Search similar:

uniqs

Weirdal
Premium Member
join:2003-06-28
Grand Island, NE

Weirdal

Premium Member

What do you call this fake wood grain and where do I get it?

Basically, I've got 30 of these plywood shelves that have been cut to size. I'm going to install them in 30 different rooms at a veteran's hospital.

Pic (click for very large):

I need to find a place to buy that fake wood grain so I can cut it and glue it on the sides of each shelf.

Here is a couple pictures of a bare and finished side of the shelf. The fake wood trim (or whatever it's called) is about .8mm thick:

Sorry for the blurry pics, I guess my hand isn't steady enough for my camera's macro mode.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't even know what you would call it so it's hard to start searching for it. Thanks.

Sureshot
Cellar Dweller
Premium Member
join:2000-08-15
Woodruff, WI

Sureshot

Premium Member

It is called veneer. Here is a site grabbed from google.

»www.oakwoodveneer.com/
Sureshot

Sureshot to Weirdal

Premium Member

to Weirdal
THIS seems to be the closest.

Weirdal
Premium Member
Grand Island, NE

Weirdal

Premium Member

said by Sureshot:

Thanks a lot, knowing it's called veneer will help a lot now.

That one might not be dark red enough to match. I wonder if there would be a major retail store that sells it so I could look at some samples before buying it.

ninjatutle
Premium
join:2006-01-02
San Ramon, CA

ninjatutle to Weirdal

to Weirdal
Home depot or lowes should carry them. You just use an iron to glue it on.

Sureshot
Cellar Dweller
Premium Member
Woodruff, WI

Sureshot to Weirdal

Premium Member

to Weirdal
You may have woodworking stores in the area. Check the phone book. They would have swatches. Some of the websites would probably send you some as well.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

1 recommendation

Caddyroger to Weirdal

Premium Member

to Weirdal
Here is a couple of internet sites that has veneer's
»www.lumberliquidators.co ··· goryId=4

»www.cabinetparts.com/sho ··· odGDmV-Q

»www.rockler.com/product. ··· age=2215

Or google veneer for others

Lil Jon
Premium Member
join:2006-06-26
Cincinnati, OH

Lil Jon to Sureshot

Premium Member

to Sureshot
said by Sureshot:

yea i bought that, its a nice replica

Warzau
Premium Member
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL

Warzau to Weirdal

Premium Member

to Weirdal
You'll need also contact cement and a vernier trimmer,prob could rent it.

ArthurS
Watch Those Blinking Lights
Premium Member
join:2000-10-28
Hamilton, ON

1 edit

ArthurS to Weirdal

Premium Member

to Weirdal
As an alternative, you can use regular hardwood of the same species, cut it to thin strips, and stain and glue to the edge of the particleboard. Or if you're looking for a really polished look, with a router and this bit set, you can make those edges look really smooth!

Dan Pasquale
@covad.net

Dan Pasquale to Weirdal

Anon

to Weirdal
Can't believe a hospital would let you install origin unknown particle board with out a a VOC data sheet. Hope you have your company liability insurance paid up.

Jon5
Premium Member
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

Jon5 to Weirdal

Premium Member

to Weirdal
Go to Home depot and go to the Kitchen cabinet area.
They sell long, thin (about 1" x 8') strips of it for finishing the cut ends of toe kicks. Like ninjatutle See Profile said, it just irons on.

you could find cabinets that match that color and have them order a few for you. They may even carry it but usually it needs to be ordered.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

1 recommendation

cdru to Warzau

MVM

to Warzau
said by Warzau:

You'll need also contact cement and a vernier trimmer,prob could rent it.
I'd just get the heat-activated edge banding. And you can also find a decent veneer trimmer for under $10. Sure you can pay more, and you sometimes get what you pay for, but particle board shelving isn't exactly ultra-high end woodworking either.

Weirdal
Premium Member
Grand Island, NE

Weirdal to Dan Pasquale

Premium Member

to Dan Pasquale
said by Dan Pasquale :

Can't believe a hospital would let you install origin unknown particle board with out a a VOC data sheet. Hope you have your company liability insurance paid up.
The hospital purchased the boards.

Sureshot
Cellar Dweller
Premium Member
Woodruff, WI

1 recommendation

Sureshot to ArthurS

Premium Member

to ArthurS
said by ArthurS:

As an alternative, you can use regular hardwood of the same species, cut it to thin strips, and stain and glue to the edge of the particleboard. Or if you're looking for a really polished look, with a router and this bit set, you can make those edges look really smooth!
That is going a bit overboard for veneer crap. No offense to the op. It's garbage particle board with a veneer top. You want him to polish a 78' Pinto

ArthurS
Watch Those Blinking Lights
Premium Member
join:2000-10-28
Hamilton, ON

ArthurS

Premium Member

said by Sureshot:

That is going a bit overboard for veneer crap. No offense to the op. It's garbage particle board with a veneer top. You want him to polish a 78' Pinto
Depends on where it's going and what it's going to be used for. If durability is a concern, I'd take hardwood edging routed properly and glued to the particle board any day over veneer or edge banding that has a tendency of peeling off over time, especially if this is going to be washed and/or scrubbed on a regular basis. You get what you pay for!

Ken
MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN

1 recommendation

Ken

MVM

If they wanted any kind of quality they wouldn't be using particle board.

sdgthy
@optonline.net

sdgthy

Anon

And that says it all...

Get the iron-on banding, stain to match and call it a day.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to Weirdal

Mod

to Weirdal
Another option which may hold up better is to use vinyl T molding. It wouldn't look like wood but you eliminate the problem of matching the wood and finishing the edge.

»www.cabinetmart.com/56-x ··· 175.html

Quiglag
God is Love
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Ontario, CA

1 recommendation

Quiglag to Weirdal

Premium Member

to Weirdal
First off, make sure you are looking for plastic laminate, and not veneer. Veneer is usually real wood, but they sometimes call plastic laminate with wood grain veneer too, but it is not the same. I get to work with this stuff everyday at work, and I am pretty sure I have used the exact color you are looking for. Unfortunately I don't have the name of it. If I could remember the last job we used it on, I could look up the style number, but I cant.

So you want to be looking for a plastic laminate supplier.

Another thing. If you go with the same laminate, the only way you will be able to cut it is with a router. Its too thick to be cut any other way.

Your best bet is to get some edge banding in a similar color. It is thin enough to cut with a sharp knife, or one of these »www.rockler.com/product. ··· age=1266 These guys might have a color that matches »www.cabinetmart.com/74-x.html Home depot might even sell it. Stay away from the hot glue type, if you live in a hot area, it will melt itself off. Use a good contact cement, from the hardware store.

Hope this helps, if you have any questions, send me a PM
Quiglag

Quiglag to Ken

Premium Member

to Ken
said by Ken:

If they wanted any kind of quality they wouldn't be using particle board.
I work with plastic laminate just about everyday, I don't know what you see, but from what I see, 95% of the cabinets, and such are particle board, 3% plywood, 2% MDF. If it is real wood its about 50/50 plywood MDF. Keep in mind this is all spec'd and it is going into schools, hospitals, hotels, banks, etc.