uniqs

icedcorn
IcedCorn
Premium Member
join:2007-07-08
Rochester, NH

icedcorn

Premium Member

Metrocast Rochester and PS3 download issues?

I have Metrocast's High Speed 6.0 down service. For the life of me I cannot download a patch for the game Resistance Fall of Man for the PlayStation 3.

I've tried wired and wireless access, both give me a "network error."

I've called Sony tech support, they say make sure the following ports are open:
UDP: 3478-3479, 3658, 10070
TCP: 80,443,5223,10070-10080

I've tried port forwarding on my Linksys, but still nothing.

Even still, I have tried just plugging the cable modem ethernet cable right into the PS3 (ie cable modem to PS3, bypassing the router), but I still get this error.

Sony tells me it's my ISP. I have tried ISP support, they say that my line is fine and they don't block any of those ports.

I'm going to take my PS3 to work and see if I can download it there. I'm out of any other ideas and was wondering if anyone else in the NH area is having this problem.

I do NOT have this problem with my Xbox 360, but I have had issues downloading with the Wii....
comp
Premium Member
join:2001-08-16
Evans City, PA

comp

Premium Member

When you plug your PS3 directly into your modem, make sure you reboot the modem. Sometimes the modem can hold the MAC address of the previous computer and wont update it.

I have a PS3 and had no issues with updates or anything else last night

tenpin784
I Went To The Dark Side?
join:2001-03-30
Brierfield, AL

1 edit

tenpin784 to icedcorn

to icedcorn
I wish I had a PS3 to test this on, or an xbox 360, heh.

Both outta my pricerange at the moment

As long as you didnt plug anything else into the modem, you should not have had to reboot it. We allow 2 CPE devices per modem (your router is one, the PS3 the other).

I haven't heard of any problems with the PS3.....
comp
Premium Member
join:2001-08-16
Evans City, PA

comp

Premium Member

Hey the price just dropped!

tenpin784
I Went To The Dark Side?
Brierfield, AL

tenpin784

it did?

hmmmmm

icedcorn
IcedCorn
Premium Member
Rochester, NH

icedcorn to comp

Premium Member

to comp
(For the record, I have the consoles becuase I review games as a job)...I know tough, someone has to do it. LOL.

Anyway, yes the PS3 price is now $499 effective immediately. Not bad for a blu-ray player itself, let alone the fact that you can play games.

Compnurd, I have the new Arris telephony cable modem that has a battery backup, so I'm not sure how to reboot the modem. If you disconnect the power, it's still on. Is there a secret reset?

So you have Resistance (the game) and can download the patch fine?

tenpin784
I Went To The Dark Side?
Brierfield, AL

tenpin784

said by icedcorn:

(For the record, I have the consoles becuase I review games as a job)...I know tough, someone has to do it. LOL.

Compnurd, I have the new Arris telephony cable modem that has a battery backup, so I'm not sure how to reboot the modem. If you disconnect the power, it's still on. Is there a secret reset?

Must be nice, haha.

To powercycle the Arris, pull out the battery on the bottom, then pull the power cable, let it sit for about 30-45, then plug in the power and put the battery back in.

Or I could always do it from the office too Might be a little delayed if you send an IM tho, haha.

odog
Minister of internet doohickies
Premium Member
join:2001-08-05
Atlanta, GA
Nokia BGW320-505

odog to icedcorn

Premium Member

to icedcorn
said by icedcorn:

Anyway, yes the PS3 price is now $499 effective immediately. Not bad for a blu-ray player itself, let alone the fact that you can play games.

You should have a small hole on the back of the modem marked "reset". You'll need a paper clip, or push pin to get to it. That will reset the modem. Pulling the battery, and pulling the power will also do it but you don't need to wait 30 seconds. As soon as you yank power after the battery is gone it will turn off, and you can immediately turn it back on. I would recommend you use the reset button as I suspect the modem will log that it was reset in that manner, and not by plant conditions etc etc etc.

tenpin784
I Went To The Dark Side?
Brierfield, AL

tenpin784 to icedcorn

to icedcorn
I like waiting 30 seconds

I am not impatient (altho other people may say differently!)

icedcorn
IcedCorn
Premium Member
Rochester, NH

icedcorn

Premium Member

Good to know. I will give that a shot.

On coax, is there a signal degredation the longer the coax is? I thought about just connecting the cable modem right to the equipment where the drop is..right now it's about a 10' run from the electrical box (where the main drop is) to the cable modem. I'm just trying to figure out a way to get a faster speed for my PS3 and Wii.

tenpin784
I Went To The Dark Side?
Brierfield, AL

tenpin784 to icedcorn

to icedcorn
yes, the longer the run, the less signal at the end.

if the run is only 10', that will not make a difference.

if it was like 75feet and like the third splitter, it would help. but if your off the first splitter, 10 feet closer wont help that much.

odog
Minister of internet doohickies
Premium Member
join:2001-08-05
Atlanta, GA
Nokia BGW320-505

1 edit

odog to icedcorn

Premium Member

to icedcorn
said by icedcorn:

Good to know. I will give that a shot.

On coax, is there a signal degredation the longer the coax is? I thought about just connecting the cable modem right to the equipment where the drop is..right now it's about a 10' run from the electrical box (where the main drop is) to the cable modem. I'm just trying to figure out a way to get a faster speed for my PS3 and Wii.
There is loss, but not degradation in the way you're interpreting it. You would see packet loss in games, page load delays and other symptoms before you saw higher level functionality issues like the inability to download a specific update.

Ports being filtered is independent of signal, they are completely different beasts all together.

icedcorn
IcedCorn
Premium Member
Rochester, NH

icedcorn

Premium Member

Thanks for the information. Now if I could only get you guys to my house to fix it I think I would be all set .

tenpin784
I Went To The Dark Side?
Brierfield, AL

1 edit

tenpin784

said by icedcorn:

Thanks for the information. Now if I could only get you guys to my house to fix it I think I would be all set .
That's all you odog

haha