uniqs
share rss forum feed

C DM

join:2002-12-31

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to NetWatchMan

Re: Stupid User Tricks: Password Selection - "WORD1"

So is it considered OK to run phishing sites and/or use botnets (even if they are for "research" purposes)?

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
said by C DM:

So is it considered OK to run phishing sites and/or use botnets (even if they are for "research" purposes)?
I think he looks like a white hat to me. Know your enemy and all that.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

NetWatchMan
Premium
join:2001-03-13
Alpharetta, GA
reply to C DM
said by C DM:

*I* was not running a phishing site...the malware, the botnet, and the miscreant were...I only allowed it to be active for a short period of time....the only reason I let it run for 12 hours was I thought it wasn't doing anything.

My goals are not "research" oriented...unfortunately, I can't elaborate on that point.

I agree that these tactics push the envelope but believe they are essential to countering cybercrime.
--
Lawrence Baldwin
myNetWatchman
The Internet Neighborhood Watch

technick
Premium
join:2000-12-16
Wheat Ridge, CO
kudos:1
said by NetWatchMan:

*I* was not running a phishing site...the malware, the botnet, and the miscreant were...I only allowed it to be active for a short period of time....the only reason I let it run for 12 hours was I thought it wasn't doing anything.

My goals are not "research" oriented...unfortunately, I can't elaborate on that point.

I agree that these tactics push the envelope but believe they are essential to countering cybercrime.
I couldn't agree more, the only way to be secure is to know all the possible angles of attack and how to counter them efficiently while moving forward.
--
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising everytime we fall." - Confucius

Bellsouth Free Since 10/05 - To Hell With Bellsouth
Advocatus Diaboli

Streamfire.net

youveshutmedown

@sbcglobal.net
reply to NetWatchMan
said by NetWatchMan:

said by C DM:

Let me guess...related to this story?

»blog.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/

Nicely done. This appears to be ramping up to be an interesting summer, and year.