spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Gomes

@arm.com

How do I (a)Disable the 2wire firewall?(b)Improve upload spe

At present I can sign into webmail request to look at info.

I've done some speed tests on the wireless and it seems that the download speed is great, but the upload speed is non-existent.

Can't seem to upload any info at all. I think this is becuase of the 2wire firewall.

Is there anyway of disabling the firewall????

Otherwise should I just bridge the wireless to my old modem? or will the firewall still restrict the upload?

Any help would be great.

muiredised
ESSE QUAM VIDERI

join:2007-06-11
Tacoma, WA
kudos:1
There is no way to disable the SPI (stateful packet inspection) firewall on the 2wire device. Even if you put the 2wire in bridge mode it still continues the SPI processing even though it passes everything through. That being said... it is HIGHLY unlikely that the firewall is causing the upstream latency that you describe. First questions I would ask are: what sort of dl/ul bandwidth have I purchased from my ISP, what are the dl/ul results of my speed test, and how do the two compare?

With the typical DSL connection your download speed is always going to be MUCH greater than your upload speed. This is because the typical user downloads MUCH more than they upload, thus the ISP puts emphasis on the download side of things. If your upstream needs are great enough, you may need to consider either upgrading your DSL package (if possible) or switching to a different type of internet connection (usually more expensive).

What exactly are you trying to upload? You mentioned webmail, are you trying to attach a large file? Slowness here can be caused either by the connection or the server you are uploading to. Let us know what the numbers were on the speed test you ran, the numbers you expected based on the package you purchased, and exactly what you are having a problem uploading... someone may be able to better assist you.

jakethecat
Premium
join:2006-06-08
South Bend, IN
reply to Gomes
Actually, bridge mode does disable SPI, DMZ+ mode does not. Upload speed is a function of your ISP.

- JTC

muiredised
ESSE QUAM VIDERI

Tacoma, WA
said by jakethecat:

Actually, bridge mode does disable SPI...
Although there is no plausible way to determine one way or another I believe you may be mistaken here. I have had conversations with 2Wire (not telephone technical support either) on this subject and have been told that there is currently NO way to disable SPI, not even by putting it in bridge mode.

jakethecat
Premium
South Bend, IN
reply to Gomes
»2 Wire »Is there official or sanctioned 2Wire support available on BBR?

You are talking to 2Wire now. Bridge mode disables all firewall & routing functions, including SPI. Would love to see a serial number for a unit where this is not the case.

- JTC

muiredised
ESSE QUAM VIDERI

Tacoma, WA
Very fascinating, so basically my past conversations with 2Wire L1, L2, then lead, then Supervisor (consulted L3?) in which each and every one of them stated that you cannot completely disable the SPI on the firewall were all inaccurate? And the people I know who are employed by 2Wire likewise are mistaken?

I must say, I don't necessarily care one way or the other as all of my needs are met. However, don't you think different people within the same organization would get on the same page and disperse the same information to the end users?

jakethecat
Premium
South Bend, IN

1 edit
reply to Gomes
Thank you for sharing your experience. I apologize for any inconvenience. I know how frustrating it is when you are given less than accurate information. I will do everything I can to resolve that. I can't comment on what others may have said to you. I can say with 100% confidence that bridge mode does indeed disable all routing & firewall functions including SPI.

Thank you for choosing your friendly 2Wire forum at dslreports.com & have a great day!

- JTC

sodagreen

join:2007-01-13
Taiwan
reply to Gomes
Jake is correct in his statements. SPI is disabled in bridge mode. You may have been thinking of bridge networking which sounds similar and has to deal with assigning static ip's and does not disable SPI. I know that can be confusing but that is probably where the perceived error in what you were told came from.

duff151

join:2007-08-13
Lake Bluff, IL
reply to jakethecat
How do I bridge the modem? I have a 2Wire DSL Gateway Model 2701HG-B. I beleive the built in firewall is preventing my wife's work computer from accessing the internet. If I am able to "bridge", I think this would solve my issue.

koolkid1563
Premium,MVM
join:2005-11-06
Powell, WY
The firewall should not block general web traffic (port 80) for just one machine, unless there is a parental control set up if your ISP has that enabled.

jakethecat
Premium
South Bend, IN
reply to duff151
Your wife's work computer very likley has a firewall application on it that is conflicting with the 2Wire. If this application can not be disabled, you should try placing that connection into DMZ mode before bridging your 2Wire (this will terminate your connection to the web - until you configure a 3rd party router).

Browse to gateway.2wire.net, click the firewall icon, click firewall settings, select your wife's computer in box 1 (presuming it is able to pull an IP), select the DMZ+ mode radio button, submit the settings, reboot your wifes computer.

Good luck!

- JTC

sodagreen

join:2007-01-13
Taiwan
reply to Gomes
In response to duff151's question to bridge the modem follow this walk through at »2 Wire »Bridging the 2wire and PPPoE (Disabling Router)

reply to Gomes
I JUST WANT TO PLAY FFXI /CRY