Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

hitman_001
Premium
join:2006-11-20
Laredo, TX

Evdo Tweaks and Tuning

There is alot of information on other sites about tuning and tweaks to help speed up your Evdo/1xrtt connections. While 1xrtt may recieve little to no help from them, sometimes the EVDO side gains significantly.

I dont take credit for any of the information posted below, I just put it together here for people to view.

One of the utilities you can download to adjust your settings is Dr TCP from here on BBR. I just wouldnt recommend changing anything that you dont know about.

One of the first adjustments you can make is this,
TCP Receive Window Size = 65536

##DATA tuning, aka HA (Home AGENT)
To see/change the HA Address, you must acquire the MSL code from Sprint. If you've activated the card yourself when first purchased, the code they gave you to activate is the MSL code. Or you could call the tier 2 data group 866.818.1944 (sometimes long wait) and tell them you need to activate your card and need the Activation Code. They should give it to you with no issues. They'll ask for your ESN number written on card or the phone number of card which can be found in Device Diag in Connection Manager. They also might ask for your account password. If a rep does not head down that path, hang up and call another.

Once you have the 6-digit MSL/Activation code...

- Run Sprint Connection Manager
- Must be disconnected from EVDO (disable NDIS if using it)
- Move mouse over 'Go' button and leave pointer on top of it
- Type in caps... ##DATA
- Enter MSL code
- A screen like this should appear for Novatel cards...

For Sierra Cards-
and

Experiment with primary/secondary addresses below but be sure to write down the original address on the card in case you need to go back to it. Update: Or you can do an 'Update Profile' in connection manager and it will set back to defaults. The primary address is first used when connecting. If that fails, it will use the secondary.

On Vision and PowerVision phones, dial ##DATA#. You'll need the MSL code to change the HA address, which is harder to acquire for phones. For some phones, this universal code might work... 040793

Here are the addresses of Home Agents around the country. The tools used to determine the location are only about 80% accurate, so these locations may not be exact. Set the HA to one near you (but try others). If traveling, set to the region of your travels. Thanks to cyb3rshad0w for cross-checking this list...

68.28.49.76 San Jose, CA Area 1
68.28.49.77 San Jose, CA Area 1
(could be Stockton)

68.28.57.76 Anaheim, CA Area 1 (or San Jose)
68.28.57.77 San Jose, CA Area 7 (or Anaheim)

68.28.81.76 Kansas City, MO Area 2
68.28.81.77 Kansas City, MO Area 2
(could be Omaha)

68.28.89.76 Kansas City, MO Area 2
68.28.89.77 Kansas City, MO Area 2

68.28.113.76 Pennsauken, NJ Area 3
68.28.113.77 Pennsauken, NJ Area 3

68.28.121.76 New York, NY Area 3
68.28.121.77 New York, NY Area 3

68.28.145.76 Chicago, IL Area 4
68.28.145.77 Chicago, IL Area 4

68.28.153.76 Roachdale, IN Area 4
68.28.153.77 Roachdale, IN Area 4

68.28.177.76 Fort Worth, TX Area 5
68.28.177.77 Kansas City, MO Area 5 (possible DNS config issue, likely Ft. Worth)

68.28.185.76 Atlanta, GA Area 5
68.28.185.77 Atlanta, GA Area 5
(speedtest.net says in Houston)

68.28.241.76 Relay, MD Area 7
68.28.241.77 Relay, MD Area 7
(speedtest.net says in Florida)

68.28.249.76 Atlanta, GA Area 7
68.28.249.77 Atlanta, GA Area 7

This is it. There are no other home agents known.

Here is a quick way to determine your assigned 'area' w/out needing MSL code. This will at least narrow it down to two possible HAs...

»/mspeed?whoami=1&w=

Example:
DNS: area4.spcsdns.net (must be set to Indiana or Illinois)

Another way is to do a traceroute (tracert command in Windows) to some website and compare the path of IP address locations with this tool (only 80% accurate)..
»www.ipligence.com/geolocation/?l···&search#

To compare your speeds with different HAs...
»www.sprint.com/speedtest (sprint's test site)
»/stest (coasts)
»www.everestkc.net/index.php?module=speedtest (midwest)
»speed.nap.wideopenwest.com (midwest)

To check latency from command line, 'ping www.google.com' or website near you. Lower is better.

Rev0 typically does 180ms-400ms, 130ms is about the lowest.

RevA typically does 100ms-200ms, can be as low as 50-80ms if near tower with few/no obstructions.

Latency can be much higher with poor signal, thick or many walls, when below ground or if HA is set far away.

More details:
- When traveling, the HA you are assigned to may cause traffic to bounce twice across country. If you live in NYC and are assigned to a NY HA, but then travel to LA and visit a website in LA, your traffic (worst case scenario) will likely bounce from the LA tower to the NY HA to the LA website back to the NY HA to the LA tower and to your laptop. That's a lot of unnecessary hopping across country. If you have performance problems when traveling, try setting the HA to the region of your travels. Statistically speaking, if traveling often around US and visiting websites everywhere, setting the HA to one in the Midwest may be the best compromise.

- Mac/Linux and router users. You must change the HA with Connection Manager in Windows. The settings are stored in the card so when used with non-Windows, the HA setting will still work.

Warning: Use info at your own risk. Don't change other settings unless you know what you're doing.

Update: Sprint seems to have improved HA bandwidth performance issues by turning off the compression servers. The HA you point to may be a factor if you travel across country but in general, the HA is less of an issue than in the past. Latency/ping times could still be impacted, especially for RevA users. Update2: Many still see bandwidth improvements by experimenting with different HAs.

BTW: This is a CDMA thing, not a Sprint only design, so Home Agents are likely done this way for Verizon and Alltel as well. I've tried to find a way to change Verizon HAs but with no luck.
--
Hn7000s Small Office plan/.74m dish & 1Watt Trans on Satmex 5 Signal: 86/Win XP Pro SP2/P4 3gig, 2Gigs Ram, Radeon X1300 500meg video

xenophon

join:2007-09-17

Would have been nice if you gave credit to who put these together. Took me some time to put together the ##DATA Tuning part...

»www.evdoforums.com/thread2001.html

hitman_001
Premium
join:2006-11-20
Laredo, TX

said by xenophon:

Would have been nice if you gave credit to who put these together. Took me some time to put together the ##DATA Tuning part...

»www.evdoforums.com/thread2001.html
quote:
I dont take credit for any of the information posted below, I just put it together here for people to view.
Lol, not as if I was trying to take credit for it myself.. But if it makes you feel better in the morning, All Hail the mighty Xenophone him do sum gud work! Can we be friends again?
--
Hn7000s Small Office plan/.74m dish & 1Watt Trans on Satmex 5 Signal: 86/Win XP Pro SP2/P4 3gig, 2Gigs Ram, Radeon X1300 500meg video

mjwalfredo

join:2007-06-05
Columbia, SC
reply to hitman_001

Hate to be a noob but, what exactly is a Home Agent? I am gathering that it has something to do with how your packets are routed through Sprint's network. Does anyone have a good explanation as to what the Home Agent actually does? Thanks.

CMoore2004
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Jonesville, MI

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_agent

xenophon

join:2007-09-17
reply to hitman_001

Even so, anytime you paste something from another site, especially something that took a great deal of research, you should also provide the link you got it from.

All cool, but only since I caught it.

Etokura

join:2007-11-01
Front Royal, VA
reply to hitman_001

I have a Franklin CDU-680 through Millenicom, how can I change my HA through the Franklin connection manager?

blazintails

join:2007-08-25
reply to hitman_001

Go to the franklin review in this forum that I posted about a month ago.

All the information is there.

mjwalfredo

Columbia, SC
reply to hitman_001

I don't understand the screenshots for the sierra wireless cards. Do you change the HA for Profile 0 or Profile 1? If I do profile 1, the settings are erased after restart. If I do profile 0, I cannot connect and I can't update my data profile anymore either. Does anyone know how to set the HA on a Sierra Wireless card?

mad monk

join:2007-11-02
usa east coa
reply to hitman_001

has anyone tried tweaking their HA on the franklin cdu680? i am located on the east coast and looks like my HA is set for west coast. not getting the greatest speeds with what i have at the moment. was hoping to get at least 500kbs down & maybe 200-250 up, about half way there at the moment.

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4

I changed the HA on my Franklin to Kansas City. It did improve the speeds for me.

mjwalfredo

Columbia, SC
reply to hitman_001

Damn, nobody knows which profile to set the HA on for a Sierra Wireless card? My speeds are killing me. Please help!

hjriver
hjriver

join:2006-12-03
North, VA
reply to Jim_in_VA

said by Jim_in_VA:

I changed the HA on my Franklin to Kansas City. It did improve the speeds for me.

Jim, I got my Franklin today but it doesn't work any better than the Sprint Sierra card. My HA seems to be in LA California. How did you change yours?
--
HN7000S/Satmex6/1190/0.78/pro-plus/Sig level: 65

netwire
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Shelby, NC
kudos:1
reply to mjwalfredo

said by mjwalfredo:

Damn, nobody knows which profile to set the HA on for a Sierra Wireless card? My speeds are killing me. Please help!
You should set the HA to one nearest to you. For example, I live in NC so I have mine set to GA.

mjwalfredo

Columbia, SC

LOL, yeah I understand that! My problem is that with a Sierra Wireless card there is profile 0 and profile 1. Profile 0 currently has a Primary/Secondary HA and it's NOT one listed above. When I change it to one of those, I cannot connect and I cannot even update the data profile.

If I try and set the HA on profile 1, the settings are lost as soon as the card restarts.

I need someone who has successfully changed their HA with a Sierra Wireless card to tell me how they did it to either to show me how or to confirm that I have a problem with my setup.

hjriver
hjriver

North, VA
reply to netwire

said by netwire:

said by mjwalfredo:

You should set the HA to one nearest to you. For example, I live in NC so I have mine set to GA.
How do you change it?
--

Jim_in_VA

Cobbs Creek, VA
Reviews:
·Metrocast Commun..

hj, I am up in Boston this week. Drove all the way from VA to MA and was connected to EVDO the entire way. Never dropped the signal.

On changing the HA on the Franklin. Launch connection manager but do not connect to the network. Move your cursor over the plus sign on the left (it will change color slightly),hold down the shift key and type ##DATA. A box will appear asking for a code. This is the 6 digit activation code you must get from Millenicom. Just call their tech support and they will give it to you. After the code is entered a data box will pop up. This is where you enter the HA #'s like the one's found at the top of this post. I found the Kansas City numbers to work best for me. Experiment with different one's to find what is suitable.

hjriver
hjriver

North, VA

1 edit

said by Jim_in_VA:

hj, I am up in Boston this week. Drove all the way from VA to MA and was connected to EVDO the entire way. Never dropped the signal.

On changing the HA on the Franklin. Launch connection manager but do not connect to the network. Move your cursor over the plus sign on the left (it will change color slightly),hold down the shift key and type ##DATA. A box will appear asking for a code. This is the 6 digit activation code you must get from Millenicom. Just call their tech support and they will give it to you. After the code is entered a data box will pop up. This is where you enter the HA #'s like the one's found at the top of this post. I found the Kansas City numbers to work best for me. Experiment with different one's to find what is suitable.
I did find out my IP address is 70.7.196.49 located in San Jose, CA. I need to get it changed. None of the numbers on the fist post seem to match the one I have.
--

mad monk

usa east coa
reply to mad monk

UPDATE - I fiddled around with the HA's for the franklin cdu680 and was able to pick up some speed with the fine tuning. haven't broken the 1M down mark yet, but getting closer. So far pretty pleased with setup, but considering i have been suffering with dialup for years i would be pleased with a string between 2 cans .
Question: How can i go about finding the sprint tower in my area? I liked to try an external antenna and need to have an idea where the tower is.
BTW - thanks for all the tips & tricks.

Jim_in_VA

Cobbs Creek, VA

If you can't find it on antennasearch.com just call Sprint customer service and ask. They will tell you exactly where they are in your area.

mad monk

usa east coa
reply to hitman_001

Jim in VA - appreciate the info. Looks like I am about 2.5 miles from the sprint tower. Now i guess i need a wireless router for the franklin that i can use with an external antenna.

Jim_in_VA

Cobbs Creek, VA

I just ordered the cradlepoint router. I've heard good things about it and it has a much more reasonable price ($150). www.cradlepoint.com

mad monk

usa east coa
reply to hitman_001

ok folks got another one here. I've tried several of the recommended/suggested "tweaks" and each one seemed to improve up & down speeds, but no "WOW" factor yet. getting avg 500kbs dn & 250kbs up,(pings 200ms+/- 50ms). now for the franklin 680 i have it attached to an 8ft lg usb cable in order for me to place near the window for better signal reception. I was thinking of getting a good quality usb cable, (ie., shielded with Au connectors) to see if it would get me a better signal, currently getting around -95dBm, +/-5dBm. (FYI - about 2.4 mi from tower,Non-LOS).

CMoore2004
Premium
Jonesville, MI

A little off-topic, but I don't recommend the gold connectors. I once had a guy at Radio Shack tell me gold was a better conducter than copper. I asked him if he was serious and he said with 100% certainty that it was. I couldn't help but laugh, then left.

Gold is not a better conductor--it's just more resistent to corrosion. You may have already known, but if not I hope I can save you from getting suckered by a Radio Shack guy.
--
Charter 5M | Windows XP MCE SP2 | Mobile AMD Athlon 64 4000+ | 1.5GB RAM | ATI Mobile Radeon X600 128MB | 120GB HDD

mjwalfredo

Columbia, SC
reply to mad monk

This is just my own opinion but I don't think that a better quality USB cable would have any effect whatsoever on your signal levels. It could possibly help out your transfer rates but since these modems are not all that fast compared to say a USB hard drive or something that is capable of transferring data much much faster than that, it probably won't be worth it

mad monk

usa east coa
reply to hitman_001

here's the verdict, found a USB shielded cable, about 2ft shorter than what i had and it seems to have helped. picked up 2-3dB better signal, better pings.
appreciate the help.

CMoore2004
Premium
Jonesville, MI

I must say, I really don't understand why you'd have a better signal. The signal isn't transported to the PC over the USB... it ends and starts at the modem. Perhaps the other USB cable just had enough power loss that it couldn't perform at 100%.
--
Charter 5M | Windows XP MCE SP2 | Mobile AMD Athlon 64 4000+ | 1.5GB RAM | ATI Mobile Radeon X600 128MB | 120GB HDD

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom

said by CMoore2004:

I must say, I really don't understand why you'd have a better signal. The signal isn't transported to the PC over the USB... it ends and starts at the modem. Perhaps the other USB cable just had enough power loss that it couldn't perform at 100%.
It's probably a power issue. The Franklin I just got came with a special USB adapter cord. It has two plugs for the USB ports on the computer and one for the modem. That way power from 2 USB ports powers the modem according to franklin.

mad monk

usa east coa
reply to hitman_001

don't care how i do it just as long as i get there.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom

1 edit

Yep, this is so good compared to HN. 2 speedtests compare very close. Sprint in Atlanta and Speedtest in LA.