Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

1 recommendation

tcope to Langning

Premium Member

to Langning

Re: How can I break a rock?

What about making a mold and pouring some cement on the rock so that you can stack the retaining wall blocks on top of it?
Langning
Premium Member
join:2003-04-28
Marlborough, MA

Langning

Premium Member

said by tcope:

What about making a mold and pouring some cement on the rock so that you can stack the retaining wall blocks on top of it?
I did just that on another rock that was just 2" too tall (less than 6" from ground as I am burying the 1st course and my blocks are 6" in height). I spent 1 full day dug around and under the rock while hoping I could pry it out. The rock goes into the hill and I finally gave up and opted the concrete approach. Between hauling 10 80lb concrete in 2 trips and mixing them in a wheelbarrow with a shovel, it was the hardest part of my project.

The 2nd rock is 3" above ground level. If I was to pour concrete, I had to make the base 12" tall. Unlike above after I backfill with crush stone/gravel, no one will see the concrete/bottom course.

This picture should give everyone some perspective of why my wife wants to extend the wall.

I worked on the rock yesterday afternoon with more chiseling and hammering. It did cracked on the inside and I was able to lift it perhaps 2" with my 6-foot prybar. The rock is about 3'x2'x20" in size. I tried to hammer it to reduce its size/weight so that I can put it on my hand truck. It is still too heavy and too big (I am a small guy). My new strategy is to dig 3 feet deep hole in front of the rock and move it out of the way first.