Minister of internet doohickies
Premium Member
join:2001-08-05
Atlanta, GA
Nokia BGW320-505

odog

Premium Member

Wiltel/L3 circuit now active

Yall should see additional routes via wcg.net. We are peering into the Wiltel network and will be transitioning to L3 in the next few weeks.

Latency should be improved as the AT&T and Sprint circuits will have lower usage, and the additional routes can only improve that even more.

Have a great 4th!

billh491
join:2001-08-09
Portland, CT

billh491

Great news any thing that can be done to get away from ATT is a good thing. I just don't like what I see coming out them in the last few years. Net neutrality, spying for the government, threatening to filter copy righted materials on their network over which some of our traffic flows and the FTTN instead of FTTH plan is just not going to cut it.

visitor
join:2001-07-26
South Windsor, CT

visitor

Nice! Brings AS 23100 closer to our network. You guys have a full OC48 to Level3? That is an expensive circuit even if you are peered!

odog
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA
Nokia BGW320-505

3 edits

odog

Premium Member

said by billh491:

Great news any thing that can be done to get away from ATT is a good thing. I just don't like what I see coming out them in the last few years. Net neutrality, spying for the government, threatening to filter copy righted materials on their network over which some of our traffic flows and the FTTN instead of FTTH plan is just not going to cut it.
AT&T as a bandwidth provider and AT&T as a consumer level DSL provider are completely different beasts. We will continue to use AT&T as they have one of the best tier1 internet backbones around, only rivaled by VZ/MCI, L3, and Sprint.
said by visitor:

Nice! Brings AS 23100 closer to our network. You guys have a full OC48 to Level3? That is an expensive circuit even if you are peered!
We're not peering in the pure sense of the word. We buy "transit", peering in the pure sense is where each provider connects to the other but do not charge each other for the traffic between them. I use peering in the sense as we peer with BGP visibility into Wiltel, which will then transition to L3. FYI it is a Gigabit Ethernet link, not an OCx link.

visitor
South Windsor, CT
Nokia XS-010X-Q
MikroTik CCR2004-16g-2s+
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

visitor

said by odog:

FYI it is a Gigabit Ethernet link, not an OCx link.
Nice, I would have been surprised if you guys opted for a OC48 rather then a GigE link. The price for the OC48 cards is pretty steep compared to the cost of GigE optics which you probably have all over your network already.

odog
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

odog

Premium Member

Believe in Ethernet.

POS, is just not worth it anymore. And 10G is almost identical in performance to OC192 at a fraction of the cost.

Also since most things have standardized on Gig, it just makes more sense to use it as much as you can.

visitor
South Windsor, CT

visitor

So it looks like just the CT users are peered with L3? Are the other metrocast areas run on different ISP's? CT metrocast is lucky to have had a good system in place before the merger, IMO!
gibverse
join:2002-02-28
King George, VA

gibverse

It would appear that different areas are independent, as down here in Virginia we only transit Verizon upon egress of Metrocast. In fact, we even need to go through Verizon to access www.metrocast.net
comp
Premium Member
join:2001-08-16
Evans City, PA

comp

Premium Member

Tenpin,

What is used up here?

tenpin784
I Went To The Dark Side?
join:2001-03-30
Brierfield, AL

tenpin784

Both...one POS, and one GigE.
tenpin784

tenpin784 to gibverse

to gibverse
said by gibverse:

It would appear that different areas are independent, as down here in Virginia we only transit Verizon upon egress of Metrocast. In fact, we even need to go through Verizon to access www.metrocast.net
That would be because our networks are not contiguous, so you have to traverse other carriers to get to our network up in NH (where www.metrocast.net is located)