Netopia is basically non-existent and the Public IP is transferred to the LAN side of the Netopia. Can other routers like Cisco do it?? Dunno. You would have to check with them.

migsutu

reply to migsutu

Well that makes me feel better know Motorola didn't design it. Well I am not going to worry about Cisco/3com until after I test out the Netopia device. It comes with it so I might as well try it. Thanks for the help.

Frohike
Premium
join:2000-07-23
Waxahachie, TX
kudos:4
reply to migsutu

I've helped alot of our customers setup their netopia. We are well trained in Netopias =). If you were to use a Cisco or other router... we wouldnt be help you set it up.

kash1

join:2005-08-13
Houston, TX

there's a how too somewhere on the net about pppoe multiple satic on cisco routers, it can be done

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1
reply to migsutu

This FAQ may help clear some of the confusion.
Funhouse/Ameritech info on the 5 Static IP packages

The 2wire 2701HG-B that at&t issues will also work with the static packages, at&t calls it the AT&T Wireless Gateway
--
God bless our troops

SUICIDA

join:2007-05-11
Baltimore, MD
reply to migsutu

You can use any dsl modem, for example a speed stream 4100, setup on bridge mode, and then you can setup a Linksys router with the static ip provided by at&t, it will work fine, also you can setup the dsl modem with a pppoe connection, and then connect this to a switch, like a 3com, and you can share the connection to multiple computers, not limited to only 5 static ip's, that's the normal amount of ip's provided by at&t, on a cidr block of 29/9, or use the netopia, their are a reliable dsl router, keep in mind that at&t tech support only support what they provide to you, free of charge, and if you need further assistance with any other device not provided by them, they have limited info on those devices or none.

migsutu

1 edit
reply to migsutu

Thanks for all the advice here. I went with the Netopia router, people seem to speak well of it. I may play around with some other modem options, but that will come later on. Thanks again for the help and info.

EDIT: I have been messing around with the modems, and I didn't realize you could actually log into them and change hhow they work. I had no idea they can actually work as routers. I guess I should have looked into this before I started posting about it. Thanks again.