61999674 (banned)
Gotta Do What Ya Gotta Do
join:2000-09-02
Here

61999674 (banned) to RevMortis

to RevMortis

Re: How can I break a rock?

said by RevMortis:

Might check with landscaping people in your area. I bet they can get it all out in one piece!
Well maybe not, the "rock" in question may be a small corner of a very large one.

RevMortis
I Hear Dead Silicon
Premium Member
join:2005-05-10
Saint Paul, MN

RevMortis

Premium Member

said by 61999674:

Well maybe not, the "rock" in question may be a small corner of a very large one.
Even so, they might have the equipment to get it out of there in sellable chunks?!?
Langning
Premium Member
join:2003-04-28
Marlborough, MA

Langning to 61999674

Premium Member

to 61999674
said by 61999674:

The "rock" in question is the piece in the path of wall where it ends now. The dimension is about 3 feet (long) x 2 feet (wide) x 18 to 20" (high). I already broke it loose from the hill and "moved" it a couple inches now.

I researched and have doubt if electric jackhammer is powerful enough to break this rock. I may try drill/wedge approach this weekend. If I can't break it, how many pounds do you guys think a rock of this size may weight? I am thinking getting a flat dolly and somehow place the rock on it and wheel it to my front yard.

Being working alone and no extra help, I moved onto my next item and did 80% of my basement door wall/steps. Here is my work-in-progress for my last 2 days. Meanwhile, back to my regular day job...

Before:

After:

Jon5
Premium Member
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

2 edits

Jon5

Premium Member

said by Langning:

how many pounds do you guys think a rock of this size may weight?
I'd bet thing has got to easily be 500 or 600+ Lbs.
I took some (3) large rocks from my brothers backyard a few years back that he wanted to get rid of. We ended up renting a engine hoist to get them in and out of the truck.

It's hard to tell but I think they were slightly smaller than that one. It took four of us to wrestle them into place and was still a struggle. An engine hoist might be an option for you if you have a flat spot to put it on.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

Coma

Premium Member

said by Jon5:

An engine hoist might be an option for you if you have a flat spot to put it on.

. . . . . or an A frame/tripod if you don't.

jrs8084
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC

jrs8084 to Langning

Premium Member

to Langning
My mother was the landscaper in the family, and she does wonderful things with her gardens, much with the work of my father! They were the first to move into a development, and she managed to get the builders to move all the rocks they unearthed to her yard. The builders were really nice about placing the rocks (some much larger than you have) where she wanted-for free!

I keep looking at this thread, and every time I see it, I hear my mother saying "why does he want to do away with such pretty rocks!. Is there any way you can incorporate them into your plans? Work around them? I know it interferes with your wall, but I know a lot of people would die to have that look of natural rock in their yard.