spc
Search similar:

uniqs
moelle
join:2007-07-14
Cleveland, OH

moelle

[TWC] RR NE Ohio, new user, semi-novice, need router help

Hi all - PLEASE forgive an ignoramus here. I only know enough about this stuff to be dangerous

After being totally fed up with DSL provider in my area, gave TWC RR a try. But... couldn't get my router/wifi config'd if my life depended on it. Never had a problem getting it going with DSL.

I have followed the instructions on this site for connecting my Linksys WRT54G. Here's what happens: It works for a while only on the computer that things are "hard wired" to. I can see the router, I set up WPA, I have access, cool.

But - I go to my notebook PC, I log on to my wifi network, looks good... looks connected... I can get to 192.168.1.1... cool... but that is ALL I can do. No web access. So I give up and just put it away for the night.

Then, sometime in the middle of the night (about 5 hours later), desktop PC won't get access either until I just remove the router from the equation and totally start over.

I've gotten this far about six times and am just tearing my hair out. What am I doing wrong???

The modem they gave me is a Scientific Atlanta "Webstar".

I presently have no MAC filtering or anything set up on my router (trying to keep it un-confused right now), but I do run PC-Cillin (I did disable it during all of these trials just to see if that was the problem). However, on the topic of PC Cillin, when it does a "network check" without my router hooked up, I see this mystery MAC that is ostensibly the cable modem, spitting out 9 IP addresses simultaneously, from a different MAC than is given in 192.168.100.1 as its MAC addy.

Sooo, if you haven't noticed by now, I'm totally lost. If anyone out there can speak in Romper Room-ese to me, I'd be so appreciative.

Mo in Cleveland, who just wants dependable broadband.

dbmaven
There's no shortage
Mod
join:1999-10-26
Sty in Sky

dbmaven

Mod

When you've inserted the router into the equation, have you pulled the power from the cable modem first?

Shut everything down/pull power from the cable modem.
Hook up the router to the modem and the computer (wired) to the router.
Power up the cable modem - let it train/sync.
Power up the router.
Power up the computer.

Tell us what happens.
dustman81
join:2002-05-28
united state

dustman81 to moelle

to moelle
You said you had DSL. Make sure that your router isn't trying to do PPPoE authentication. RR doesn't do any username authentication. It's straight DHCP.

Is your router picking up an external (usually 24.x.x.x or 69.x.x.x) IP?

Make sure that the modem is plugged into the WAN port on the router.
moelle
Cleveland, OH

moelle to dbmaven

to dbmaven
Hi - thanks! Yes, did all that, and do so every time I try to set up the router... it produces the scenario I described in my initial post. This is why it's so frustrating. I've tried to rule out those kinds of things.

Thanks again
moelle

moelle to dustman81

to dustman81
Hi dustman81 -

I did change setting to DHCP in the process I mention in my initial post, yes. I also did indeed plug the modem into the WAN port.

When you say "picking up" an external IP, I am not clear on what you mean by that, sorry. Where would I check for that? On memory alone, I do recall seeing a 24.xxx.xx.x something in my status page (?).

I am presently not connected via router, just straight to the cable modem. I will try again later today and try to provide any info that anyone needs at that time, just let me know what I should check for you.

When PC Cillin detects the cable modem, here are the nine IPs it shows me:

Now, I don't want to get all hung up on PC Cillin or anything, but that is just something I'm not used to seeing, all of those from the same MAC. I know it is the cable modem because I don't presently have a router hooked up and it isn't my NIC. However, the MAC these IPs show as coming from is NOT the MAC listed on the side of the modem. Is there a second MAC in a cable modem or something?

I just simply don't understand what is going on!

Thanks again for your help.

Mo
dustman81
united state

1 edit

dustman81

Being that you are able to access this webpage though the computer using your cable modem, I don't think the modem is the issue.

The WAN (external) IP address should be on the status tab of the management webpage in the router.

The IPs PCCillin are showing you are most likely other computers pinging or looking for open ports on your computer. PCCillin is blocking those and telling you about them. You've probably haven't seen this before because the router was doing that.

Try this, I'll know it'll sound old.
Plug your cable modem from power. Move the network cable coming from the modem from the computer to the router. Plug the modem back in. It should get sync.
moelle
Cleveland, OH

moelle

Dustman -

Indeed, I do get sync. That isn't the problem. The problem is that, even at this point, on my notebook (via wifi), it LOOKS like I'm logged on to my network, but can only see the router. I cannot browse the web or receive email. I can only access 192.168.1.1, and nothing more. I've deleted my default connection, recreated it, checked the settings over and over, all countless times. I even went to a web cafe to see if my NIC was bad... it connected there just fine.

Re PC Cillin, those nine IPs (ALWAYS the same, nonstop, for the four weeks now that I've had RR) from that one MAC completely vanish if I use my DSL modem or my router. They all come from the very same MAC address. One of those IP addresses is also my default gateway. Further, I do not have a firewall presently set up on my router, so it would not normally be my router catching those. Today, I have done research on cable modems that indicates that they often have two MAC addresses, and sometimes four (two more for the USB connection).

Here are the data from the status tab of my router:

Automatic Configuration - DHCP
IP Address: 76.189.119.188
Subnet Mask: 255.255.224.0
Default Gateway: 76.189.96.1
DNS 1: 65.24.7.3
DNS 2: 65.24.7.6
DNS 3:
MTU: 1500

Hope this helps. I appreciate your efforts very much!

Mo

ChillyCat6
join:2004-09-07
Chesterland, OH

ChillyCat6

ChillyCat
said by moelle:

Dustman -

Indeed, I do get sync. That isn't the problem.
Possibly just doing a hard re-set on your router.[?]

Got the same router [as majority of us prolly do] and your problems sounding really weird.
moelle
Cleveland, OH

moelle

Chilly -

Isn't it??? I am convinced it has to be something obvious, but I just don't know what it is. Yep, done that many a time, a hard reset, to no avail.

Naturally, calling TWC/RR was useless.

Mo

ChillyCat6
join:2004-09-07
Chesterland, OH

ChillyCat6

Just thinkin' it had/has to be sumthin' real simple.

I'm sure you'll git it all worked out......:)

we all been there.......

dbmaven
There's no shortage
Mod
join:1999-10-26
Sty in Sky

dbmaven to moelle

Mod

to moelle
This sounds like a PC-cillin problem. I take it you're running PC-cillin Internet Security?

Try opening the PC-cillin Console, and turn the 'personal firewall' OFF. You'll probably get a warning (if running WinXP) about not having any firewall protection - ignore it for the moment. See if you can access the internet.
moelle
Cleveland, OH

moelle

dbmaven -

Yeah, done that too. Didn't change a thing. DSL is looking better and better!! NEVER thought I'd say that.

I have no idea why this is all going freaky on me!!!

I'm going to go perform some Shaman rites on this whole setup, maybe try facing west this time, and then try a new permutation or combination of sequence of resetting and rebooting and see if anything changes. I will keep you posted.

Sigh!!!

Mo
dustman81
united state

dustman81 to moelle

to moelle
On your laptop when connected to your wireless network:
Try going to 'Run', type 'cmd' and click 'OK'.

Type 'ipconfig /all'

Please report back what it displays.