spc
Search similar:

uniqs
rdsport323
join:2001-05-28
Irvine, CA

rdsport323

Easy way to fix a door from slamming?

I was wondering if there was an inexpensive and relatively easy-to-do way of stopping a door from slamming every time someone opens it?

The door leading into my garage is a typical door, that tends to slam a LOT if the door isn't gently eased back to close position. If someone were to run in the house without holding the door, the door would slam shut which then causes the windows and stuff to shake and rattle.

I've tried adding these velcro stickie things to the striker plate which did work at first but it also made it a huge hassle if I ever wanted to close the door since there was stuff basically in the way of where the deadbolt would fastened.

So anyone have suggestions on where or how I can slow this door down to prevent it from slamming all the time?

Thanks!

Warzau
Premium Member
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL

Warzau

Premium Member

What one of those fire doors with spring hinges?

Kramer
Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA

1 recommendation

Kramer to rdsport323

Mod

to rdsport323
I found this concept interesting. »www.chasmood.com/archi-dcc.htm

SandShark5
Long may you run
Premium Member
join:2000-05-23
Santa Fe, TX

SandShark5

Premium Member

said by Kramer:

Looks like that would do it. Nice find.
rdsport323
join:2001-05-28
Irvine, CA

rdsport323 to Kramer

to Kramer
said by Kramer:

wow, that would work... sucks there is no place to order them online..

wonder if home depot has something along those lines.

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser

Premium Member

This is what I find for the US. He might be able to help you.

DICTATOR U.S. Inc.
Mr. Greg Rowell
info@dictator.com
(770) 427-9555
»www.dictator.com

Greg_Z
Premium Member
join:2001-08-08
Springfield, IL

Greg_Z to rdsport323

Premium Member

to rdsport323
This is an even better solution »www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn? ··· age=none , due to the other door closers break too soon, compared to the hydrolic closers.

whizkid3
MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY

2 recommendations

whizkid3 to rdsport323

MVM

to rdsport323
said by rdsport323:

Easy way to fix a door from slamming?
Put your kids up for adoption?

StepR
Code Warrior
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Elgin, IL

StepR to rdsport323

Premium Member

to rdsport323
Can't you twist the the tube on the pneumatic door closer? I have one setting for Winter and one for Summer. In Summer, there is a screen instead of a storm window so the door closes faster. I twist the standard pneumatic tube to change the velocity.
»www.acehardware.com/sm-w ··· 936.html
seederjed
Premium Member
join:2005-02-28
Norcross, GA

seederjed to rdsport323

Premium Member

to rdsport323
Do you have one of those top mounted door closers like they have in commercial buildings or a self closing hinge? The hinge is usually the middle one and looks like it has a cylinder on it. If it is the former, there are adjustment screws on the top to make it close faster or slower. If it is a hinge, they are adjusted with an allen wrench. To much tightening and the internal spring will snap, making it function like a normal hinge. These were put on doors leading from garages to the house due to the building code, but are no longer required, if I remember right.

Quiglag
God is Love
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Ontario, CA

Quiglag to rdsport323

Premium Member

to rdsport323
You don't say if you have a closer, but if you do, you need to adjust it by usually screwing in the screw on the side. If it is a more commercial type it will have allen screws labeled: BC = Backcheck speed, S = Sweep speed, L = Latch speed. Backcheck is the speed for opening the door, Sweep is the closing speed up till about about a foot away, then Latch takes over the closing speed.

If it is a spring hinge, there should be an allen wrench adjustment on the pin.

If it is non of those, then your door is not set plumb. If it isn't set plumb, look at the gaps between the door and the frame when the door is closed, and get back to me, preferably with photos.

Hope this helps.