Miamisburg, OH

yock to MDReferee

Premium Member

to MDReferee

Re: DSLR Mafia Game 11 - The Pirates of Broadtown - GAME

said by MDReferee:

Yar... I be trustin' th' tech!

Vote: lol
And with that, our game comes to an end.

lol is a simple deckhand, and an innocent citizen.

Remaining mutineers are MDReferee and AmeritecTech. Their pirate discussions can be seen here.

Sarah

join:2001-01-09
New York, NY

Sarah

Yarr. Good game MDRef and 'tech.

This game was aggravating for a whole host of reasons, but I place blame squarely on the players. I thought it was a neat idea for a game and I liked the theme and the roles a lot.

I was trying to keep up while out of town and while very sick so I wouldn't be holding up the game for others, and meanwhile half the players barely bothered to participate That sucked. And I got way too aggravated with people who didn't post. But really, please rethink joining games if you're not going to post for days at a time.

I wonder if it was slightly too mafia-heavy - a 1:3 ratio, plus the mafia had a godfather, a doctor, the traitor, and a roleblocker. 40% of their roles would show up innocent to an investigation. We also had the roleblocker, doctor + psych, and a cop, but we were also crippled by the bad cop role which led us to lynch two townies. And the magistrate is a really frustrating role to have in the game, as a townie. (In retrospect the one I modded was too mafia-heavy as well - I try to analyze the games now and see how I could improve it to be a better balance.)

Lesson to lol and older dog: this is why you don't want to appear to defend people (chlen) without knowing their role. You never know who you're giving a second chance to, and it makes you look scummy to the rest of the town when that person turns up scum.
older dog
Premium Member
join:2005-06-09

older dog

Premium Member

In another game with a different set of players you would appear scummy if you did not pull a vote quickly off a role claim such as a cop or doc.

Kind of a rock and a hard place

Sarah

New York, NY

Sarah

I'm not talking about unvoting him after he claimed... everyone did that, including me.

But lol made some vague comment about how it "isn't a good idea" to lynch chlen before chlen had even posted, and then you and he both said we should give him a chance to post or roleclaim before lynching him. When he turned up scum, that made you look pretty guilty.

yock
TFTC
Premium Member
join:2000-11-21
Miamisburg, OH

yock to Sarah

Premium Member

to Sarah
The game was supposed to be counterbalanced by a single player that could identify the mutiny captain, but I suspect I neglected to detail that sufficiently to Dezbend. Dirtyjeffer was the Commodore, his thing was that he saw all pirate-speaking players as scum. That was supposed to also continue through to AmeritecTech, the Captain, but I'm not so sure that happened.

The thing that frustrated me the most is that so many of you guys saw the dialect restrictions as a chore and a problem to be solved. As a result, you all used these online translators that made your speech unreadable rather than following the dialect example I game you in your role PM. As a result, too much of the game was spent deciphering nonsense rather than looking for players' missteps in their dialect.

Dezbend
MVM
join:2001-04-20

Dezbend

MVM

when I was mode dirty jeffer investigated ameritectech and I told him that he was a bad pirate. Not specifically the godfather.

but maxo had gotten clean results earlier in the game so no one believed dirty jeffer.

Sarah

New York, NY

Sarah to yock

to yock
The problem there was that since some of his results were wrong, we didn't believe him when he said 'tech was scum...

I never really had any trouble reading the pirate talk... Maxo posed a bit of a challenge but thankfully he didn't talk too much

yock
TFTC
Premium Member
Miamisburg, OH

yock to Dezbend

Premium Member

to Dezbend
said by Dezbend:

when I was mode dirty jeffer investigated ameritectech and I told him that he was a bad pirate. Not specifically the godfather.

but maxo had gotten clean results earlier in the game so no one believed dirty jeffer.
That's what he was supposed to get, so that's a good thing. =)

MDReferee
Federal Flack
Premium Member
join:2001-10-21
Germantown, MD

MDReferee to Sarah

Premium Member

to Sarah
I think what did it, besides AT's brilliance at the end, was the lack of participation as well. It was easy for the vocal players to make an argument and have people follow.

Chlen made a masterful roleclaim at just the right time (orchestrated by AT), it gave us just one extra day. I was also terrified that Maxo was going to get me on his last investigation. That would've changed the balance considerably as I would've come up dirty. Had that happened, I probably would have gone with some kind of Miller claim, but that wouldn't have flown as you guys already had me on the radar. I would've been forced into a WIFOM argument.

You guys were about to lynch me, but it was actually Sarah's jump to aztec that gave us a little more time to swing enough people somewhere else. Had aztec come in and dropped the Hammah on me, it would've been just about over.

Anyway, well played by those that attempted to wade through this one all the way to the end...

Thanks to yock (and backup mod Dez) for hanging in there.

And of course, big props to Maxo for staying true to his creole all the way through.

yock
TFTC
Premium Member
Miamisburg, OH

yock to Sarah

Premium Member

to Sarah
said by Sarah:

The problem there was that since some of his results were wrong, we didn't believe him when he said 'tech was scum...
That's a testament to his skill more than anything, unless you were ignoring his results entirely. I'm not so sure I agree with that disposition, but I wasn't playing either.

Sarah

New York, NY

Sarah

You would have lynched 'tech after what we'd seen? Doubtful.

Dirtyjeffer gives us three "scum" results. Antares, cow, and ameritectech. We know Antares was scum; but 'tech was cleared by Maxo.

We run a "test" by lynching cow. Cow is innocent. Thus I figure he's a paranoid cop. He didn't give us any innocent results at all to make me think he was getting anything but "scum" results.

Why would we then go on to kill another person that our actual real cop had pegged as innocent?

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium Member
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY

Rook008

Premium Member

I would have lynched Tech close to the beginning of the game. I was honest when I said that I wanted the Mafia dead. They were the only ones who could have killed me without bringing it to a vote. I didn't trust Mastr Blastr, tried to kill him, was blocked. I didn't trust MDreferee, tried to kill him, it failed. I don't remember exactly, but I think I did try to kill Ameritectech too.

Do Independent Roles count as Scum, or Independent?

I still can't believe you guys let Ameritech live until the end of the game.

Sarah

New York, NY

Sarah

Part of it was that killing off the active people would have made the game slower and slower...

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium Member
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY

Rook008

Premium Member

I know, but at least it would have killed some Mafia.

I for one liked the Pirate speak. I wasn't too fond of the Creole, but there was only 2 of them. And they didn't say much. The game lagged because people were just not participating. Even after people just started to add matey and argg, there was no movement. It was a little harder at first, but it kind of grows on you.

Good Game guys. Thanks again for sticking it out Yock. It had some very good moments.

chlen
Ethically Challenged
Premium Member
join:2001-01-16
Saratoga, NY

chlen to Sarah

Premium Member

to Sarah
I had a pretty easy roleclaim, because in a previous game (11 i think) we were heading to a "no lynch" I logged on later to find myself being strung up on the first day. I was the cop and they killed me anyways. This may be why older dog said what he said. So I had good credibility to roleclaim, also since I technically was a doctor, I 0played as one and laid low.
older dog
Premium Member
join:2005-06-09

older dog

Premium Member

said by chlen:

I had a pretty easy roleclaim, because in a previous game (11 i think) we were heading to a "no lynch" I logged on later to find myself being strung up on the first day. I was the cop and they killed me anyways. This may be why older dog said what he said.
Correct
That and my first or second game a similar situation came up, the consensus was that you should back off quickly to prevent the mafia from possibly finishing off someone.