Premium,MVM
join:2002-03-04
Lost
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

2 recommendations

[WCG-BOINC] I need a big favor please.

They are shipping a replacement for my dual-core vista machine because they shipped the wrong pc. It won’t arrive until sometime next week, so plenty of time.

I want to prove to myself that Boinc don’t play well with vista. This is a chance to install on a brand new machine with no prior attempts having been tried.

I have read those install directions to death and I know this is a dumb request since step by step instructions already exist. But I say it won’t work on my vista home premium after a restart.

Anyway, I want someone to send me a picture of EACH and EVERY step they take to install Boinc on VISTA as SINGLE USER with LATEST boinc windows VERSION 5.8.16

Don’t want anyone to make a special effort, just take pics as they are installing. Save them until they are sure that their first restart works and then email to me. I will print and follow every keystroke, just as the pics denote.

I will provide my email addy.
--
Team Discovery and Project Hope

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Premium,Mod
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone
kudos:57
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

/methinks with pix, this might make a nice addition to the FAQ

So folks..with this challenge here..let's grab some screenies & step by step directions

It will benefit all

Ascent
And so it begins
Premium
join:2004-11-16
Wichita, KS
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

8 recommendations

reply to Ray422

This is how I installed BOINC on vista:

First go to »boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php and download the latest stable version.

After downloading run the installation program,

accept the eula,

you can use the default directory or choose another,

next choose service install,

Tell BOINC how to log in. BOINC will need a user name and password, it can be an
existing user or you can create a new one. Also uncheck "Make BOINC your default screensaver" and
"Launch BOINC when logging in"

Now complete the isntallation.

BOINC is now installed as a service and will run while any user is logged in. You can
start boincmgr.exe or use BoincView to control boinc.
--
Team Discovery
--
HN7000S Small Office,IA6/1216,.98,2 watt
--
I know the answer, do you?

Ray422
Premium,MVM
Lost

1 recommendation

Well done, and quick too.
My compliments

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Premium,Mod
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone
kudos:57
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to Ascent

Thank you Ascent See Profile

»Team Discovery WCG BOINC FAQ »How To Install BOINC on Vista

Digibits
Premium
join:2000-09-02
The Hilltop
kudos:1
reply to Ray422

I arrived late to the party, but Ascent certainly did an excellent job.

I've been running Vista ever since the project began and have have had 0 problems running with a single core Opteron and BOINC.

Dual core may be a different story. I installed an Opteron dual core in the same computer this evening, and everything appears to be running fine so far.
--
Team Discovery ~ All About Finding Cures

Dolphin
RIP lilhurricane
Premium,MVM
join:2002-08-19
The Ocean
kudos:4
reply to Ascent

Yes, indeed, thank you very much Ascent . Great job and very helpful!
--
~Team Discovery~

Ray422
Premium,MVM
Lost
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Ray422

I want to thank Ascent once again and trust me, I will be locked into every keystroke when my dual-core replacement arrives. I surely think your effort will also be helpfull to others.

I had tried on the current machine to install as a "service" (1 of my 5 installs) but still had difficulty, perhaps it is just the machine i.e. corrupted installs that will not repair? That is why I am so appreciative of your pics and I will try my first attempt on the replacement as a "service" install.

Meanwhile I remain skeptical. Perhaps others are also losing work on the VISTA restart. Are ya really tracking these units closely, like I do? Remember that I am only talking VISTA DUAL-CORE. Xp and XPpro seem to work fine.

Here is an example of today's restart. I was smart enough this time to try and balance both cores at a small percentage of completion, so I wouldn't lose but 3 hours instead of a full day's work on 2 cores.

895_00087_7 at 13.5% complete
897_00005_13 at 3% complete

885_00074_13 Ready to start
886_00020_18 Ready to start

Ok, exited Boinc (I don't worry about the time, just wait until the icon disappears from system tray). Then the Vista re-start.

It all "Appears" to come back normal. You lose about 2.5% for the restart (normal) and the "ready to start" units show up as before. All appears to be ok, but that is very DECEIVING. Just wait a few minutes. I usually give it about 15 minutes.

Then I can check the message tab and see the errors in red, but instead I go to the results status to see the Lost Time. You will also notice new units in progress and possibly already have new "ready to start units".

I didn't screenshot the entire 'results status" page, but those "ready to start" units have disappeared and been replaced by new ones (no big deal there, just curiosity).

Note that the previous units in progress are now ERRORS which occurred at 1.1 and 2.03 hours (ie 3 and 13.5%). Note that when these units are finalized by others, you will NOT receive any boinc points; only lost time.

You can clearly see that this machine loses work on every re-start. This is very DECEIVING.

Like I usually say, maybe it's just snakebit me, or my machine, or 1 of 5 corrupt although different type installs.
--
Team Discovery and Project Hope

BillRoland
Premium
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

1 edit

1 recommendation

said by Ray422:

Perhaps others are also losing work on the VISTA restart. Are ya really tracking these units closely, like I do? Remember that I am only talking VISTA DUAL-CORE. Xp and XPpro seem to work fine.
I am paying close attention. Dual core Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz processor here, Vista Ultimate x64, and BOINC 5.10.7 in single user install, been running fine here. You can from the upload that apparently BOINC is capable of running on this configuration, so I really don't know what to tell you except that I hope your new machine isn't haunted by the BOINC ghosts

EDIT: that's a 2.66GHz processor, not 2.55...fingers double crossed me
--
"Don't steal. The government hates competition."

Ascent
And so it begins
Premium
join:2004-11-16
Wichita, KS
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to Ray422

I am not loosing any work on a restart. I will admit that I do not restart this computer very often. It has been 9 days since the last. But BoincView would show me if I had a problem with a work unit. This computer is a 2x intel xeon woodcrest 5140 dual core, so BOINC is running 4 at a time. If I do a restart all I am seeing is that the work unit starts at the last point it was saved so I do loose some time.
--
Team Discovery
--
HN7000S Small Office,IA6/1216,.98,2 watt
--
I know the answer, do you?