Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

donwylie

join:2006-04-01
Mckinney, TX

2 edits

Whole house DSL filter

I have DSL elite and just installed cat5e networking cable home run to a central location in my house. I am moving my modem to the new wiring cabinet and I would like to install a whole house DSL filter where the phone wire comes into my house. I want to split the incoming wire into 2 legs.. one for the phones and the other for the DSL modem. What DSL filter should I get to accomplish this and handle the whole house ?
I also need to replace my cable from the outside box into the inside as it is cracking. Can I use my cat5e cable for that ?
Thanks
Don

donwylie

Mckinney, TX

1 edit

anyone ?

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice

Well there is a number of ways you can do your dsl service coming from your box outside to your inside. When I did mine I had the access of a basement and left the old wiring in tact and added new wiring and a splitter. I left the old flatwire network intact.

The one I used came from here
»www.hometech.com/techwire/dsl.html

For wiring cat5e is what I used to make my new jack and plug into the old network wiring the old couple had.
--
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!

ff1324
Everybody Goes Home
Premium
join:2002-08-24
On Four Day
reply to donwylie

Yes you can use Cat5 cabling for replacing the run from the NIB (or SNI or whatever they're calling the grey box on the side of my house).

As far as the splitter goes, if you see an SBC tech out and about and you ask REAL nice (bring him something cold on a hot day) they may just give you one to hook in. The tech that visited here the other day (to replace the splitter of all things) said he's had a microfilter (the filter that came with your modem) in his NIB for several years now without any problems. Here's an FAQ how-to »AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ »I don’t have a splitter. Can I use an in-line filter for a home run?

Another way I've seen it done is to have the filter plugged into the test jack and the test line plugged into the filter. Then, take the pair you're going to use for the DSL and run those into the "Telco" side of your box, hooking them up on the protector posts where the test jack module is hooked in. Whether or not that is kosher....I don't know. Any ATT techs wanna weigh in on that one?
--
What do you want to do to the world, Ronald?
Burn it all.
See you next year, Ronald.

donwylie

Mckinney, TX
reply to donwylie

Thanks for the responses. I found a Leviton DSL filter board at Frys which I think will work. Its designed to go into one of their wall cabinets but I think I can "reengineer" it to work in my plastic electrical box. It is a DSL filter and I wanted an ADSL filter for when I have U-verse available, but I wasn't able to find that, so we will see if this works.
Don

ff1324
Everybody Goes Home
Premium
join:2002-08-24
On Four Day

said by donwylie:

It is a DSL filter and I wanted an ADSL filter for when I have U-verse available,
I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that DSL and ADSL filters are the same thing. They filter out the frequencies of the DSL signal so you don't hear it on your voice service.
--
What do you want to do to the world, Ronald?
Burn it all.
See you next year, Ronald.

koolkid1563
Premium,MVM
join:2005-11-06
Powell, WY

I don't know if ADSL filters will also work with VDSL, but I am pretty sure VDSL filters will work with ADSL.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
Granite City, IL
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice

1 recommendation

reply to ff1324

said by ff1324:

Another way I've seen it done is to have the filter plugged into the test jack and the test line plugged into the filter. Then, take the pair you're going to use for the DSL and run those into the "Telco" side of your box, hooking them up on the protector posts where the test jack module is hooked in. Whether or not that is kosher....I don't know. Any ATT techs wanna weigh in on that one?
Sure, read this page.

»tinyurl.com/yshzfb
--
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to donwylie

Click for full size
DSL splitter at the NID.
Click for full size
Opened up.
said by donwylie:

I have DSL elite and just installed cat5e networking cable home run to a central location in my house. I am moving my modem to the new wiring cabinet and I would like to install a whole house DSL filter where the phone wire comes into my house. I want to split the incoming wire into 2 legs.. one for the phones and the other for the DSL modem. What DSL filter should I get to accomplish this and handle the whole house ?
As with David, I went to Hometech Solutions. Physically; they have a brick-and-mortar establishment just 3 1/2 miles down the road. I believe they have a similar model for about $15 less. Screen shots show my installation.
I also need to replace my cable from the outside box into the inside as it is cracking. Can I use my cat5e cable for that ?
Yes, but use only a single pair per line. If you split at the NID, one pair for data, the other for voice. Don't wad multiple pairs together, as was once shown on some site.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
Granite City, IL
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
reply to donwylie

said by donwylie:

I also need to replace my cable from the outside box into the inside as it is cracking. Can I use my cat5e cable for that
Yes, but DO NOT wire all the pairs together, just select one pair as NormanS suggested. I had someone do that once (put all the pairs together) and he created his own nice little bridge tap, that brought his 3Mb/512k service to a crawling 276k/212k.
--