spc
Search similar:

uniqs
TeamGai
join:2007-06-10
Cheyenne, WY

TeamGai

"SNMaster.idx Database is missing Please restore this file"

My mom's been getting this message every time her computer starts and every time she tries to get online through AOL. She finally found the file tonight but doesn't know what to do with it, and considering all the AOL Tech people are on AOL she can't get a hold of the AMERICAN ones unless she calls the INDIAN Tech Support line... Every time something goes wrong with our AOL we have to call someone and basically translate what they say, so this time she had me come on here and ask you guys what there is to do.

Last night our internet (from Qwest) went out because of a thunderstorm that shut down the local Qwest system. After about 6 hours they fixed it and the light on our modem came back on. Well, she had the said problem, and the only way I could get online was through AOL programs and then I was free to roam the net. This was frustrating for both of us so we called Qwest and get the modem problem straighted out so I don't have to get on through AOL. My mom on the other hand is still having the problem and there's no one who can 'semi' - quickly help us.

I'd love to have an answer soon as we are going to bed in a couple hours.

Please and Thanks!

dsfafd
@comcast.net

dsfafd

Anon

Did you try reinstalling it? I would just start with that...... redwnld and reinstall.

OEMTechSupport

Anon

We have just tried uninstalling and reinstalling the AOL software and the problem reoccurs as soon as the computer is restarted (I do tech support for a computer manufacturer). There doesn't appear to be a known fix at this time unless AOL can come up with something, but they will only support their paying customers.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28

justin

Mod

Try doing a vista system recovery, go back to a time before the problem was reported. Then re-install AOL.

If that fails, reinstall vista, then reinstall AOL.

shanck
@aol.com

shanck to TeamGai

Anon

to TeamGai
hi there mate I too have the same prob....I have been everywhere to try and fix the prob...have you managed? please advise...Aol know of the problem but cannot/will not help...they say re-install aol using their cd that done I still have problems...it all started when I bought Norton 360 and installed the programme...

dsfafd
@66.19.33.x

dsfafd to TeamGai

Anon

to TeamGai
can helpme to restore my snmaster.idx database file

FastEddie

join:2000-12-29
Channel Z

1 edit

FastEddie

From what I've read it's a problem with Vista and AOL 9.0 and un-installing and re-installing AOL doesn't help. The only solution I found was you have to do a Vista restore back to like it came from the factory then re-install AOL 9.0.

One other mention was that if you were running Zone Alarm to un-install it because that was the problem.

As far as the missing file, I think it may go here:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AOL\C_America Online 9.0\idb\SNMaster.idx

I also found this when searching the web.
quote:
Do a search for the missing file snmaster.idx (be sure to check search hidden files and folders) I found copies under an application data backup file and copied it into the following path

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AOL\C_America Online 9.0\idb\SNMaster.idx

Along with the rest of the files in that folder.

quote:
The only way I've been able to get online is to sign on as a guest.It's my understanding that the "snmaster.idx file" is kept stored on your computer and contains your password and screenname info.Since I have been signed in as a guest I have not been able to gain access to these settings.AOL's suggestion that I reinstall their software has been a waste of time.Anything short of accessing these settings will not help

Rich
@optonline.net

Rich to TeamGai

Anon

to TeamGai
Delete the shortcut on desktop and from Programs list create a new shortcut to desktop. Worked for me. Good luck.

shanck
@aol.com

shanck to TeamGai

Anon

to TeamGai
hi there did you manage to restore the file? I have been having a right ball ache trying to ....I am pulling my hair out Aol don't know what to do etc

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28
Billion BiPAC 7800N
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

justin

Mod

said by shanck :

hi there did you manage to restore the file? I have been having a right ball ache trying to ....I am pulling my hair out Aol don't know what to do etc
Why don't you just
a) Reinstall VISTA, or "recover" all the way back to the start
b) Reinstall AOL9

that is the only solution I've seen that works.

kevingo
@aol.com

kevingo to TeamGai

Anon

to TeamGai
heres how i solved the problem .i had the snmaster error after i down loaded the mcafee security center from aol must have a bug. tryed aol quick restore and xp system restore and uninstaling and reinstaling aol. nothing worked but i solved the problem by starting my computer in safe mode and doing a search for aol then deleated every thing that came up same for mcafee.
seahaven00
join:2007-11-28
Folsom, CA

seahaven00 to TeamGai

to TeamGai
I was having the same problem after i attempted to install AOL 9.1 on Vista. I posted this fix on an aol forum as well. Locate the appdata.ini which should be located in c:\program files\AOL 9.1 . Open the appdata.ini and modify the "Folder=" section like below..

Double check to make sure that the snmaster.idx file actually resides in C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\AOL\Ca_AOL 9.1 . I'm assuming the problem exists because there is no absolute path by default in this appdata.ini file.

[appdata]
Folder=C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\AOL\Ca_AOL 9.1
GUID=d2daa36-8ec8-4e9e-85f5-c1328ad905a0
Common=C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data

Browse to C:\Program Files\AOL 9.1\ and double click on aol.exe. It should start just fine.

AOLTech9
join:2007-11-09

AOLTech9 to TeamGai

to TeamGai
This is the best fix that you can try for the Message "Snmaster.idx Missing ".

You will have to copy The AOL® data to a different location if you are using Windows Vista™.

To copy the AOL data files and move them to the right location:
1. Click the Start button, then open My Computer.

Note: If using Windows Vista, click the Start button, then click Computer.

2. Access the AOL folder.

If using Windows 2000 or Windows XP, double-click the Local Disk (C:), then navigate to Windows\All Users\Application Data\AOL folder.
If using Windows Vista, double-click the Local Disk (C:), then navigate to the Windows\ProgramData|AOL folder. Windows Vista users can alternatively search for C_AOL90 to find it.
3. Right-click the C_AOL90 folder, then click Copy.
Note: If there are multiple copies of the C_AOL90 folder, copy the folder with the later letter next to it. e.g.: If you have C_AOL90a and C_AOL90b, then C_AOL90b is folder that would need to be copied.

4. Paste the folder into the correct location.
If using Windows 2000 or Windows XP, navigate to the C:\Documents And Settings\All Users\Application Data\AOL folder. Right-click the AOL folder, then click Paste.
If using Windows Vista, navigate to the C:\ProgramData\AOL folder. Right-click the AOL folder, then click Paste.
Notes:

If you do not find the Application Data folder, it may be hidden. To see all hidden folders on Windows XP or 2000, click the Tools menu, click Folder Options, then click the View tab. Under Hidden files and folders, choose the Show hidden files and folders option by clicking it, then click the OK button.
If you do not find the ProgramData folder, it may be hidden. To see all hidden folders, click the Organize menu, click Folder and Search Options, then click the View tab. Under Hidden files and folders, choose the Show hidden files and folders option by clicking it, then click the OK button.
5. Launch the AOL® software again.

FS1
@aol.com

FS1 to TeamGai

Anon

to TeamGai

Re: "SNMaster.idx Database Revival. This is the REAL ANSWER

Enough with this crap! Here is how it is done. You probably will not find the snmaster.idx on your computer anymore because some how or another it has been deleted. If it was on your computer, you wouldn't see "snmaster.idx database not found". Next, you will probably have trouble uninstalling your current AOL because without the snmaster.idx, the computer doesn't even recognize a dang AOL thing! All you have to do is go to: »daol.aol.com/software/91 and download it again. Simple as that. No searching for a file you don't have anymore, and no uninstalling a program that your computer doesn't even comply with. Just re-install it! PERIOD! I spent hours on this, and I never received a straight answer from ANY of these forums. RE-INSTALL IT! THAT'S IT! And you don't have to unistall the old one. It will give you trouble anyways!

AOLTech9

AOLTech9

said by FS1 :

Enough with this crap! Here is how it is done. You probably will not find the snmaster.idx on your computer anymore because some how or another it has been deleted. If it was on your computer, you wouldn't see "snmaster.idx database not found". Next, you will probably have trouble uninstalling your current AOL because without the snmaster.idx, the computer doesn't even recognize a dang AOL thing! All you have to do is go to: »daol.aol.com/software/91 and download it again. Simple as that. No searching for a file you don't have anymore, and no uninstalling a program that your computer doesn't even comply with. Just re-install it! PERIOD! I spent hours on this, and I never received a straight answer from ANY of these forums. RE-INSTALL IT! THAT'S IT! And you don't have to unistall the old one. It will give you trouble anyways!
Yes, I understand that reinstalling will fix the problem, but reinstalling is not the fix for all the problem that we face....on any software. The Solution that is put up above is tried and tested on many computers and is 100 percent fix for the problem.

debora
@Level3.net

debora to TeamGai

Anon

to TeamGai

Re: "SNMaster.idx Database is missing Please restore this file"

Hi I am with you on this ine.AOL had me delete,(through support, the 4.0 I had on my sys since I was running9.0, since my sys was running slow..So I did this and lost my snmaster.idx. I called for the last 2 weeks and finally they said some special area would have it fixed that our data base was connected. In the meantime they wanted to charge me for service that I did not get. They were very un-pratical to me in-regards to my situation and the un-techinical support I received from them. Losing my sys has cost me a fortune and they did not care, I am not with them any longer as of today and am with Peoples PC

anonmyous
@verizon.net

anonmyous to FS1

Anon

to FS1

Re: "SNMaster.idx Database Revival. This is the REAL ANSWER

this will not solve the problem as you may not download some sites on the internet.What you need to do is to uninstall anything from aol (including their version of mccaffee),this includes their computer check-up,and anything with aol on it> then defrag your computer,then re-install all aol you took out,and you should have no more problems. this worked for me! good luck
DaveCinSL1
join:2007-12-02
San Leandro, CA

DaveCinSL1 to TeamGai

to TeamGai

Re: "SNMaster.idx Database is missing Please restore this file"

sheesh main IDX which has the file that is corrupt in it (the master sn) also has a quick fix under one click fixes from the taskbar menu for aol also restore (aol) is located in aol in all programs installed folder under the backup folder also uninstall Norton and don't use it as anti virus

sbundy47
@optonline.net

sbundy47 to TeamGai

Anon

to TeamGai
Folder=C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\AOL\C_AOL 9.1

Simply change your reference in appdata.ini to the above and all is well! It's not CA_AOL 9.1 but C_AOL 9.1

It's a simply path direction reference mistake by AOL

Rlk
@aol.com

Rlk to TeamGai

Anon

to TeamGai
I had this problem and have devoted the last four days to this problem. I have been on the phone with aol three times t he last technician was awesome. I wrote down all the steps to fix.

If program won’t go past 99 percent and when double click on aol and message says restore snmaster.idx database, this is what you do.

Go to
»tinyurl.com/7fask
Remove all aol include wild tangent(I got on line using internet explorer to do this)
After all aol files are removed.
Hold down shift key and insert aolvr disc (they are free at Walmart or other stores)

Download (it will cancel at 99 percent)

Then click on
Start
My computer
C drive
Windows
All users
Application data (it could be hidden)
Copy the aol folder(right click to copy)
Close

Start
Computer
C drive
Right click program data (mine was hidden)
Left paste
Complete saying yes to any questions

Then
Double click program files (in c drive)
Double left click the latest 9.0 (ie if you have 9.0a,9.0b , 9.0c pick 9.0c)
Right click on the aol with triangle and send to desktop

Go to start 9.0 and you should be able to connect.
Good luck. Worst case scenario, keep calling aol, there are some smart technicians out there.

AOLTech9

AOLTech9

said by Rlk :

I had this problem and have devoted the last four days to this problem. I have been on the phone with aol three times t he last technician was awesome. I wrote down all the steps to fix.

If program won’t go past 99 percent and when double click on aol and message says restore snmaster.idx database, this is what you do.

Go to
»tinyurl.com/7fask
Remove all aol include wild tangent(I got on line using internet explorer to do this)
Hold down shift key and insert aolvr disc (they are free at Walmart or other stores)

Then click on
Start
My computer
C drive
Windows
All users
Close

Start
Computer
C drive
Left paste

Then

Good luck. Worst case scenario, keep calling aol, there are some smart technicians out there.
The same solution is posted above.

behindshad0wz to sbundy47

Anon

to sbundy47
ya so i spent all day yesterday installin and uninstall and changin the aol path for the folders and nothing still worked... i was bout ready to say peace out... then i was lookin on a website and i saw AOL Desktop.. which is new... has a new look and some really cool new features... however it does have some cons....

Proz: it has a mini IE 7 wit havin the one window and u tab to the different pages u want to look at vs the many windows i would normally have...
on the buddylist it has an eye.. u click on it.,, makes u invisible.. vs having to go thru different menus
when u mini.. remember those lil tabs that had a fraction of the name on it... they are little squares wit whats on the page... however i did like the 9.0 where when u hover it shows a bigger version but still like the new thing...
has different icons along the top... nice love em no more icon carosel
u can click on the background and instead of all the different aol ones... u can load ur on... i dont see any aol preloaded but ive always like my backgrounds better

Cons... to get to AOL chats is a pain.. i have to hit ctrl k and then type findachat... and hearts only on websites so u can not add to favorites
another is the favorite list icon isnt on the main tool bar
I had a friend try it his complaint to me was the Favorites and the Chats and the buddy list and the im'z are more like the aim crap... but i like it whatever... if anything u have to resize the chats and imz a little bit

(between me and u... he doesnt like change =x)

but since i apparently cant have 9.0 or 9.1 ... which i did have 9.0 before it made me upgrade... and now it wont go back... even if i could go back i would use the desktop

so if u still have problems try AOL Desktop before u call india

Hope yall have an awesome New Years!!! be safe

My78Novata
@aol.com

My78Novata to TeamGai

Anon

to TeamGai
I have sepnt hours and none of this works. I have benen wtih techs all day........ all day Fri and sat too!!!!!!! well anyway........... they have said there are several of us who can not be fixed and we must wait till they come back after the new year and HOPEFULLY on Thursday or Friday they will work!!!!! a fix out!!!!! cal back then. I did finally talk to an american lol and she did all this and more with us. Nothing works.

My78NovaTa
@aol.com

My78NovaTa to TeamGai

Anon

to TeamGai
We did the same thing here and at 99% each time it says cancled. we sepnt all weekend on it and finally the last AMERICAN speaking tech told us we are not the first to have this problem. some have been able to be fixed but others like us no and there are 1000's that are not fixable. We are given a refernce number and told to Call back on Thursday or Friday and HOPEFULLY there will be a fix. Since orgingal techs had us delete all old versions there is no going back. Though we have found that we can use the aol desk top which is similar to the aol we are use to. Aol may also give us all call they have said after the new year to resolve this. Best thing is DO NOT download the new 9.1 or if you have wait and pray aol can send us a cd or find a fix for this.

RJL0628
@sbcglobal.net

RJL0628 to TeamGai

Anon

to TeamGai
Hi..I had this same problem just today. I have found if you search your whole computer and delete or drag all of aol to the bin and do a clean up on your computer, as well as cleaning out your prefetch, it will get rid of this error. But you must get all of AOL out before it will go away. Than reinstall. Hope it works for you like it did for me.**~~

DeesgirI413
@comcast.net

DeesgirI413 to TeamGai

Anon

to TeamGai
I had problem with snmaster.idx database file missing...
You dont have to go through all of these steps like everyone is listing here... I spent hours ready to smash my computer... then to find out it is easy and stress free.

QUICK FIX: Delete all AOL components stored in your computer. Defragment your computer. Then ReInstall AOL. Worked for me!!!

My78NovaTa
@aol.com

My78NovaTa to TeamGai

Anon

to TeamGai
We did both the above steps and to no avail

blacks10
@comcast.net

blacks10 to TeamGai

Anon

to TeamGai
Rlk

@aol.com

reply to TeamGai

Go to
»tinyurl.com/7fask

Then click on
Start
My computer
C drive
Windows
All users
Close

Start
Computer
C drive
Left paste

Then

WORKS, ONLY THAT DID FOR ME SO FAR!