spc
Search similar:

uniqs
pashcroft0
join:2007-06-28
North York, ON

pashcroft0

Sweet Revenge - Throttling

Fifteen months ago I cancelled my Rogers internet because of Bittorrent throttling and later cancelled my cell phones moving them all (3) to Primus.

I recently got a promotion and inherited the IT department and had them look into changing our almost 100 cell phones and 24 Blackberrys from Rogers to Bell. We were able to do so and save a lot of money. As I expected, the Rogers representative got through to me counter offer and to try to stop us moving, so I was able to tell him he could tell his boss he lost the business because of my personal dissatisfaction with Rogers throttling my home internet service.

I felt sorry for the account rep. but it did give me a lot of satisfaction.

habskilla
join:2005-09-19
Moncton, NB

habskilla

Sweet!!!

Man, that must of felt great!

Good for you.

Now you should followup with a letter to the President.
kliles
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

kliles to pashcroft0

to pashcroft0
I can appreciate your frustration with your home internet service, but I would have thought a business-related decision should have been made for business-related reasons.

How will you explain to your boss why you didn't save even more money for the company by listening to the counter offer from the Rogers account rep?

Willerd
@rogers.com

Willerd

Anon

Good for you, Pashcroft!

Hopefully, with enough people complaining, we'll all get through to Rogers that throttling of our bandwith usage is unfair.

We already have a cap in place. To have something to throttle or shape what we do with our bandith usage,
just isn't right.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

As mentioned many times, the cap and the throttling exist for two decidedly different purposes even if it looks like they might be.
puzz1ed
join:2005-02-20
Markham, ON

puzz1ed to kliles

to kliles
Lowest price is not the only criteria. It's perfectly reasonable to pay more to deal with a company you feel more comfortable with or trust more.

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

I think the general experience is that Rogers is NOT such a company.

koolin
join:2005-12-20
Canada

koolin

nice work. I just did something simular where we were looking for cells for the company I work for and it was between Rogers and Telus, Telus won. But not just cause of throttling, but I made sure the Rogers rep knew that throttling was one of the issues.
mannyfresh
join:2005-07-29

mannyfresh to pashcroft0

to pashcroft0
This guy obviously isn't a very good IT person if he makes decisions based on what happened with his home connection...

Talon88
The One
join:2003-08-13
Toronto

Talon88 to pashcroft0

to pashcroft0
:::

pashcroft0, You do a very good move!
But I don't think Rogers will wakeup!

:::
pashcroft0
North York, ON

pashcroft0 to mannyfresh

to mannyfresh
Maybe I'm not a perfect IT person but because I questioned the existing contract we save $25k per year and get all new phones, and Bell paid the cancelleation charges. Perhaps Rogers would have gone a bit better but if it weren't for me the company would be much worse off.

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook to mannyfresh

Mod

to mannyfresh
said by mannyfresh:

This guy obviously isn't a very good IT person if he makes decisions based on what happened with his home connection...
Well, he could have written it differently and said that because of his experiences with Rogers (and not say what they were), he went to look at Bell and got a better deal.

Then you wouldn't have been given the opportunity to make a statement like that. I think we have to draw on our experiences, wherever they came from. We learn all kinds of things in our day to day lives to help us make decisions in our work lives. Why should this be any different? After all, if Bell hadn't offered a better deal, then he wouldn't have moved that business ... which proves that the deal hinges predominantly on the price factor.

Winbacks generally aren't very effective anyway. Like the guy who is disgruntled with his job ... he'll still be disgruntled with if he's won back with a pay raise.

bite_back
@mc.videotron.ca

bite_back to pashcroft0

Anon

to pashcroft0
said by pashcroft0:

so I was able to tell him he could tell his boss he lost the business because of my personal dissatisfaction with Rogers throttling my home internet service.
Goes to show Rogers shouldn't bite the hand that feeds them. Well done on the cost savings, hope you get a raise.

Hope others follow your example.
pashcroft0
North York, ON

pashcroft0 to sbrook

to sbrook
sbrook,

You are right.

The president is also pretty happy he gets a new Blackberry.

It might have been different had Rogers come in and said, "look, we've been reviewing your contracts and we'd like to offer to replace half your equipment and save you $12k". I'd probably have have been pretty impressed and might have given them a chance or may even have given them an advantage in a rebid. As it was I felt they were acting "true to form" and was happy to see them scooped.

travisc
join:2001-11-09
Uxbridge, ON

travisc

You'll hate Bell within the time your contract with them is up, and go back to Rogers to no doubt save some money at that time.

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Well, there's always Belus
pashcroft0
North York, ON

pashcroft0 to travisc

to travisc
travisc,

I doubt it, but you may be right. However when they do their quarterly review of accounts lost, someone will have to have an explanation and they may even have to reference the letter I am now inspired to send.

Maybe there is no rationale but whether it's throttling, or telling me I have to buy my own amplifier for three cable outlets, or billing me for not returning a converter I did return - for some reason I just want Rogers to suffer.
Expand your moderator at work

k9snifferxx3
Don't sweat the small stuff.
Premium Member
join:2006-03-04
Calgary, AB

k9snifferxx3 to sbrook

Premium Member

to sbrook

Re: Sweet Revenge - Throttling

said by sbrook:

Well, there's always Belus
LOL.....

Sean8
join:2004-01-23
Toronto

Sean8 to mannyfresh

to mannyfresh
said by mannyfresh:

Why? Because of his personal experience, he can say that he does not trust Rogers as a company, and as an IT professional, that is ENOUGH to make the switch.
drunkgoat
join:2004-04-18

drunkgoat

looks like your story has been dugg

»digg.com/tech_news/REVEN ··· able_ISP

k9snifferxx3
Don't sweat the small stuff.
Premium Member
join:2006-03-04
Calgary, AB

k9snifferxx3 to mannyfresh

Premium Member

to mannyfresh
said by mannyfresh:

Do you work in IT at all?

I can not tell you how many times IT managers will make moves like this from personal experience. If they find a company is not trust worthy at there personal residence and they have another option at work and the numbers work guess what........

I run a home based business. Actually more than one business. I have my hands in many buckets in many different things, if I can't trust a company at home why would I (you) trust them with your business information.

If I have a client asking about a product and if I have a contact at the company I will try it before I recommend it.

I've even gone as far as buying certain products to try them before recommending them. I have recovered my cost plus turned a profit from it every time.

I usually can put a product through way more abuse than my clients can. One weekend in my house or in the field with me is the like 6 months with most of my clients. If I realy want to test it I let my parents at it. Talk about computer idiots. 1 day in there house is like 5 years of abuse from people who know what they are doing.

It takes 1000 compliments to make up for 1 disaster my father always told me growing up.
Expand your moderator at work
lawrence171
join:2001-12-24
Canada

lawrence171 to puzz1ed

to puzz1ed

Re: Sweet Revenge - Throttling

said by puzz1ed:

Lowest price is not the only criteria. It's perfectly reasonable to pay more to deal with a company you feel more comfortable with or trust more.
Bell vs. Rogers? Neither can be trusted that much with, but my experiences with Rogers have been better.

Bell Mobility's network sucks.