spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

j518

join:2007-07-06
Elmhurst, NY

[modem/router] Do I have to use the dsl modem from Verizon?

hey folk, i have a serious question
well, my westell modem broke and I want to know if I want to buy a modem outside (from bestbuy), like Linksys, or Zoom, instead buying another westell modem from Verizon.

Will they work?
Because my westell broke again and I had replaced it once already. So, this time I have to buy it.
I wonder if I use a modem that is not from Verizon company will work for DSL?

here are some I might buy
Modem 1 Zoom 5651
Modem 2 Zoom 5615
Modem 3 Zoom 5577
Modem 4 Zoom 5510
or any Linksys modem....

penawab2007

join:2007-03-28
Old Town, ME
I believe as long as you set the correct ATM Network addresses, you can use any modem. If you use another model Vz uses, youmay have to match the firmware, but ones like Zoom and USrobo you shouldnt have to worry. I don't think Vz will support any non-theirs modem though.

NY Tel
Premium
join:2004-04-09
Smithtown, NY
kudos:3
reply to j518
said by j518:

hey folk, i have a serious question
well, my westell modem broke and I want to know if I want to buy a modem outside (from bestbuy), like Linksys, or Zoom, instead buying another westell modem from Verizon.

Will they work?

Most will work, just set the proper VPI/VCI for the Verizon network and make sure you have your current username and password so you can authenticate on the Radius Server when doing the PPPoE login.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting

1 recommendation

reply to j518
Interesting you should raise that question.

I've been a Verizon customer for years and have been using a Westell B90 modem and Multitech RouteFinder router.

I've been upgrading our network and wanted to get a new modem that supports ADSL2 and ADSL2+. Verizon does not officially support it but I figured newer DSLAMs do. Might yield slightly better margin.

I purchased a used Netopia 3346N-002 modem/router combo on eBay. It works like a champ and so far speed tests have been a little faster then before indicating the old router must have been a bottleneck.

An interesting feature is the modem is smart so you do not even need to manually configure ATM settings as long as the ISP uses standard ones which Verizon does.

Given they go for $30-50 hard to go wrong.

/Tom

NY Tel
Premium
Smithtown, NY

1 recommendation

said by tschmidt:

......An interesting feature is the modem is smart so you do not even need to manually configure ATM settings as long as the ISP uses standard ones which Verizon does.

Given they go for $30-50 hard to go wrong.

/Tom
That's a great discovery about the settings. Almost makes me wish I had DSL again instead of FiOS......LOL

j518

join:2007-07-06
Elmhurst, NY
reply to j518
so what I need to have are the username, password?
and any suggestion for any good modem?
the Netopia I couldn't find in store nor online
XDDD

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting

2 edits
Assuming you are in Verizon PPPoE land you need a modem/router that supports PPPoE and ATM. As I mentioned the Netopia configures itself automatically. If the modem you purchase does the same then all you need to do is enter you username and password. At worst you have to enter some cryptic ATM parameters As NY Tel See Profile mentioned.

I got mine on Ebay here is a link. They are pretty common. I wanted to get one that supported ADSL2 and ADSL2+ to see if Verizon was rolling it out yet - they are not. ADSL2+ is a superset of all the ADSL specification so it is backward compatible with whatever Verizon is using in your area.

»search.ebay.com/search/search.dl···tegory0=

If you don't want to go that route here is one I found at Compusa. Basically any DSL modem ought to work just fine.

Zoom 5654
»www.compusa.com/products/product···SL_Modem

/Tom

NY Tel
Premium
Smithtown, NY
Yup, Elmhurst Queens is served out of the Newtown or Corona Central office and is PPPoE.

AliasRepoint

join:2007-07-09
reply to j518
u have some options here, actually. u can indeed buy a non-verizon supported modem if u want. as long as u know how to have it configured, then there won't be a problem coz frontline VZ tech cannot help u with it. i once configured a speedstream 5100 (non verizon supported modem) for a feisty chap who just wouldn't wanna buy a new modem.

there's off course an easier way. just dial 1-800-567-6789 and say "cancel DSL service" on the voice prompt. that will get u landed to the "retention" department. tell em a bit of a story saying how long u have been with verizon blah, blah, with the bottomline being " u will cancel your DSL subcription if u don't get a new modem for free". works like a charm. trust me... =)

greetz,
~AliasRepoint