Search similar:

uniqs
fastez1
join:2001-12-26
Hephzibah, GA

fastez1

[Networking] Switch vs Router

Hey Ya'll,
At the risk of being a pest! I have read over the years that a Switch is preferable to a Router with DirecWay but I was wondering if the Security of a Router would outweigh the problems involved, in particular with a Network. Thanks again for you insight.

Ed

Jameson
Premium Member
join:2004-05-28
united state

2 edits

Jameson

Premium Member

said by fastez1:

Hey Ya'll,
At the risk of being a pest! I have read over the years that a Switch is preferable to a Router with DirecWay but I was wondering if the Security of a Router would outweigh the problems involved, in particular with a Network. Thanks again for you insight.

Ed
All the switch does is allow your modem to control DHCP. If you on any plan that does not have a static ip, you are behind hughes's routers which protects you from unsolicited inbound connections already, however this does not protect you outbound wise (trojans, viruses, rogue programs..) ect.

Also, by using a router you do create a double NAT however most people will never notice any speed decrease. So either way you are safe..inbound wise.

Edit:
Which modem do you have?

PS we like answering questions or we wouldn't stick around, so you're no pest.

seagreen
Mod
join:2001-05-14
out there

seagreen to fastez1

Mod

to fastez1
said by fastez1:

Hey Ya'll,
At the risk of being a pest! I have read over the years that a Switch is preferable to a Router with DirecWay
Much of what you were reading about may have been related to using the DW4000 system.

The considerations have changed somewhat. Generally speaking, with a plan that includes a static IP address the router is the preferred device.
With a plan that does not include a static IP address, then a switch or WAP might be preferable as the DW modem will do DHCP for your LAN. You could still use a router but you won't reap any additional benefits from doing so.

»Satellite Forum FAQ »How do I network my Consumer version of the DW6000?
»Satellite Forum FAQ »How do I network my DW6000 “Professional” level service?
fastez1
join:2001-12-26
Hephzibah, GA

fastez1

Thanks very much ya'll, I now have a pretty good understanding of what you have so kindly pointed out, Seagreen-Yes, you are correct, I have a lot of the old 4000 networking info stuck in my head, I'm all set now.

Thanks much, Ed