share rss forum feed

Jason Levine
Premium
join:2001-07-13
USA
reply to Michieru2

Re: It don't mean a thing....

said by Michieru2:

The problem is that those horses are locked under contract by their farmer. But I think horses are the wrong animal and cows or goats will be be far more descriptive on what I am trying to say. The cows and goats eat grass and have their asses cleaned. While the farmer milks the cows and goats for all they are worth he is giving very little in return towards the animals themselves.

But cows cannot grab their tits and sell their milk because they don't know how, which is why I said some can be as dumb as a door bell. So even if we argued how easy it is to get noticed these days with all the technological advancements the learning curve is steep for most, while the younger generation as more understanding on the technology by the time their methods actually affect the industry as a whole will be 10 year's down the road.
There are actually a lot of artists who are moving away from the mainstream (RIAA) recording industry and moving to more profitable (for them) models. There are even "recording label-esque" websites like Amie Street and eMusic which help promote the artists music in exchange for a cut of the sales. I say "recording label-esque" because, unlike the major recording industries, these sites 1) don't lock the artists into unfair contracts, 2) don't take most of the sale, 3) don't rely on DRM to maintain an illusion of absolute control, and 4) don't act as if their greatest enemy is the music fan.

I don't see these sites eclipsing the mainstream recording industry tomorrow, but, like you said, the younger generation is more likely to use these services. Eventually, the mainstream recording industry will either adopt their methods or be eclipsed by them. I'd pin the adapt or die date in five or ten years.

Of course, this prediction is invalid if the recording industry somehow rams legislation through Congress declaring these sites to be pirate sites. I'm not sure they'd succeed, but I wouldn't put it past them. (Possibly by a law requiring all music online to be DRM "protected" no matter who the rights holders were.)

said by Michieru2:

Although you use open-source software for your multimedia needs to simply strip the DRM you are removing the protections the music industry has set in place. You do not decide where you can play your music, the industry does, which is why I am sure THC will just label you as some criminal right about now. No matter the quality they still own the rights to that music.
I couldn't agree more. This is why I've never purchased a song on iTunes or gotten a subscription to a music site. I want my music to be mine and not dictated by the whims of the recording industry or my financial state. (If I'm low on funds one month, I shouldn't lose my entire music collection because I can't afford a subscription fee.)

said by Michieru2:

I also never stated or meant to say that music should be abolished, I am just saying that it's purpose is lost by making it a business which in return seeks profit from music itself. Hell anyone who thinks they should abolish music is a mad man.
I think that there's a compromise between music as pure art (no business at all) and music as pure business (current state of the mainstream recording industry -- crank out the "hits" to keep propping up sales). You can produce great music because you love it and still earn money doing it. The mainstream recording industry has just lost sight of the art of making music and instead focuses on draining every last cent out of each artist/trend they happen upon.

said by Michieru2:

I would prefer if the music industry died and had a rebirth, because the current system is broken. The RIAA are a greedy bunch of bastards that deserve no respect nor anyone's cash.
I doubt you'll find many here to disagree with that. On a personal level, though, I'm a lot more interested in music now that I've found the independent material than I have been in a long time. Will I still buy RIAA-produced CDs? Yes, but extremely rarely. Most likely, I will attempt to get them used first and if that fails I'll buy it new after much hesitation. I'm likely to buy only one or two CDs (used or new) per year from RIAA artists, but I've purchased 75 songs in the past 4 months from Amie Street artists.

The music industry is changing/adapting. It's just the RIAA labels which aren't part of this change.