spc
Search similar:

uniqs
CSV
join:2002-01-16
Barrington, RI

CSV

[Thunderbird] Thunderbird email file format

My question relates to the file structures set by Thunderbird to store email messages on disk.

Thunderbird sets up empty directories for each mailbox folder (for example, there is a folder "Inbox.sbd" corresponding to "Inbox"), whereas the email messages are actually saved in files with the extension ".msf" (e.g., "Inbox.msf").

What is the function of the empty folders?

Grail Knight

Premium Member
join:2003-05-31
Valhalla

Grail Knight

Premium Member

Instead of typing it all out.

»kb.mozillazine.org/Empty_folders
CSV
Barrington, RI

CSV

Grail Knight:

Thanks for your reply.

Your URL refers to mail folders which don't display properly Thunderbird, and therefore appear to be empty.

The folders I'm referring to are the disk directories whose default locations in WinXP are

C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles

For example, corresponding to my 'Inbox' in Thunderbird there is an empty folder (directory) named 'Inbox.sbd', a small file named 'Inbox.msf' and a larger file named 'Inbox' (with no extension).

I'm asking about the role of the directory named 'Inbox.sbd'.

Grail Knight

Premium Member
Valhalla

Grail Knight

Premium Member

Here is a bit of info on the .sbd file type.

»filext.com/file-extension/SBD

There was a little more info in this thread.

»Re: [Thunderbird] import fiasco
CSV
Barrington, RI

CSV

Thanks again.

It appears that these directories have no role in the operation of Thunderbird. Perhaps there left-overs from an previous version. (I've been using Thunderbird for several years now.)

I don't know why I'm bothered by this. I just hate not understanding what matters and what doesn't. A braver man than I would simply delete them and see what happens.
CSV

CSV

I think I just figured out the answer to my own question.

In Thunderbird I created a folder (named "Trial") under "Inbox". When I went to my profile directory I found two files in "Inbox.sbd", which previously had been empty. The new files were "Trial.msf" and "Trial".

I presume that these directories are created by Thunderbird in anticipation of the user creating "sub-mailboxes" (or whatever you want to call them).

Grail Knight

Premium Member
Valhalla

Grail Knight to CSV

Premium Member

to CSV
I recall way back that Tb would make Global folders even if the user decided to use a non-default account or several accounts. It was a long time ago and I would not even waste anyones time looking for those old threads at MozillaZine.

I bet if you poked around bugzilla you would find a bug files on those empty folders.
CSV
Barrington, RI

CSV

They're not really a 'bug'; they're a 'feature'.

I decided to eliminate all these folders in my profiles folder. I can report that Thunderbird is happy. If I set up a mail sub-folder, Thunderbird creates the required folder on my disk.

Grail Knight

Premium Member
Valhalla

Grail Knight

Premium Member

I know it is a feature but there is or was a bug filed on extra folders that were created even though a user was not using the Global Inbox.

Like I said it has been a few years or so.