Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bnd_7009

join:2007-07-13
Baltimore, MD

Install FIOS in my house

Hi everyone,

FIOS Intenet and TV is being put into my neighborhood. I want FIOS badly as the speed and price is better than what I'm paying for DSL, Comcast Digital Cable and Verizon telephone.

But, my wife and I just remodeled our house. I don't want to rip down or cut holes in drywall our cause mass meyhem in our house. What exactly does VZN do when they install FIOS?

Right now, cable and telephone comes into the same place in my house. I assume FIOS will come in the same place. Will VZN then run the cables where they need to go? Our basement and house is 100% finished and drywalled. Will they cut the holes, repair and patch back up? How does this all work?

Thanks...like to hear from someone who had it installed and has a completely finished house and basement.
Expand your moderator at work

bnd_7009

Baltimore, MD

Re: Install FIOS in my house

How do they "rip out" my DSL cables? Is it s clean process or does it require cutting holes in drywall, etc.

How do they run the FIOS cables to where my TV and computer desk are? Do they do it or do I need to hire a company that runs cable?

Thanks,

knarf829

join:2007-06-02
kudos:1
Ignore the previous comment. The guy was yanking your chain.

If you have existing cabling for TV, they will use your existing cabling. The Internet is connected via Coax as well, so you will need to have Coax going to where the router will be. You connect your computer to the router either wirelessly or via CAT5 network cable.

They will not fish walls, so your best bet is to have everything in place before they get there.

bnd_7009

Baltimore, MD
Okay..I think I'm safe.

When our house was remodeled brand new coax was installed to the TV and to my computer desk.

So I think I'm fine...correct?

JPL
Premium
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4

1 edit
reply to bnd_7009
That first response was less than helpful. No, they don't remove the wires from your house. They will, however, remove the copper lines going to your house. Which means that everything will arrive via the fiber. Where some folks get concerned is that switching back to dsl, or switching to a different phone provider after having fios can be problematic.

Actually it sounds like your install would be pretty clean. First they'll run the fiber to your house - replacing the copper. It'll get attached to a new box they'll put on your house, called an ONT. This ONT will feed all the services into your house - phone, internet, and tv. For the phone service, they tie it directly into the copper lines in your house. The ONT will replace the phone box you currently have on your house. From the inside of your house, there's no difference whatsoever with your phone lines.

Next, they'll run the connection from the ONT to your computer. There are two ways that they can do this. They'll either use coax, which will be split off for your TV coax, or they'll run cat5. They'll most likely do whichever is easier (my house has cat5).

They'll give you a router - actually a combo unit, which has both a router and NIM built in (the NIM is used to control various services for your tv).

Next, they'll run a coax into your house from the ONT. This will control the feed to your TVs. In fact, they'll most like just reuse the coax you have coming into your house. From there, they'll run that coax to a splitter. From the splitter, they'll feed to your TVs, again by coax. And again, they're going to reuse as much of your existing wiring as possible.

Next, they're going to run a cable (coax) from your computer router to your tv splitter. They provide some of your TV services over the internet spectrum on the fiber (things like your guide data and VOD).

Finally, the ONT needs to be powered. This is likely to be the only drilling that they'll need to do going into your house. They'll run a power cable from the ONT, into your house, and to an outlet. Near the outlet they'll attach two other boxes - a power supply, and a battery backup (to power your phones should you lose power).

Based on my understanding of your setup, I would think the only potential "destruction" will be the feeds to/from your computer router, which may require some drilling. Beyond that, they'll reuse your wiring as much as possible.

Hope this helps.

knarf829

reply to bnd_7009
I had the comcast feed from the pole to a grounding block at the side of my house, then my internal wiring started. They disconnected the Comcast feed, connected their feed, and we were good to go. He did swap out a couple of splitters.

If they find that your house wiring is not sending the proper signal levels to your TV and the router, that may be a whole other cup of tea. I don't know one way or the other. Mine was all good.

They will not do anything you don't want them to. You just have to tell them what you want.

bnd_7009

Baltimore, MD
It sounds like I'm okay. Since the wiring is all new and supposedly great cables were used to wire the coax and phone lines, I'm guessing it'll work.

Curious, how much is the service for TV, Internet and Phone?

Right ow I pay $80 for cable, $30 for phone and $35 for DSL. Total of $145/month.

Thanks!

ih8nosyppl

@abac.net
reply to JPL
"They will, however, remove the copper lines going to your house."
The copper will be gone and Fiber will be the only option.
Welcome to the nazi state.

JPL
Premium
Downingtown, PA
said by ih8nosyppl :

"They will, however, remove the copper lines going to your house."
The copper will be gone and Fiber will be the only option.
Welcome to the nazi state.
Yes... we heard you the first time. Read my entire post. I admitted that going back to copper from fios can be more problematic.

To the OP, many folks request that the copper lines not be pulled. If they agree, they'll keep the copper strung to your house, but they won't be active.

BTW, I agree with knarf - the installers I've had were awesome. I asked that they keep as much of my DirecTV installation intact as possible. He complied without hesitation. If you have any special requests, just tell the installer. They'll try to accomodate you within reason.

JPL
Premium
Downingtown, PA
reply to bnd_7009
said by bnd_7009:

It sounds like I'm okay. Since the wiring is all new and supposedly great cables were used to wire the coax and phone lines, I'm guessing it'll work.

Curious, how much is the service for TV, Internet and Phone?

Right ow I pay $80 for cable, $30 for phone and $35 for DSL. Total of $145/month.

Thanks!
Depends on the service that you want. For example, if you currently have Verizon phone, that won't change. Internet service, I BELIEVE is $40 or $45 for 5/2 service, however, you would get a bundling discount (having phone and internet together).

TV service depends largely on what kind of setup you want. Here are the base prices:

- TV service - $43/month. Verizon has, basically, one programming tier - Premier. They also have add-ons (movie pack, sports pack, karaoke), but for regular cable service, you have one choice. Which is aok with me, since it's the cheapest service going. That cost includes all your basic cable channels, music channels (they're currently expanding these - they have 47 MusicChoice channels, and they're adding another, I think 47 MTV music channels), and includes HD.

- SD STB - $5/month
- HD STB - $10/month
- Standalone DVR - $16/month
- Multiroom DVR - $20/month (which will feed out to standard STBs on other TVs).

They only offer one model DVR, and it's an HD DVR. Which means that if you hook it up to an SD TV, you'll still get your HD channels, downrezzed.

Of course, all of this doesn't include things like commitment discounts ($5 off per month for a year, if you opt for the 1 year commitment), and triple-play discounts (if available in your area).

bnd_7009

Baltimore, MD
reply to ih8nosyppl
Regarding the nazi state...

There are many areas in life where there are "no options". Up until a few yeas ago, all there was was copper. TV? All there was only the antenna 30 years ago.

And remember, in life there are always choices. If I HATE FIOS I have a bunch of options. 1. Continue using it. 2. Use my cell phone exclusively 3. Get cable internet with VOIP.

And I doubt VZN is training people off to the death camps.

bnd_7009

Baltimore, MD
Thanks to all the helpful folks. I had this nightmare of them tear out walls, etc.

JPL
Premium
Downingtown, PA
said by bnd_7009:

Thanks to all the helpful folks. I had this nightmare of them tear out walls, etc.
Nah, they shouldn't need to do that at all. The coax you have in your house should all be shielded (you should be able to see if it's RG6) given how new it is. Heck for mine they reused an old Comcast cable I had coming into the house. And they reused the coax going to all my TVs from my old satellite multi-switch - most of which I put in myself... before I even knew what shielded coax was.

And like I said, the installers I had (I had internet installed first, followed by tv 16 months later) were both incredible. Totally professional, very thorough. I had one minor issue with my VOD breaking up, and the tech that came out was even better.

One last thing, if you don't sign up for the triple play right away, you'll have 30 days to cancel without penalty wth the 1-year commitment. The triple-play is different - at least it was here in PA. I was able to sign up for it after signing up for TV service (about 2 weeks after I got TV installed), but that commitment kicked in right away. So if you hate it... just cancel.

KA3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium
join:2006-01-17
West Chester, PA
reply to JPL

JPL, is it just me, or are the Trolls out in force tonight?

Anyone that wants real answers will have to put the ANON on IGNORE.

JPL
Premium
Downingtown, PA

1 edit
reply to KA3SGM

said by KA3SGM:

JPL, is it just me, or are the Trolls out in force tonight?

Anyone that wants real answers will have to put the ANON on IGNORE.
I would... if I could figure out what the heck he's talking about. I didn't understand either of his last two posts. Oh well.

KA3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium
West Chester, PA
JPL, I don't understand the (anon) rants as well.

I usually hit the IGNORE button when someone starts yelling about imposing a 'Nazi' state.

knarf829

1 edit
It's like we learned in school: If there's one thing the Nazis were known for, it was disconnecting copper telephone cables.

By the way, I don't see an ignore button. How do I do that?

KA3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium
West Chester, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Cricket Broadband
·Verizon FiOS
said by knarf829:

It's like we learned in school: If there's one thing the Nazis were known for, it was disconnecting copper telephone cables.

By the way, I don't see an ignore button. How do I do that?
Click on the anon post, and you get the option of ignoring future anon posts.

Oh wait, you might need to be a 'Premium Member' to have that option....

WOW!!! What $10 actually buys you these days....