spc
Search similar:

uniqs
haertig
join:2000-12-31
Broomfield, CO

haertig

[MCE] Printing error: EventID 6161, ErrorCode 1241

I'm having some trouble network printing to a print server built into a Brother HL-5250DN laser printer. But only from my MCE SP2 Windows box. Works fine from a W2kSP4 box, an old XP (not even SP1) box, and also a Linux box.

But from the MCE box, it fails and Event Viewer shows EventID 6161 with an ErrorCode of 1241. Searching Google tells me 1241 means ERROR_INCORRECT_ADDRESS (something like that). The IP address used in MCE for the printer is correct, and the MCE box can ping the printer and also login to it's web interface. The MCE box was able to successfully scan for and detect the printer on the LAN during it's initial printer driver installation step. But no printing. Firewall and AV turned off. The printer is configured to it's default port settings, using the LPR protocol. The Print Processor is "WinPrint" using "RAW" datatype (same settings as on the working W2k box).

Any ideas?

Thanks!

izy
MVM
join:2000-09-21
endless loop

izy

MVM

Try turning off bi-directional printing.
haertig
join:2000-12-31
Broomfield, CO

haertig

Isn't bi-directional a parallel port connected printer thing?

I haven't seen a setting like that for any of my printers in years. This laser printer I'm working with now is TCP/IP (inherently bi-directional), and no settings like that are available.
haertig

haertig

Re: [MCE] Solved: Printing error: EventID 6161, ErrorCode 1241

The issue turned out to be NetBIOS. The printer driver was set to use LPR and TCP/IP, not NetBIOS. However, the driver wanted to do an NMB name lookup before attempting communication with the printer. Since I had "NetBIOS over TCP" turned off in my network settings, the driver never got that name lookup done, and just failed. I have no idea why the driver wanted to do the name lookup in the first place, the IP address should have been adequate.

I determined the problem by sniffing packets from a different computer that was not experiencing the problem and comparing those to the problem computer. After it's initial name lookup, the driver doesn't use NetBIOS any further, so it's really stupid that it required the lookup.

All this didn't end up being a silly waste of time messing with NetBIOS. At least I found out how to sniff packets on a switched network (using ARP poisoning) as a side benefit. Pretty powerful and cool.