MVM
join:2001-10-05
united state

3 edits

Qumahlin

MVM

said by comtec5:

we do indeed use sanvines on each cmts
While you are correct that sandvine is in use and has been for quite some time, it is not used "on" a CMTS. Sandvine works hand in hand with the PacketCable protocol and acts as an application gateway.

This thread is going to garner hate towards sandvine because everyone is basing one users experiences to how things will always work and assuming Sandvine is something installed specifically to block/throttle p2p...that is not the case as there FAR CHEAPER solutions to that issue, many already built into current CMTS's which would negate the need of ever having a Sandvine box and policy server.

Sandvine is an integral application used by quite a few providers that HELPS with bandwidth for P2P, gaming, VOIP, etc. Are there cases where it will cause you to get lower P2P speeds, yes, but there are also cases where it will help with your general latency and will IMPROVE your p2p download speeds.

Sandvine even has a profile for Xbox Live clients (whether this is in use widespread is not known to me, but I know it was used at one point in my area)

Sandvines use at Comcast is not primarily as a P2P blocker, anyone who tells you that is lying or uninformed.
Sadimitsu
join:2005-06-07
Pittsburg, CA

3 edits

Sadimitsu

It's sure blocking me! I didn't notice it untill yesterday but I can't seed anything on bittorrent now. My ratios are horrible and now I will be banned etc etc. It's not even a slow upload, I really can't seed torrents AT ALL. I get a fat 0 kB/s. I've been a loyal comcast customer for years now, hell even before comcast owned the place and it was @home. I've put up with downtime and crappy service for a very very long time but one good thing i could always say was "When it works it works good" now I can't even say that anymore. I didn't get the higher upload speeds for nothing, I'm paying all this extra money and now I can't even freaking use my upload speed. Someone please tell me, what the hell is my upload for if I can't send anything to people because comcast is blocking me?

Bittorrent is really useless now, i'm sure everyone knows that BT DL speed is connected to your upload speed. If you're not uploading you won't DL anything at a decent speed. Thanks a lot comcast

This is beyond bullshit

funchords
Hello
MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA

funchords

MVM

said by Sadimitsu:

It's sure blocking me! I didn't notice it untill yesterday but I can't seed anything on bittorrent now. My ratios are horrible and now I will be banned etc etc. It's not even a slow upload, I really can't seed torrents AT ALL. I get a fat 0 kB/s.
That is not my experience at all (I started this thread, and I started it with data.) Something else is probably going on with your situation -- but your experience and my experience are not the same.
funchords

funchords to Qumahlin

MVM

to Qumahlin
said by Qumahlin:

This thread is going to garner hate towards sandvine because everyone is basing one users experiences to how things will always work and assuming Sandvine is something installed specifically to block/throttle p2p...that is not the case
No hate from me about using the technology, but the users need to be let in on it, so that we can get support when we need it.

Whoever adjusts these things has made it impossible to upload files on Gnutella. Every _single_request_ is met with an injected RST packet that drops the connection (as of about 6 weeks ago, when I last tested this). ED2K uploads are dropped a majority of the time, but there some uploading does occur. BitTorrent seems to be the least affected (see my results at the top of this thread).

How do I report this to Comcast Support, who is trained to respond that Comcast does not filter P2P?

IMHO, P2P is low-priority, passive internet use. If a customer is installing a QoS router at his house, P2P is always the thing that gets the last priority. I don't mind that Comcast uses the same prioritization as anyone else would use, but I do mind not being able to upload at all (on Gnutella) and not being able to do anything about it.
impulse101
join:2007-01-30
Beachwood, NJ

impulse101 to Sadimitsu

to Sadimitsu
use newsgroups get Giganews and go for the encryption service. done.