uniqs
coaster5
join:2007-07-13
New Port Richey, FL

3 edits

coaster5 to skj

to skj

Re: Earthlink is outsourcing the last of it's US techs

Very sorry to see Earthlink shipping out even more support overseas. Didn't find this forum until just now. They are going to lose many customers for only looking at the short term saving a buck route.

»Has anybody switched to Earthlink Truevoice or has experienc
amigo_boy
join:2005-07-22

amigo_boy

said by coaster5:

Very sorry to see Earthlink shipping out even more support overseas. Didn't find this forum until just now. They are going to lose many customers for only looking at the short term saving a buck route.
It doesn't seem to be short term. A lot of companies have outsourced technical support for almost a decade now. I felt the same way you do when I had my first experience with Linksys support back around 2002 (which was 10 times worse than anything I've encountered with Earthlink, which hasn't been bad). Linksys is still the product on every retailer's shelf, and (as far as I know) still using offshore support.

I think the real problem is that Americans are forced to pay for a standard of living (sewer, solid waste pickup, building codes, food and drug quality, socialized markets) and then told it's "just a free market" as they're forced to "compete" against those who don't. There's nothing free about that. A free market would let you opt out of all these niceties. Use your gutter as a sewer, raise livestock in your back yard, operate a smelting plant in your front yard, and pimp your 14-year-old daughter to subsidize the family income.

It's far more disturbing to me that American workers are displaced under such definitions of "free markets." Not that I might have to deal with someone on the phone who might not handle my problem as well as I'd like.

Mark

Splitpair
Premium Member
join:2000-07-29
Cow Towne

Splitpair

Premium Member

said by amigo_boy:

A free market would let you opt out of all these niceties. Use your gutter as a sewer, raise livestock in your back yard, operate a smelting plant in your front yard, and pimp your 14-year-old daughter to subsidize the family income.
That sounds like South Florida. Some call it a melting pot I call it a cesspool.

Wayne

beth_link
@pldt.net

beth_link to Tobester

Anon

to Tobester
scuse me- i have a question- you posted your questions about provisioning dsl service for your dad via chat? don't go on chat my friend, trust me- you should have opted to call them instead and then request to have your call routed to the installations department. Chatting won't get you anywhere- trust me.
beth_link

beth_link to joemamafoo

Anon

to joemamafoo
yeah- we can actually do that and would have been ok to do so, thing is, we're not allowed. Its against company policy. Technical issues should be routed to tech support.
beth_link

beth_link to joemamafoo

Anon

to joemamafoo
really? from what department are you anyway? don't really blame you for saying that.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to beth_link

Premium Member

to beth_link
said by beth_link :

scuse me- i have a question- you posted your questions about provisioning dsl service for your dad via chat? don't go on chat my friend, trust me- you should have opted to call them instead and then request to have your call routed to the installations department. Chatting won't get you anywhere- trust me.
I've been posting the exact same thing for Years and I only hope people will read it and heed it.

beth_link
@pldt.net

beth_link

Anon

the problem is people- for people, its much easier chatting then calling. when you do call- 99.9 percent of the time- your immediate concern wont be addressed ---- well, not after 10 transfers. not to mention- misrouted calls- sigh!be
beth_link

beth_link

Anon

just an added knowledge to you guys out there- it may help to do research. You know, like the basic things. How dsl works, the process. I know that its a bit techy if you try to read about it on the net, on this site or even in books. I'm willing to answer questions if you have any- just post it here- and ill try to explain as best as i could- mind you- if i blabber and start talking about techy stuff tell- dont hesitate to tell me. I tend to do that- hehehe- especially if i get excited.
AldousSky
join:2007-05-28
La Vernia, TX

AldousSky to Jim Bob Jr

to Jim Bob Jr
Answer to joemamafoo- they were gonna make business tier 2 for the us... also, they were gonna keep tier 3, but now that everyone's quit, it's all going. Tier 3 is moving to atlanta, from what I've heard from Jesus Chris.

dbarber
join:2000-07-25
West Chester, PA

dbarber

As ELNK_Stacey See Profile has not been heard from in a week, I guess that she's gone!

skj
Welcome to the far side of reality
Mod
join:2002-04-04
Gone South

skj

Mod

I am not sure about that since she does not post her much.

Catman51
join:2005-07-17
Los Angeles, CA

Catman51 to Jim Bob Jr

to Jim Bob Jr
Well, time to say goodbye. I've been reading this forum for quite a while.
Earthlink's tech support has cost them another customer, me.
Won't go into all the details, but after spending many hours with them on the phone, with promises of call backs from a supervisor that never took place, they accomplished nothing.
I don't work for them, I pay them, so now I fired them.
I know other companies are outsourcing too, but I'll deal with that without dealing with Earthlink anymore.

Flyonthewall
@comcast.net

Flyonthewall to Jim Bob Jr

Anon

to Jim Bob Jr
I work for a (relatively)newly purchased ELNK subsidiary. Our call support went to West, then Manilla. Our TAC went, our NOC is hanging by a thread.
Our sales department has been working hard at selling ELNK products, not our own.
It's sad really. I hope they sell us to a company that gives a damn, if there are any left. Our edge is certianly losing it's luster.
AldousSky
La Vernia, TX

AldousSky to Jim Bob Jr

to Jim Bob Jr
Stacey is with us over at AT&T Uverse now.

fatness
subtle

join:2000-11-17
fishing

fatness

Tell her we all said "hi".

dbarber
join:2000-07-25
West Chester, PA

dbarber

Can someone amend the front earthlink DSL page to reflect the fact that there are NO official Earthlink techs helping here?
This is a sad day.
I wish all the former Earthlink techs the best of luck in their new endeavors

skj
Welcome to the far side of reality
Mod
join:2002-04-04
Gone South

skj to Jim Bob Jr

Mod

to Jim Bob Jr

(topic move) Earthlink is outsourcing the last of it's US techs

Moderator Action
The post that was here, has been moved to a new topic .. »Horrible Earthlink treatment of a late deafened adult.

stated reason was: Moved to new thread
ELNK_Rob
join:2006-10-29
San Antonio, TX

ELNK_Rob to Jim Bob Jr

to Jim Bob Jr

Re: Earthlink is outsourcing the last of it's US techs

Makes me glad I got out while I did. Just a little over four years there. It sure was one heck of a roller coaster ride!
atstefaniak
join:2006-09-26
Glenview, IL

1 edit

atstefaniak

Maybe their outsourcing the last of the homeland techs seems unreal but until I called 3 weeks ago to upgrade my 1.5 to 3.0 I was unsucessful in upgrading for the past 9 months. In one 5 min. web chat the guy on the other end had assured me the upgrade would take place in 5-7 working days. the next day I was up to 3.0 speeds. Not shure if this has anything to do with outsourcing but I have tried over a dozen times in the past 9 months and so far it is stable. Lets see for how long.
AldousSky
La Vernia, TX

AldousSky to Jim Bob Jr

to Jim Bob Jr
Looks like you got the lucky end, there, buddy. When I was at Earthlink, I'm sure lots of people reading this can testify, upgrade issues were the worst. Going from 3.0 to 6.0 especially. I still have some customers telling me that their service has still not been upgrading. Good job, though, and good luck.
AldousSky

AldousSky to Jim Bob Jr

to Jim Bob Jr
Also... Hey Rob. How's it goin? You really snuck out there in your last days with us... what are you up to now? Naomi told me, but I forgot.
Mast4u
join:2007-08-25
Atlanta

Mast4u to beth_link

to beth_link
hi i would feel calling would be better just coz the chat person will be handling 5 chats at a time so iam sure there would be a delay so to get the issue reolved calling can help

doa4
@cox.net

doa4 to Jim Bob Jr

Anon

to Jim Bob Jr
It's funny how when I used to warn about ELNK I was laughed at and insulted for trying to warn the customers here. *laughing* I'd make a terrible psychic since I said it would die long time ago and its finally happened.

But, I remember during the last meeting we had with our supervisor. "For all thats happened you will miss this job", was the one thing Ronald "tub oh fat" said to us. He was right it was a good time in Sacramento I was exposed to alot and hope that the others have found a new and stable job. I know Ronald went to work in a tiny rathole callcenter as a supervisor. The call center managers became -.-; realtors for remax.

For all the bad and how Betty took our income away it was a nice company.

So to all the former reps and people who used to post here pro-elnk. Hope you found new and better providers and careers.

FYI I posted back in the day as randomness or wanderer.
jj987654321
join:2007-08-30
San Francisco, CA

jj987654321 to exBATS

to exBATS
Fascinating first-hand account. I am still a little confused about how many offshore vendors EL is using. A company called PeopleSupport, which is Los Angeles based, but provides services exclusively out of the Philippines, lists EL as their second largest customer. Do yo know what type of service they provide to EL? I had a couple of quick questions for you since you are so close to West: 1) are all of the recent waves of outsourcing by EL going exclusively to West, and 2) do yo know if West is taking away PeopleSupport's contracts?

Thanks for your insights
AldousSky
La Vernia, TX

AldousSky to Jim Bob Jr

to Jim Bob Jr
Earthlink uses many different companies for outsourcing. I honestly don't know any of their names besides Mest... I'm not really even sure if they are using West at all now other than tier 3.
h0m3rS1mpS0n
join:2003-08-20
Plano, TX

h0m3rS1mpS0n to Jim Bob Jr

to Jim Bob Jr
I feel sorry for the people that lost their jobs. I'm still very bitter towards EL for closing the Dallas call center back in 03. It was a company that had a lot of potential but was ultimately screwed by its higher-ups. And not just on one occasion, but on several.

I was on QA and having listened to the overseas calls, the only thing they did right was be nice all the time. Other than that, their support methods themselves were bad at best. This info was given to EL back in 03 but they decided it would be better to close 4 US call centers and keep the cheap labor.

Most of the techs in Dallas did a great job at helping the customer and shot for a 1st call resolution. But since this didn't meet the time requirements of the brass, Dallas and 3 other centers were shut down.

I can give specific examples of how bad the upper management were/are at Earthlink, however I think their current actions and financial statements speak for themselves.

JerryC23
Character Counts 40,41,43

join:1999-10-08
Humble, TX

1 edit

JerryC23 to ldyryslin

to ldyryslin
said by ldyryslin:

Wow..
Salute to the Mindspring mentality.. Elnk killed it well.

Deserves to be said again
I Was always a happy and loyal Mindspring user
I gave Elnk a chance and for a while it was ok
but then stayed with them for the past .. 8 (?) 10(?) years just from inertia. After spending an hour wasted this morning (for the "umptenth" time ) I've had it. ...

Oh damn - I'll have to notify every one and their family and all my creditors and all th .... about the addr change -- !! arrgh !!!!

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by JerryC23:

Oh damn - I'll have to notify every one and their family and all my creditors and all th .... about the addr change -- !! arrgh !!!!
Nope. There is a solution to that if you are interested.

»EarthLink DSL FAQ »Can I keep my email address after I drop Earthlink?

Regards,

Doctor Olds

JerryC23
Character Counts 40,41,43

join:1999-10-08
Humble, TX

JerryC23

Sure - I'll pay the $3.95 per month to suffer thru any help that I need on their Web Mail Site, etc.

Actually - Thanks - I CAN do that until I get the word out at my leazure