uniqs
splicingdan
join:2005-10-13
Staten Island, NY

splicingdan to Tzale

to Tzale

Re: [northeast] Verizon FiOS ONT Failures

said by Tzale:

1. He is a VZ tech in New Jersey, so he knows what is going on in the tri-state area.

2. So what if VZ doesn't manufacture the ONTs? They are the company using them, they struck the deal with the manufacturer, and thus they are the ones responsible for the failure of the hardware when the customer calls up complaining... It's a major problem for them if it is true.

3. I think he was trying to show what he was talking about. I don't see how ANY picture would make his claim more "credible" and I never saw him try to say that.

-Tzale
Are you kidding me?......

jerkface posts vague claims based on a conversation with a "family member" and you seem to accept them as fact.

Tzale, are you a VZ tech?

Tzale
Proud Libertarian Conservative
Premium Member
join:2004-01-06
NYC Metro

Tzale

Premium Member

said by splicingdan:
said by Tzale:
1. He is a VZ tech in New Jersey, so he knows what is going on in the tri-state area.

2. So what if VZ doesn't manufacture the ONTs? They are the company using them, they struck the deal with the manufacturer, and thus they are the ones responsible for the failure of the hardware when the customer calls up complaining... It's a major problem for them if it is true.

3. I think he was trying to show what he was talking about. I don't see how ANY picture would make his claim more "credible" and I never saw him try to say that.

-Tzale

jerkface posts vague claims based on a conversation with a "family member" and you seem to accept them as fact.

No, I am not... However, I wouldn't discredit him right away. There seems to be a similarity between what he says and what has been showing up on this forum.

-Tzale
littlebird
join:2004-01-25
Carlisle, PA

littlebird

FYI,

The first 6 months I had Verizon FiOS, I was having constant outages. After replacing the ONT 4 times, I finally got a good one and haven't had an outage since.
(By the way, how long are ONT's supposed to last? )

Bird
justin9876
join:2006-04-21
Mount Juliet, TN

justin9876

said by littlebird:

(By the way, how long are ONT's supposed to last? )

Bird
Mine is two years old and counting, never a problem.

I am curious: does anybody here know approximately how many different people are actually posting FiOS problem reports here? And what percentage that is of the entire number of FiOS users here? And how representative their experience is versus the entire install base? I am just wondering if the problems with FiOS are as bad and frequent as they might appear just by reading this forum.

When a complete newcomer visits this site, they may get the impression that everybody that gets FiOS has constant trouble. And I don't think that is true. Certainly when Verizon starts installing FiOS in a new area they are bound to have some startup problems, but I believe that would go down as they gain experience.

One last comment: the August 2007 issue of PC World magazine has survey results from 6400+ readers (I know, not a big sample) comparing their satisfaction with different internet connection types - power-line, cable, dial-up, DSL, fiber, fixed wireless, and satellite. The most far and away satisfied group was fiber users, in all catelgories: overall service, connection reliability, download speed, and upload speed. The way I read the article most if not all of the fiber respondents are FiOS customers. FWIW...
new2fios
join:2006-07-20
Camillus, NY

1 edit

new2fios

It's almost a year to the day that we got FIOS and except for one total outage (phone and Internet) lasting a few hours, the service has been perfect. We are on the original ONT. I suspect that ONTs are often replaced needlessly because techs don't have the tools or knowledge necessary to pinpoint the problem. There are so many reports where the ONT has been replaced - then when that doesn't solve the problem, something else is done on the next visit.

PS. My Actiontec is fine (wireless, too) and it's the most stable router I ever owned (I think I own it now).

FlsRend
Premium Member
join:2004-01-31
Philadelphia, PA

1 edit

FlsRend to splicingdan

Premium Member

to splicingdan
said by splicingdan:

Quit trolling. The OP didn't claim there was a problem. He had a discussion with family members that indicated a possible problem. He then mentioned the problem he heard about and posted a QUESTION as to whether or not people here at DSLR have noticed or are having a similar problem.
splicingdan
join:2005-10-13
Staten Island, NY

splicingdan

said by FlsRend:

said by splicingdan:

Quit trolling. The OP didn't claim there was a problem. He had a discussion with family members that indicated a possible problem. He then mentioned the problem he heard about and posted a QUESTION as to whether or not people here at DSLR have noticed or are having a similar problem.
Maybe you should re-read jerkface's claim about how Verizon "screwed-up" and then take your own advice about trolling.

FlsRend
Premium Member
join:2004-01-31
Philadelphia, PA

FlsRend

Premium Member

said by splicingdan:

said by FlsRend:

said by splicingdan:

Maybe you should re-read jerkface's claim about how Verizon "screwed-up" and then take your own advice about trolling.
Maybe you need to re-read. I'll give highlights:

I searched for a couple minutes and i couldn't find anything about this subject, so i thought i would bring it up and see if you guys have heard/seen anything about this.
Looks to me that his intention is to bring the subject to light and seek discussion. He said it.

I have a family member who is a Verizon tech in New Jersey and i was playing 20 questions with him about the Verizon FiOS system and how it works.
Clue #1 that his statement is based on a conversation with a family member.

Come to find out, Verizon screwed up. A "good" portion of the ONTs manufactured and installed around the tri-state area fail which leads the Good 'ol verizon tech to come out and do a complete reinstall of the ONT.
He says that its something to do with the hardware of the ONT that makes it fail, and he finds himself replacing ONT after ONT almost every single day.

His family member made these comments to him in a discussion. Clue #2: the use of the phrase "he says"

Has anyone ever had this issue before?

Look! A question mark. He took the contents of his family conversation and is asking the community at DSLR if this is how things really are.

He makes it seem like its a really big deal and that VZ is doing nothing to help this misuse of resources.
Part of the reason for his question. It appears he thinks his family member may be blowing the situation out of proportion or even just making a situation out of nothing.

Now, show me what statement he made.

darbea
from the Dark Side
Premium Member
join:2007-07-15
Coatesville, PA

darbea

Premium Member

I'll add my 2 cents worth: Newly retired after 30 years, I witnessed the total deployment (well, nearly total; there may be isolated patches to be completed) from my garage during the past 2 years. I have yet to hear of any wide-spread problem with hardware or software. Little things here and there, but the ratio is nearly negligible.

The problem I see is from a different perspective. There is little maintenance required on the system, as it vrtually runs on its own - as compared to copper, and it will not suffer at the deterioration rate of copper - very good for the customers and the company, but, in a few years, there will be little need for many of the techs, and although job security is guaranteed in thecurrent contract, the contract expires next August (I think)- and so does the guarantee of security. But I'm starting to go off topic... it's the way things are nowadays. Progress always comes at a cost.

Anyway, as I said earlier - I didn't hear of anything significant about trouble issues - I was in a different work group, but still out of the same garage. And it would have been an issue in my group, because I worked maintenance. Didn't place it, but would have to fix it.