Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DolphinOne
Premium
join:2006-01-01
Beaverton, OR

[Help Me] D-Link DIR-655 and Verizon FIOS

I recently acquired a D-Link DIR-655 to replace the router DI-604 that came with the Verizon FIOS Service when I signed up in December 2005.

I have had multiple reported network intrusions using the DI-604 and that, combined with my employer-requirements, is what prompted me to upgrade. I'll be using the DIR-655 and ISA Server 2006 STD.

The first DIR-655 arrived DOA. So I returned it for a replacement. The second DIR-655 arrived last week with its own problem. I can not get it to connect to the Internet. That problem prompted me to contact D-Link Support who stepped me thru a few steps and then announced the DIR-655 was not compatible with Verizon FIOS.

I just could not believe what I was hearing... "the DIR-655 was not compatible with Verizon FIOS"? It makes no sense to me... I asked for a supervisor and was suddenly disconnected.

The DIR-655 allows me to access its admin features thru a browser. I can even connect to it from both wireless notebook PCs I own. But the minute I connect the Internet cable to the WAN port on the router, the status LED goes out, the router freezes, and my home network comes to a sudden standstill.

I have three servers with Windows Server 2003 R2, three desktop PCs with Win XP/Pro, one networked printer, and two notebook PCs with Win Vista / Business.

I took the DIR-655 router to a friend's home and the WAN port works great connected to his Verizon DSL (not FIOS). If I can not get it to operate on Verizon FIOS, he'll buy it from me.

I have the router set to PPPoE with dynamic IP addressing ... just like the DI-604.

Are there other settings I should adjust?

Redshirt 24
Premium
join:2003-08-08
Plano, TX

It literally locks up the second you plug something into its WAN port, but doesn't do it in another location? That's officially the strangest thing I've ever heard (and kind of unsettling, since I have FiOS and I was seriously looking at this router).
--
Genoa City Limits: Y&R from the outside, looking in.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
reply to DolphinOne

said by DolphinOne:

I have the router set to PPPoE with dynamic IP addressing ... just like the DI-604.
My suggestion is that you start from square one.

1. On the DIR-655 unplug everything you have connected then do a hard reset as follows; remove the power connect er then press-in the reset switch and do not release it THEN reconnect the power connector then count to 15 after-which you may release the reset switch and wait for 2 minutes.

2. Now connect the FIOS cable to the DIR-655 WAN port

3. Now connect one PC to one of the LAN ports on the DIR-655 and launch the Internet Setup Wizard and follow along carefully. This should be able to connect to the FIOS service. If this does not work then there is something that's wrong with your particular device assuming that your FIOS service has not been impaired somehow.

4. If You have Internet then start to re-connect all your other gear to your network.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

KenAF

join:2006-01-23
Arlington, VA

1 edit

Your mistake was not performing a release on your old router. Your FiOS connection is still tied to the MAC address of the old router, and you can't obtain a new connection with the DIR-655 until 1) you release the lease on the old router, or 2) the lease expires on its own.

One option is to reconnect your old D-Link router, go to the Status -> Device Info screen and hit Release. Then connect the DIR-655 and it will work.

The alternative is to leave the DIR-655 connected and wait until the old D-Link lease expires, but that could take a few days.

Note you will run into the same scenario whenever you replace an existing router. This is not specific to the DIR-655.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

said by KenAF:

Note you will run into the same scenario whenever you replace an existing router. This is not specific to the DIR-655.
Excellent suggestion!
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

DolphinOne
Premium
join:2006-01-01
Beaverton, OR
reply to KenAF

I disconnected everything from the DIR-655 and reset the DIR-655 to factory defaults. I also "Released" the IP address by calling Verizon.

Verizon and I believe the "Release" on the old router fixed it. Thats a very good suggestion and I've added it to my check-list.

I have the DIR-655 up & running. And I performed the firmware update to version 1.04.

Thank you - everyone - for your assistance.

Redshirt 24
Premium
join:2003-08-08
Plano, TX

Oh, of course...the IP address thing! I forgot about that, since I've been dealing with it so long it's second nature...you either have to shut down the network connection at router level prior to swapping the router out or disconnect it and give it a few minutes to die and release the IP address/etc. on its own.
--
Genoa City Limits: Y&R from the outside, looking in.

Basher13

join:2004-05-02
Beverly Hills, CA

"Your FiOS connection is still tied to the MAC address of
the old router,"

That's why CLONE MAC is an option usable for isp's still
using MAC addresses to control access. Or you can edit
it long-hand.