All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed
« offshore?thankyou replublicans »
This is a sub-selection from I'm confused.

spatula_city

join:2001-05-09
Fullerton, CA
reply to phxmark

Re: I'm confused.

Why would an internet radio station have to pay royalties to the RIAA if it plays only Independent music that is not represented by the RIAA. Why would my employer collect union dues from me and send them to the union if we' aren't part of a union?
--
www.spatula-city.com

kaila

join:2000-10-11
Lincolnshire, IL

1 edit

SoundExchange claims they have the right to collect money from *all* webcasters irregardless if their playlists are all indie artists. The only way for the indie artist to collect from SoundExchange at that point would be to negotiate an agreement (at minimum the artist would pay a 'collection' fee). Webcasting is really dead......

How fair is that!

spatula_city

join:2001-05-09
Fullerton, CA

Really? Sound Exchange can collect royalties for ALL music webcasts, even if the musician doesn't care about royaties and is not signed with a RIAA label? WOW! That seems like an internet radio tax. So, if I were to record an MP3 right now of me doing a drum solo on various items on my desk, then set up my own internet radio radio station and broadcast my crappy song free of change on my internet radio station, I would have pay the same kinds of fees as the people who stream Britney Spears ?
--
www.spatula-city.com

Time4aNAP
Premium
join:2007-04-09
Des Plaines, IL

1 recommendation

said by spatula_city:

So, if I were to record an MP3 right now of me doing a drum solo on various items on my desk, then set up my own internet radio radio station and broadcast my crappy song free of change on my internet radio station, I would have pay the same kinds of fees as the people who stream Britney Spears ?
Hey, you're catching on! Right now the RIAA's coffers are overflowing with money collected "on behalf of" artists who have no idea whatsoever that the RIAA owes them money.

My solution: keep buying CDs. Somebody needs to have a copy of the original, unadulterated, PCM content. But instead of making your friends go out and buy their own copies, burn them an exact clone (except for that one copyright bit) of the CD.

The RIAA could sue you to death if you throw away 90% of the music to make an MP3, then put it on the Internet. So save yourself the trouble, and the risk. Use Sneakernet--it's safer.

One note: I'm not advocating wrongdoing. Two wrongs do not make a right. Civil disobedience is an established and bona fide tactic to right a wrong when that wrong happens to be encoded as law. As long as your sole motive is to demonstrate the hypocrisy of the RIAA's argument, then you're doing the Right Thing.
--
Dead webcasters don't make cents.

FiL
Premium
join:2005-08-16
Silver Spring, MD

Only time will tell if thats a tactic they will use. And indie artist is free from the restraints of the RIAA. They will not/cannot sue without expecting a lawsuit. Yea they got thousands of laywers, but being that the indie artist is, what, indie...thats all the evidence you'd need. lol. No contract was signed by them with the RIAA labels. Who's feet could possibly be held to the fire without a paper trail?