kudos:1

4 edits

5 recommendations

reply to EGeezer

This time a Bigun

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
This time a Bigun (top)...I'd guess ~12K ft at least (a 18mm wide angle lens and barely fit it in well over a mile off)... thost littel black balls are the tops of likely 30-40 ft tall palm trees MUCH (like 7-10X+) closer than the cloud.

You do not want to be in that dark grey area to the lower right that is a HUGE down pour pissed out the bottom.... literally like someone continuously dumping buckets of solid water on you. Literally a tip to direct stern water blasting rocket.
Much fainter suff to left of center is normal heavy rain.... a faint grey blanket.

And then the bottom of same thunderhead about 20 min and 80 deg more left moved, straight out in front later and a good part of a mile closer, with a little internal lightning and note the out pour has greatly broadened (as well as less dense), and the cloud collapsed/dissipated all together in about another 15 min, largely due to the loss of sun heat keeping it heated and strongly convecting. So wider no longer convecting water just falling out vs the earlier concentrated jet of intense rain with strong circulating convection.... something you definitely go around in a plane.

Top shot almost a cloud rocket... you wouldn't want to be in the middle of that cloud (or the out pour) as serene as it might look.

And just to give some scale of this thing... in second shot the other tall clouds are the typical high hudreds, couple of thousand foot ones, and maybe a bit farther off but this thing was huge... and glad it stayed out THERE and never dumped on me... but seeing that kind of thing coming know when to run (and might warn an ignorant nearby tourist to do so too ) may look pretty but gonna make you VERY soggy in a few min... but this one was going to stay offshore.

PS Just in pic at at extreme far right in top shot is a NOAA remote tide and weather reporting station.

PPS... 3rd shot a day later.... oddly enough no real rain got here... later looking radar showed 3 little green/yellow cells all arond the island, but never got on shore but sure visually looked like biking back in that direction (certainly far side or beyond the far side of 3rd pic) I was likely to get real wet, thankfully weather poroof cam bag ... not just a single cloud a whole marching slew of them! (Actually it did rain some but not til I got to my next destination and not as long or hard as I would have expected)... again mostly off shore... where there was a waterspout/tornado by then, but too dark to catch by then

Also a better look at that NOAA solar powered remote tide and WX station.

It is peak hurricane season.... also peak impressive cloud formation season.
--
»haywardm.com (Hayward's Key West)

Those are some nice shots and descriptions - Thanks Hayward!

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

4 edits

2 recommendations

Click for full size
Thanks for the comment.... a potentially scary but also impressively beautiful time of year here.

Late Nov-May mostly all you see is a big orange ball falling in the ocean out of clear blue sky, REAL boring , unless you have never seen the sun hit the water. (I realize many don't) Non obscuring or reflective clouds are what make sunsets interesting.

This being a reflective example (facing away from sunset on one of the FURY cats)... and still WX... had to go in early due to heat lighting turning into bolts... no more skirting anymore this is where we have to get to dock.... even though we get to dock at 8 something we will serve you beer and Margaritas until 8:30 at the dock as promised.... but we are going to get out of the great wide open here NOW for your and our safety, you really don't want to be out here on a giant lightning rod (steel hull and aluminium mast).... much safer at dock right next to a taller building.

And neither you or musicians instruments want to get real wet. (They did have bunches of BIG trash bags for the later eventuality though)... not that night but a couple of nights later was necessary.

--

Sunsetstrip
Go Kings
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-08
West Hollywood, CA

3 recommendations

reply to EGeezer

Re: Post your weather pictures here

First day of Fall,taken this morning at Mt Pinos California,just north of Los Angeles.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL

4 edits

3 recommendations

reply to EGeezer

What is/defines weather? (Has to be nasty for some to care?

Click for full size
Click for full size
Sometime you just have to wait throuh 20 boring minutes for things to get there
I think in whole lot of ways this does for the beauty that existed between so real threatening dark T-storm on either side.... that might be otherwise scaring you, if not just being on bike VERY wet ecaping shortly after, but somepost ss sun snuck though for a few minutes to do some magic. And several levels of clouds/weather there.

For instance this first one is sideways to sunset that never happened that night but sub horizon crept over the cloudbank to illuninate this. (Most tourist never see... they scatter the moment sun goes below horizon ands never see the well after litteral sunset when something spectacular is most likely to happen like this, and agai when blocked even before sundown not seeing what may come 10 min later.

Can't see the whole panorama of dark and light... but yeah this is weather in the rather narow lull moment of happening.... you just had to seee it coming and wait for it and lasted maybe two min. befor gone to gray again, and again a sort of boring 15 min after literal sunset... but looking at the sky was pretty sure this sort of thing was coming and waited.

Even enough forthought so to haul out the external SLR flash and have it monted, knowing I probably wanted this immediate forground person lit as well, if the silohette was not it (and it wasn't). And flash even lit the front fisher person as well somewhat.

And second shot the same thing.... and actually WELL eveident was going to happen before actual sundown (vs first shot) but the touriststs still split (fine they are out of my way and borred kid not bumping to me or drunken hubby) the second the big red ball fell below the horizon.

By the way what is the technical name for that kind of coloquialy called popcorn clouds, in top of second shot? Hard to tell maybe but distict little mini clouds with blue between them all if looking more straight up.
--

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Those are some beauts! Those are probably Altocumulus clouds. We called that a mackerel sky.
--
My Flickr Gallery

dfghdfsgdfghdfg

@comcast.net
reply to EGeezer

crazy rain storm in denver this summer...

sumdumgai

join:2007-07-23

1 recommendation

reply to EGeezer
crazy rain storm in Denver this summer....

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJMSJkNpF0k

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL

4 edits
reply to EGeezer

Re: What is/defines weather? (Has to be nasty for some to care?

said by EGeezer:

Those are some beauts! Those are probably Altocumulus clouds. We called that a mackerel sky.
Yeah as they are spotted fish that imagery would fit too. .. but can often look like sky born popcorn kernals.... and when clear enough sky near (or even clear just below) horizon, will more often than not look like this though shades can vary from bright amber to very deep magenta.... this one sort of in the middle.

And again that they aren't around bumping into me, a good thing.... so many toristS leave the SECOND the BIG RED ball subsides the horizon... yet you kow what you are seeing.... knew (and even physical signs of it) developing THIS WAS LIKELY COMING you wait another 5-10 min. And then them bitching such a so so sunset... your fault not mine And yet even WELLL before sundown, I could see it starting and had no doubt it WOULD happen if not a solid cloud bank below the horizon.
--

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
Midwest
Reviews:
·Callcentric

2 edits
Click for full size
Apres Sunset
Click for full size
More Apres Sunset
Well, we're in our annual vacation at Holden Beach, a lovely place with wonderful people. We don't experience the tension and mutual dislike between tourists and residents that you indicate exists at Key West, thank heavens. We're more like neighbors and guests here. I'd hate to vacation in a place with such stress, no matter how physically beautiful.

Back on topic, I agree there are undiscovered beauties in the hours before sunrise and after sunset. We (wife and I) prefer to go out and watch the sunset here, and the light is spectacular for the several minutes after the sun has gone below the horizon. As several of the previously posted pictures show, it doesn't have to be nasty out for weather to be beautiful. cloud formations, ocean and mountain sunrise/sunsets, fronts over the plains, even to pollution sunsets of the LA area have their own beuty(although one might put that in the "nasty" category!

The second picture was taken several minutes after sunset, almost dark, at ISO100, 1.3 seconds, F3.2. It was noisy and I neat imaged it in a not-too-great hurry-up job.
--
My Flickr Gallery

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL

4 edits
OH don't get me WRONG the good tourists are EXACTLY LIKE that (vs those that think this should be just like where they came from... you needed to go on vacation with that expectation???.... no MacDonald's or Dunknin Donusts right around the corner??)...and there are those financial tourists that bought condo/timseshares at the about to burst bubble that burst real estate boom... and we can't flip this condo realator said we could (like markets never go down) we never intended to EVEN even visit.... Like DUHHH moron real estate and stocks are NOT guarateeded.... better know your head from your ass going in.

Amd very laughaqbly some of them have even tried to sue on that basis.... fortuately laws still says no protection for being an IDIOT or IGNORANT of law... laughed out of court...after 3 signifficant one MASSIVE (Dennis, Katrina Rita) hurricanes (then Wilma 70% of KW under 4+ ft of water)) might all come through in the same year..... no this is not a FIXED bet.... SORRY you bought at a very artificial peak and threw CRAPS.

SORRY too for straying OT as a reply.... now back to your regulaqrly schedualed viewing, and not the BS.
--

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL

4 edits

1 recommendation

reply to EGeezer

No news isn't necessarrily bad news

Click for full size
Sometime you just see stuff walking away from clear sky bordom
There are traces of cloud/weather there though .... can't always be spectacular... yet was briefly rained on 15 min later. (The clouds sneakink up from behind.

A sort of mediocres plain sky night again no news can be good news compared to not so much hurricane but rain (where it was not needed and in EXCESS) and tornado this season and particularly this day MW has been

But just a calm shot tonight as I was walking away... and caught my eye, and homeless looking (but did own a nice bile) happened to tell.... a guy earlier (not him but observed) NIKON said would you take a pic of me and my wife.... sure... but the guy said need to backed up , and stepped off the pier... with the NIKON.... pretty much went feet first into 3-4 ft of water and held the came over head... but N unlike the Pentax's not weatherproof... they can get even salt wet briefly (not weatherproofed lens they have yet to produce is the limitig factor). But still better bet.... have't tried it yet but bet would survive a dunking...it has strong rained on several times now. (K10D) Kept weak link ... not WP lens down, ecept to shoot, and the cupped by hand... and let the WP back, lense down take it between shielding the not WP lens.

Hppened to be a boring day sky wise.... but the second you stop paying attention likrly you will get kicked in the but for doing so

Just hapend to be one of those days with still actually a FULL month of technical hurricane season to go though, a month over the peak/median hump.... not really over until Nov 30 officially..... and in my 14 years here have seen one threaten in mid Nov.... again usually not over a Cat 1-2... not that that is particularly just fun and games.... yo aren't going to see a cat 5 likely now though.... though we are still a few days from WILLLLLMMMMAAAAA's aniversary.

That put 70% of Key West under 4+ ft of salt water/sewage, yet those who evacutaed were told before drainage of KW get your assed back to KW.... we in MIAMI need our shelters because our TOOTHPICK infrastructure failed.... NO FLOOD like KW likely no one heard of.... but gotta admint just a month after Katrina FEMA had a slight more clue of.... but them again anyone that STAYS in KW for a hurricanne EXPECTS, and is PREPARED to be on their own for at LEAST a week.

But POWER was back in at most 48 hours.... and much of that was delay waiting for areas to fully draqin dry and avoid accidental electrocution... thing I did before leving the house with 28" of water with dog to sit o top of car.... threw the MAIN breaker.... did not turn it back on untilpower was restored to the area and I was the tosee what might be fizzling.... another part of storm preparedness/plannig.

But Much of TOOTHPICK MIA/DADE it was as much as a MONTH or more before they had power back with just Cat 1 wind.... (VS passing Cat 3 here) and ZERO surge/flood

And also sadly while NO ONE died in they Keys, but MANY did'd in MIA/DADE from running generatrors indoors and other such stupid Sh** that had no ide or preparation or what itv was really all about.... and likel more evacuated the MIA/DADE than did the Keys, but those who stay here mostly but the dumb first timers who thnk its party time know what the story is... and even her oddly enough the idiot first time partiers don't die... though their freakking BS is a real PIA to thouse whe get stuck with dealing with them.

And they either learn or never stay again.

--

simplykristi
Cancer Sucks
Premium
join:2001-11-28
Blue Springs, MO

2 recommendations

reply to EGeezer

Click for full size
Pea-sized Hail
I would normally post this in my gallery but I haven't updated it yet. Anyway, we just had a thunderstorm move thru with pea-sized hail. It lasted less than a minute.

Kristi
--
My Photo Gallery: »www.simplykristi.smugmug.com/

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL

1 edit
If you are going to post... I know you know where you are but where is "SOMEWHERE" and when?

Not much point to posting here is no one even knows where you are talking about
--

simplykristi
Cancer Sucks
Premium
join:2001-11-28
Blue Springs, MO
I didn't know I had to post my location. If anyone wants to know, I live in Missouri. The picture was taken on my deck.

Kristi
--
My Photo Gallery: »www.simplykristi.smugmug.com/

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL

4 edits
It's not that you have to but sort of pointless for this forum if you don't and have a "SOMEWHERE" ID.... this is the internet.... it could otherwise be anywhere on the planet, any time in history. Thanks for the info... was this during the FL to Mich, tornado breakout a couple of days back? Or maybe a day earlier when it was LA to MN/WS... same storm line farther west, given where Missouri is, or some back side effect once it moved east.
--

Airwolf
Premium
join:2001-10-30
Windsor, ON

2 recommendations

reply to EGeezer
Pair of Sundogs taken in July, 2004.

Closeup

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
Midwest
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to simplykristi
It is helpful to post the location - It's not necessary to give an address to compromise personal security, but the county/parish, city and state are sufficient, eg
Northwest St. Louis MO
Wasilla, AK
Southeast Madison County, OH
Grove City, OH
Jefferson Parish, LA

These are specific enough for weather event purposes and still general enough to preserve personal privacy.

I posted the requested information and my examples in the OP when I created the topic.

HTH

EG
--
My Flickr Gallery

Premium
join:2003-08-09
Costa Mesa, CA

2 recommendations

reply to EGeezer
I have a few pics from the recent California firestorms.

The first one is a major smoke cloud that basically enveloped my area the first night / early morning of the fires. The second is of a building that had part of its roof removed from the strong winds. The third is a slightly different vantage point of the smoke cloud.

wth
Premium
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom

3 recommendations

reply to EGeezer
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
12/11/2007 Ice Storm.

Sunsetstrip
Go Kings
Premium,MVM
West Hollywood, CA

1 recommendation

reply to EGeezer
Click for full size

All this cold is having it's effect even here in California,I was in Yosemite National Park earlier this week where night time temps were down to 4°.

Took this picture of Silver Strand Falls,just under 600' tall,it completely locked up in ice.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

2 recommendations

reply to EGeezer
Click for full size
Talcott Falls, Adams Ctr, NY
Picked up 3-4" of snow this morning after almost 2" of rain yesterday north of Syracuse. This normally placid falls was bursting today.
--
I'm third generation don't give a fcuk.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to EGeezer
Click for full size
Taken Thursday night, April 3, 2008.
Lariat # 2 Well – Sandridge Energy Co.
South of Ft Stockton , TX

I didn't take the pic. It was sent to me by a friend, but I thought it was pretty interesting to say the least. Not often can you see a tornado backlit like that.
--
If it's true that we learn from our mistakes, MENSA should honor me with their highest award!

yock
TFTC
Premium
join:2000-11-21
Miamisburg, OH
kudos:3
That's just ridiculous.

Axilla
Finger, Finger
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2004-13
join:2001-03-26
Schofield, WI
reply to Pacrat
Looks very similar to the forum logo. minus the well.

yock
TFTC
Premium
join:2000-11-21
Miamisburg, OH
kudos:3
Could be a photoshop job, and it kinda looks it anyway. The logo is definitely taken from the same source material.

Axilla
Finger, Finger
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2004-13
join:2001-03-26
Schofield, WI
I still have yet to find to correct source for that image. Its certainly not from April 3, 2008 since the forum logo has been there for quite some time.

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
Midwest
Reviews:
·Callcentric
Apparently the tornado/lightning photo (no oil rig though) was taken at Lake Okeechobee about 10 PM on June 15, 1991. See NWS Melbourne FL's archived page, Snopes and here for references.

It is a beautiful photo, though, and we might not have known about the "real" one had the photoshopped version not been posted.
--
Mayors of New York come from nowhere and go nowhere.
Wallace Sayre (apparently, so do governors... )

Sunsetstrip
Go Kings
Premium,MVM
West Hollywood, CA

1 recommendation

reply to EGeezer
Click for full size
Taken May 7th near Silvergate Montana,the northern Rockies are still getting snow,just returned from 10 days there and snow during six of them.

I have never seen so much snow so late in the season and it shows in the ungulates in the region,they have either not migrated or the ones that have look very thin

This area had over 100" of snowfall in March alone
--
My Photo Gallery

"Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk."

Edward Weston

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL

4 edits
reply to Pacrat
quote:
Taken Thursday night, April 3, 2008.
Lariat # 2 Well – Sandridge Energy Co.
South of Ft Stockton , TX

I didn't take the pic. It was sent to me by a friend, but I thought it was pretty interesting to say the least. Not often can you see a tornado backlit like that.
OK TX, was going to question anything like that could happen in OH...

But SERIOUSLY this is REAL??? No PS, etc.... an awsome shot (and I rarely use that word)... never sent it to news?

EDIT OOPS rereading now I see NOT yours... and honestly in KW have captured some amazing things, but I have a REAL hard time no thinking that is at least a composite shot

Though CNN is into the freebie IReporter stuff these days that is one likely they would PAY them for... maybe not now but then, again if some eye witness said they saw it too... just looks too perfect though. Nature is rarely that neat.

Relooking again and sad for them if it is... but that JUST CAN'T be real, its just TOO perfect... they should have dirtiedy it up some.
--