uniqs

Lanik
Lab-nik

join:2001-06-25
San Francisco, CA

Lanik to monkeyboy2

to monkeyboy2

Re: WRT54G: no NAT ?

I see in that case if you want to by pass NAT all together and use this device as switch/AP take the cable out of WAN port and plug into any of LAN ports, now its switch/AP.

Hope thats what you're looking for.
monkeyboy2
join:2000-07-30
Syracuse, NY

monkeyboy2

said by Lanik:

I see in that case if you want to by pass NAT all together and use this device as switch/AP take the cable out of WAN port and plug into any of LAN ports, now its switch/AP.
Well, it is half of what I'm looking for. That doesn't solve the requirement for DHCP with a gateway being some other device (in fact it won't give a valid/useable DHCP lease since it thinks that it will be the gateway -- to nowhere since the WAN port will be unconnected).

It is sounding like my only possible solution, without completely reconfiguring my network, is to use this box as a switch/AP, shut its DHCP server down and get some other device (on one of the LAN ports) to act as the DHCP server (and gateway).

Lanik
Lab-nik

join:2001-06-25
San Francisco, CA

1 edit

Lanik

I'm sorry I missed the part about you wanting to use it as DHCP server. Yes you're right you can't have both with this device either NAT (use it as a router) or no NAT (use it as a switch/AP no DHCP).

See below.