- -... ...- -
Premium Member
join:2006-01-17
Columbia, PA

K3SGM to Tzale

Premium Member

to Tzale

Re: [northeast] Verizon FiOS ONT Failures

The original manufacturer, American Fiber Concepts, as known as AFC, produced the original 610x SFH ONT.

They were later acquired by Tellabs. Which along with Motorola make the current models in use.

The 610, and even 611's would fail due to video problems.
The current 612's use a different Power Supply, and BBU, and are supposed to be free of the prior problems.

The 611 and 612 look almost identical, with the exception that the 611 supports 4 Pots ports, and the 612 only 2.

The 612 is the first MoCA enabled unit, which runs everything off of the coax, and eliminates the need for CAT5 wiring between the ONT and router.

All 3 units utilize a completely different PS and BBU, so the re-install can be quite lengthy in some cases.

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave

MVM

said by K3SGM:

The original manufacturer, American Fiber Concepts, as known as AFC, produced the original 610x SFH ONT.

They were later acquired by Tellabs. Which along with Motorola make the current models in use.

The 610, and even 611's would fail due to video problems.
The current 612's use a different Power Supply, and BBU, and are supposed to be free of the prior problems.

The 611 and 612 look almost identical, with the exception that the 611 supports 4 Pots ports, and the 612 only 2.

The 612 is the first MoCA enabled unit, which runs everything off of the coax, and eliminates the need for CAT5 wiring between the ONT and router.

All 3 units utilize a completely different PS and BBU, so the re-install can be quite lengthy in some cases.
AFC = Advanced Fiber Communications. The original 610 and 610x used a different APSU/BBU than the 611/611i/612, since the older ONT's were manufactured by AFC. Tellabs completely redesigned the 1600-series ONT's after AFC was purchased. The newer APSU/BBU can be used with the older 611i/612, so it depends on which ONT is currently in place when an ONT replacement is required.

K3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium Member
join:2006-01-17
Columbia, PA

K3SGM

Premium Member

NYCDAVE, when they replaced my AFC 610x with a Tellabs 611, that required a new PS/BBU.

Three days later they upgraded my NEW Tellabs 611 to a NEW Tellabs 612, requiring a DIFFERENT PS/BBU.

Does that sound right to you???

Or were the Tellabs 611 and 612 able to use the same PS/BBU??

Do you know if subsequent Single Family Home ONT's(i.e. GPON units) are supposed to use the same PS/BBU's for the foreseeable future??

Unless they are doing the upgrades to improve reliability problems of the old equipment, it seems like a lot of waste of time and equipment.

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

1 edit

nycdave

MVM

1. 610x -> 611 requires a new OPSU/BBU.

2. 611/611i -> 612 does NOT require a new OPSU/BBU, but it does require a APSU/BBU combination with the same power output (38w vs. 50w). The safest way to make sure everything is compatible is to swap the OPSU/BBU when the ONT is swapped, but it is not the most cost-effective way...

3. GPON ONT's will not be compatible with existing OPSU/BBU's, so there will be new requirements.
KenAF
join:2006-01-23
Arlington, VA

3 edits

KenAF

Is there any particular reason Verizon is not using one of the new BPON/GPON hybrid ONTs? Perhaps reliability was not acceptable?