Premium Member
join:2001-03-13
Alpharetta, GA

NetWatchMan to C DM

Premium Member

to C DM

Re: Stupid User Tricks: Password Selection - "WORD1"

said by C DM:

So is it considered OK to run phishing sites and/or use botnets (even if they are for "research" purposes)?
*I* was not running a phishing site...the malware, the botnet, and the miscreant were...I only allowed it to be active for a short period of time....the only reason I let it run for 12 hours was I thought it wasn't doing anything.

My goals are not "research" oriented...unfortunately, I can't elaborate on that point.

I agree that these tactics push the envelope but believe they are essential to countering cybercrime.

technick
Premium Member
join:2000-12-16
Wheat Ridge, CO

technick

Premium Member

said by NetWatchMan:

*I* was not running a phishing site...the malware, the botnet, and the miscreant were...I only allowed it to be active for a short period of time....the only reason I let it run for 12 hours was I thought it wasn't doing anything.

My goals are not "research" oriented...unfortunately, I can't elaborate on that point.

I agree that these tactics push the envelope but believe they are essential to countering cybercrime.
I couldn't agree more, the only way to be secure is to know all the possible angles of attack and how to counter them efficiently while moving forward.

youveshutmedown
@sbcglobal.net

youveshutmedown to NetWatchMan

Anon

to NetWatchMan
said by NetWatchMan:

said by C DM:

So is it considered OK to run phishing sites and/or use botnets (even if they are for "research" purposes)?

Let me guess...related to this story?

»blog.washingtonpost.com/ ··· rityfix/

Nicely done. This appears to be ramping up to be an interesting summer, and year.