MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH

1 edit

Pacrat to gillespie

MVM

to gillespie

Re: Pre formed, either fiberglass or concrete steps

If it might be just a "temporary" measure, you might want to consider just making your own out of 2x10 treated lumber. After it dries, you can stain (opaque) it about any color you want... even concrete gray! Just a thought! A handful of 3" galvanized deck screws, a circular saw and a framing square, and you're in business. Can even use a round-over bit in a router to finish off the edges. Would be a lot cheaper than pre-cast concrete, and, in all probability, easier, too!

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

Coma

Premium Member

said by Pacrat:

If it might be just a "temporary" measure, you might want to consider just making your own out of 2x10 treated lumber.
Would be a lot cheaper than pre-cast concrete, and, in all probability, easier, too!

That is what I was thinking because I just did that with some steps leading up to my shop just last week. I used some 2x12's I had on hand from a previous job and saved some bucks that way but I still need to add the risers.

East Nirvana-Land

gillespie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-28
USA

gillespie to Pacrat

Premium Member

to Pacrat
I think you guys are right, I do have a couple of 2x12's, so I'll probably just do that. Thanks for all the help...Mike...

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH

1 edit

Pacrat

MVM

It'll give you something, at least, for a minimal effort and cost, until you make up your mind what you really want. That way, you have plenty of time to research all your options, material & design. I'd guess you'll have several hundreds of dollars in either of your first stated options... you can build a very usable set of steps for, probably, under twenty bucks... and with some effort on your part, they don't have to look like something just thrown together. As I said, if you have a router, you can bull-nose the edges, and with an opaque stain you can make them just about any color you want.

If you do go that route, a bag or two of Quick-crete or Sack-crete to make a pad for each riser to keep them from settling too much would probably be be a good idea, too!

I suggested a stain, rather than paint, to reduce the amount of "slippery-ness".

gillespie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-28
USA

gillespie

Premium Member

You're right, plus I can say I did it myself and have a little more sense of accomplishment.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

Coma to Pacrat

Premium Member

to Pacrat
said by Pacrat:

If you do go that route, a bag or two of Quick-crete or Sack-crete to make a pad for each riser to keep them from settling too much would probably be be a good idea, too!

. . . . . That would be Carriage to which the treads and risers are attached.