Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ice
Sleep Less, Game More

join:2002-07-01
Wind Gap, PA

[DVR] DVR will record shows, but sometimes won't play them

I have the Motorola 3416 and this has happened a few times. The shows will show up in the DVR listing, but when I go to play them it freezes for a second, then shows me a black screen. I can bring up the FF and rewind menu and such but it never moves.

Other times everything is fine. I noticed this happened both time I tried to record something and then get something OnDemand so I assumed I couldn't do that, but tonight I tried recording something and I don't think anyone opened the OnDemand menu and it still won't play. What would cause that?
--
| 3500+ Winchester (2.2GHZ) | MSI Neo2 Platinum | 80GB HDD | X800 XT PE || 1GB of Gskill 2-2-2-5 | Enermax Noisetaker 420w | Logitech Z-560s | Audigy 2 ZS | | Windows XP | Cable Internet at 9mb/s |

alanisrox69

join:2005-03-29
LHV, PA

Have you rebooted the box?

ice
Sleep Less, Game More

Wind Gap, PA

Is there a special way to do that or do you just unplug it?

wbertram
Premium
join:2005-08-19
Allentown, PA
reply to ice

Push, and hold, the Power button on the dvr until the display shows "b00t". Takes 5 or 6 sec for this to occur.

ice
Sleep Less, Game More

Wind Gap, PA

Thanks, I just did that and the show still won't play, others still play fine.

Is there anything that will screw a recording up once it's set?

arjj

join:2007-02-06
Newton Center, MA
reply to ice

I've had this problem before, always on a premium channel. Occasionally, I will tune into Showtime for example, and will initially see a screen informing me that I'm not subscribed to that channel. After a 20 or 30 seconds, that screen will go away and I'll get the channel just fine. This was true for all of the channels when I first subscribed. It seems as if the permissions have been erased and need to be reestablished.

In any case, when this happens, I've found that the recording is just as you've described. What I've had to do was "reestablish" my permission. Then the recording works just fine.

Hope that helps.

ice
Sleep Less, Game More

Wind Gap, PA

said by arjj:

I've had this problem before, always on a premium channel. Occasionally, I will tune into Showtime for example, and will initially see a screen informing me that I'm not subscribed to that channel. After a 20 or 30 seconds, that screen will go away and I'll get the channel just fine. This was true for all of the channels when I first subscribed. It seems as if the permissions have been erased and need to be reestablished.

In any case, when this happens, I've found that the recording is just as you've described. What I've had to do was "reestablish" my permission. Then the recording works just fine.

Hope that helps.
I've noticed this too, it's happened to me a few times on the HBO channels. I haven't had it happen for awhile though so I'm not sure if that's the case or not.
--
| 3500+ Winchester (2.2GHZ) | MSI Neo2 Platinum | 80GB HDD | X800 XT PE || 1GB of Gskill 2-2-2-5 | Enermax Noisetaker 420w | Logitech Z-560s | Audigy 2 ZS | | Windows XP | Cable Internet at 9mb/s |

nycityny
Premium
join:2005-08-09
New York, NY
reply to arjj

said by arjj:

Hope that helps.
This used to happen to me a lot on digital tier and premium channels. The fix always involved jiggling the coax cable and tightening connections. A few months ago I put in a signal booster from Radio Shack and that seems to have stopped it.

alanisrox69

LHV, PA
reply to ice

A friend of mine just got a 3416 installed yesterday...

the same thing has happened. Recorded 2 shows last night, and went to play them back this AM and they are just a black screen.

However, rebooting the box made them playable again.

*shrug*

-Derek-
--
CHECK YOUR FSLC TAXES!!!

rkap1986

@rcn.com
reply to ice

When this used to happen to me with my old box I would pause the program, press swap, and then swap back. That usually solved the problem. A few months later the DVR kept freezing and rebooting, and I eventually had to have RCN replace it with a new one. I haven't had any problems with that ever since.

alanisrox69

LHV, PA
reply to ice

Was the old one a 6400 series?

and the new one? Is it a 3400 (3412/3416)....

it says on the front of the box.

-Derek-
--
CHECK YOUR FSLC TAXES!!!

ice
Sleep Less, Game More

Wind Gap, PA

Happened again when I tried to record Curb Your Enthusiam. So far, 2/3 times I tried recording that show it screwed up. Tried the swap button to no avail.

VZkillsRCN

@rcn.com

2 edits
reply to alanisrox69

I'm a troll

Please ignore my post