Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

4 edits

NetFixer to mdmaddox

Premium Member

to mdmaddox

Re: Got a good one from comcast

said by mdmaddox:

That DNS is the last hope anyone will see if they trace your current IP address back to you. So in my case if the DNS show up in PA and I'm in WA then something is wrong.

If you can trust someone to run a trace to your IP or try it from your work you can quickly tell if the notice is legit or not.
said by jbob:

I think he means the HOST DNS, final hop or Host name, not a DNS server. Even the info provided in the email/letter shows Infringers DNS Address: C-71... blah blah blah
said by mdmaddox:

Thanks for the help!
The text string that is used for the pseudo hostname assigned to an end user's dynamic IP address is totally meaningless. It can be whatever the network tech who keys it in wants it to be (in fact there is no requirement for a hostname at all). In the case of a national ISP like Comcast, even the semi-traditional city-state part of that text string is only accurate if someone bothers to change it when the associated IP address block is moved from San Francisco to Chicago to Boston as frequently happens. The only thing that matters in the case of a copyright infringement notification is if the ISP's database says that the IP address in question was assigned to a specific user on the date/time in question (and good luck proving that it was not assigned to you if the ISP says it was). Maybe that would be a good reason to use the DSLR 24/7 line monitoring service, but that could be a two edge sword if it proved the the IP address in question actually was in use by you during the time in question.

clear it up
@comcast.net

clear it up

Anon

Hi just want to clear up a few things. In the file name is the tag HR which means it's a high resolution video that will be roughly twice the size of the normal releases. or about 700 MB.

Secondly I've NEVER seen anyone get a notice like this on a file that has been rar'd or zipped. I suggest sticking to those in the future.
hadirtyJlo
join:2004-03-31
Elk Grove, CA

hadirtyJlo

Actually, the HD rips of TV shows that I see are only about 350mb, it's that wonderful XviD codec. I understand that the HR might mean it's a bit bigger, but at the same time it still doesn't fit. I don't have anything even remotely resembling that file name, nor would I download something that's twice the size I'd need. Comcast screwed the pooch on this one, no matter what kind of evidence they might have. Already sent an email to the dmca address given explaining the situation. Did some checking and it looks like I did have the IP address in question during that period of time, however, the fact remains that no one in the house downloaded the file, and my wireless was turned off during that period, AND I have never touched a 700mb TV episode, ever.

DJ

mdmaddox
Premium Member
join:2002-12-29
Federal Way, WA

mdmaddox to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer
It's just not that straight forward if you keep digging. You may find that the MAC that was assigned that IP isn't your's and or that you are only paying for IP but comcast has assigned 2 of them to you at the same time!

You have to look behind the curtain! In this post so far the replay has been that all these other point are prone to error and the lack of the ISP keeping up with there network but yet you want or believe then that the one database if beyond error!

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

4 edits

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by mdmaddox:

It's just not that straight forward if you keep digging. You may find that the MAC that was assigned that IP isn't your's and or that you are only paying for IP but comcast has assigned 2 of them to you at the same time!

You have to look behind the curtain! In this post so far the replay has been that all these other point are prone to error and the lack of the ISP keeping up with there network but yet you want or believe then that the one database if beyond error!
But none of that has anything to do with your other vague statements "Make sure the dns is the right one for your house" and "That DNS is the last hope anyone will see if they trace your current IP address back to you" which are apparently a reference to the often meaningless pseudo hostname assigned by an ISP to an end user's dynamic IP address.

Here are a few examples which have been discussed in this forum which illustrate the arbitrary text strings which may be used as a pseudo hostname for a dynamic IP assigned to an end user (or even a router or switch), and why those values would be meaningless in a judicial proceeding.

»IP Address Resolves to an out of State Hostname
»Wierd issue with my IP
»[Connectivity] Tracrt reveals I go through Europe
»Domain question