Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Gnarlodious

join:2003-06-25
Santa Fe, NM

2 edits

2Wire 2700HG-B Bridge Mode with Linksys WRT54GL

Let's say I want to totally disable my 2700HG-B and just use it as a modem. I already have DHCP disabled so I might as well send all requests to a more capable box. Is this what is called DMZ? How would I set it up?

jakethecat
Premium
join:2006-06-08
South Bend, IN

Re: Pass off static IP address to router...

DMZ mode disables the firewall for a specific connection. You can turn your 2Wire into a dumb modem by switching to bridged mode. Your ISP will not support your 2Wire in this configuration, you will need to configure the ISP authentication info into your 3rd party router.

- Clear the 2Wire to Factory State (hold little button on the back down for 30 seconds)
- Browse to gateway.2wire.net
- Click on the broadband Link icon
- Click on Advanced settings
- Enter VPI 0 and VCI 35
- Click on Disable PVC Search
- Set Connection Type to Direct IP
- Click Submit/Save
- Browse to gateway.2wire.net/mdc
- Click on Configure Services under the Advanced heading
- Uncheck the Enable Routing box
- Click Submit

Gnarlodious

Santa Fe, NM

I tried your instructions but was unable to make the modem connect. I tried all kinds of tricks over the course of several hours but in the end had to set it back to the unwanted config just to get internet.

Why is it so hard to plug in a router to a modem? back in the days when a router was just a router what did people do? Did they just plug in the router to the modem and watch it work?

jakethecat
Premium
join:2006-06-08
South Bend, IN
reply to Gnarlodious

The 2Wire is a router (and a DSL modem, and a firewall, and a WAP). SOHO routers do not do well when connected directly to each other (never mind the brand). The pain in the neck with bridge mode is that authentication needs to be handled externally. It is not unheard of for folks to have trouble making bridge mode work.

I am presuming your ISP is AT&T, as the 2700HG-B is AT&T branded. The 2wire can be set to assign your static IP addresses to specific computers connected directly to your 2wire. This is done via DHCP. It can sometimes be a little tricky to get it setup. I would recommend you talk to your ISP support.

Explain you need assistance configuring static IP addresses on your 2Wire residential gateway. They should transfer you to a tech that can rock that out for you. A 3rd party router in the mix will muck it all up, for this to work you will need to remove it.

2Wire residential gateways can't be the perfect CPE for everyone. So you may want to consider going with a a plain jane dumb DSL modem. Then you should not have a problem using your own router.

If you do want to use the 2Wire and have no luck with your ISP support, post back & we will see what we can do.

Good Luck!

- JTC

Gnarlodious

Santa Fe, NM

4 edits

2Wire 2700HG-B Bridge Mode with Linksys WRT54GL

Thank you for your help, it's up and running!
This modem is connected to Qwest DSL Supreme (7megabit) . The router is running Sveasoft Talisman firmware.
Here are a few details you forgot to mention in your instructions:

1) You must plug the modem's ethernet cable into the router's "WAN port". I always wondered what that port was for! It seemed unreasonable if it was there to occupy real estate on the back of my router.

2) In "Bridge Mode", the "Internet" LED on the modem does not go on.

3) It may take several minutes for all devices to connect, so give it some time.

4) The modem does not allow you to configure DNS or anything else in the dumb modem mode. LAN ports are not responsive.

5) Once you configure your modem in "Bridge Mode" and reboot it, it is not accessible by browser. You can't even ping it in Terminal. I assume the only way to get it back online is to reset the nvram. This makes me wonder how you troubleshoot DSL connection problems...

6) I was able to see in the router's web interface it had set its time. This verified the router was connected to the internet while I was unable to get a webpage in my browser.

Hope that helps in your future advising.

upb
Premium
join:2004-03-15
Carriere, MS
kudos:1

said by Gnarlodious:

5) Once you configure your modem in "Bridge Mode" and reboot it, it is not accessible by browser. You can't even ping it in Terminal. I assume the only way to get it back online is to reset the nvram. This makes me wonder how you troubleshoot DSL connection problems...
I find the quoted statement to be surprising. The reason is that I have a 2Wire 1801HG in bridge mode, and I can access the configuration pages easily at local address 192.168.1.254. Perhaps you will be successful if you configure your machine to have a static IP address of something like 192.168.1.2, and attempt to access the 2700 directly through its ethernet port (no external router connected).

I purchased the 1801HG instead of a pure modem because it was less expensive (geeks.com was selling them for $30 ea). It is used as part of a Linux SNAT router / firewall.

The 1801 is fussy about how you put it into bridge mode, apparently because of a programming error on the management page. Once you do get it into bridge mode, it is a very stable modem (nil disconnects) and is easily configured by the usual means. Taking it out of bridge mode is easy, and I have switched it back and forth between bridge and standard mode with no problems.

koolkid1563
Premium,MVM
join:2005-11-06
Powell, WY

I have two 3800's in bridge mode, and they are accessible at the address I have set them for (one is 192.168.1.253, the other is 192.168.1.252). My main 3800 is at .254.

codecx

join:2007-04-16
Mississauga, ON
reply to Gnarlodious

I'm just breezing through, going through a possible solution with a friend.. I had a question for anyone whose listening..

Why wouldn't simply taking a router and hooking it into the 2700HG-B, work?

What I proposed is this:

The 2700HG-B is working. the internal IP is 192.168.0.1 and assigns addresses to the PCs via DHCP. no problems so far.

What if you took a regular router...and hooked it up to the 2700HG-B..set up its "internet address" as static.. assign it an address of 192.168.0.2 and setup the "internet gateway" as the 2700HG-B's address 192.168.0.1..

Then of course on the 2700HG-B, set up 192.168.0.2 as the DMZ..

We're essentially telling the router that the internet exists at 192.168.0.1, which is true..the router would look for 192.168.0.1 and establish a connection with it..and having it set as a DMZ host with the firewall turned off on the 2700HG-B should treat it like a normal internet connection.

then we'd use the 2nd router to hook the PC's into, with its own firewall etc etc..

koolkid1563
Premium,MVM
join:2005-11-06
Powell, WY

That could work, certainly not the most efficient way of doing it, but it might work.

One thing to note is to have the second router's DHCP server assign addresses on a different subnet (192.168.1.x for example)

codecx

join:2007-04-16
Mississauga, ON

Yes, for sure.

Why not the most efficient though?
Its what I do with my router & my VOIP box..

PC -> WiFi Router -> VoIP box -> modem

muiredised
ESSE QUAM VIDERI

join:2007-06-11
Tacoma, WA
kudos:1

Not the most efficient because packets have an extra stop before reaching the computer. Typical users will never notice.

JimDandy68

join:2007-10-03
Seattle, WA
reply to codecx

Is there really any way to turn off the firewall in the 2700HG-B?

remarc

join:2007-08-10
Philippines

yes, the only way i i know to disable the SPI or the 2wire firewall is by bridging the modem. this takes out all router functionality of the 2wire.

JimDandy68

join:2007-10-03
Seattle, WA

Unfortunately, this defeats the purpose for me. I need to retain the router functionality of my 2700HG but link it to another router that I prefer, which can't negotiate PPPoA. I guess there's no solution to this problem.