All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Wolf_229
join:2006-09-09
Terre Haute, IN

Wolf_229

Random connection drops, AT&T seem to not fix problem...

I have DSL through AT&T. At random intervals, the connection drops with the "DSL" light blinking on and off in red. There was even 1 night last week where the DSL light was on and the internet light turned red. I have had AT&T out 5 times now, and each time, they say something that the prior technician didn't. "Oh, there was another line going into the apartment...", "There was too much line in the network interface junction...", "The modem might be bad..." and they hardly ever look at the log files of the gateway page.

SO, I was hoping that I might get some better help from here because I think I'll be moving on from AT&T unless I figure this issue out...

Below is what I have coming up in the "Statistics" page in the gateway site:
--------------------------- begin log --------------------
Transmit and Receive Data
IP Bytes Packets Errors
Transmit: 271518623 3953883 0
Receive: 2295721792 7516559 0

Help
Data Errors
Statistics
Collected for 2 days 9:46:55
Since Reset Current 24-Hour Interval Current 15-Minute Interval Time Since Last Event
ATM Cell Header Errors: 3445 6 0 0:52:36
ATM Loss of Cell Delineation: 3152 1 0 2:02:26
DSL Link Retrains: 13 0 0 11:58:48
DSL Training Errors: 3 0 0 11:58:32
DSL Training Timeouts: 0 0 0 0:00:00
DSL Loss of Framing Failures: 15 0 0 1 day 9:50:19
DSL Loss of Signal Failures: 13 0 0 1 day 9:50:19
DSL Loss of Power Failures: 0 0 0 0:00:00
DSL Loss of Margin Failures: 25 0 0 1 day 9:50:19
DSL Cumulative Errored Seconds: 343 4 0 0:52:36
DSL Severely Errored Seconds: 61 0 0 10:48:42
DSL Corrected Blocks: 0 0 0 0:00:00
DSL Uncorrected Blocks: 3536 6 0 0:52:36
ISP Connection Establishment: 6 6 6 18:03:09
Let me know if it is unreadable as I know pasting in some websites causes display issues. As you should see above though, I get the occasional retrain. This log doesn't show many, but last week I had 5-8 in a row in intervals of 25 seconds to 2 minutes apart. Last night I had '1', which is what is listed up there (or should be listed).

Please let me know if you need anything else to properly diagnose this. Thanks for any help.
upb
Premium Member
join:2004-03-15
Carriere, MS

upb

Premium Member

It doesn't appear to be a problem with the router, but looks instead like a problem on AT&T's end of things. If they're installing new equipment or lines, they may be unavoidably interrupting your signal from time to time.
Wolf_229
Terre Haute, IN

1 edit

Wolf_229

Okay... Att sent me another router. I still get retrains!!!

The only difference is that the amount of time that the router takes to get re-connected is less.

Here are my latest stats...

Statistics
Collected for 2 days 7:25:39
Since Reset Current 24-Hour Interval Current 15-Minute Interval Time Since Last Event
ATM Cell Header Errors: 104 89 0 0:48:08
ATM Loss of Cell Delineation: 64 64 0 1:00:02
DSL Link Retrains: 3 1 0 1:00:57
DSL Training Errors: 0 0 0 0:00:00
DSL Training Timeouts: 0 0 0 0:00:00
DSL Loss of Framing Failures: 1 1 0 1:00:58
DSL Loss of Signal Failures: 1 1 0 1:00:58
DSL Loss of Power Failures: 0 0 0 0:00:00
DSL Loss of Margin Failures: 1 1 0 1:00:58
DSL Cumulative Errored Seconds: 46 27 1 0:04:48
DSL Severely Errored Seconds: 1 1 0 1:00:58
DSL Corrected Blocks: 0 0 0 0:00:00
DSL Uncorrected Blocks: 130 106 1 0:04:48
ISP Connection Establishment: 1 1 1 0:01:24

I have been using this new router now for about 2.5 weeks. I have had '8' techies come out, and every time they haven't charged me for anything. This obviously tells me that either they don't know what they're doing, or that it is a problem they simply cannot feasibly fix.

Should I lose Att??? Should I go with cable!? This makes me so angry...

Fasa
@swbell.net

Fasa to Wolf_229

Anon

to Wolf_229
Take a phone off hook for a few hours and see if you have any disconnection during that time.

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David

Premium Member

Hey, I would love to help but I need your dsl number posted in the direct forum please.

Thanks
david
Wolf_229
Terre Haute, IN

Wolf_229 to Fasa

to Fasa
said by Fasa :

Take a phone off hook for a few hours and see if you have any disconnection during that time.
K, I'll do that, but just out of curiosity; what's it supposed to do?
Wolf_229

Wolf_229 to David

to David
said by David:

Hey, I would love to help but I need your dsl number posted in the direct forum please.

Thanks
david
I'm a newb at this, so forgive me David, but what do you mean? I haven't posted anything in a "direct forum" relating to any sort of number (that I can consciously remember)...

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David

Premium Member

1.) Click link below:
»[TROUBLE] Att woes: Retrains, 8 techie visits, still having prob

2.) press "reply" button on post of mine.

3.) Input dsl enabled phone number in there and hit post

Fasa
@sbcglobal.net

1 recommendation

Fasa to Wolf_229

Anon

to Wolf_229
DSL works only with phone off-hook, known as High Open (#11821)
If you find your DSL modem dropping off line or losing sync when your phones are not in use and syncing ok when you use the phone, you have a condition likely caused by a "high open".

The phone line consists of a pair of copper wires originating at a Central Office (CO) or Remote Terminal (RT) and running through various cables, cross connect boxes, and other splices until it reaches your Network Interface Device (NID). From the NID your inside wiring brings the line to your telephone and modem jacks.

Each splice, interconnect, and terminal on the line between you and the phone company's equipment must be a tight, low-resistance electrical connection for the line to work well.

When you use a telephone a small amount of electrical current flows in the copper wires and this current, which carries your voice, also helps keep the splice points in the line clean and tight. This is commonly called "sealing current" because it seals the junctions.

Lines exposed to air can either oxidize slightly or sometimes corrode heavily depending on conditions. This deterioration at splice points in copper phone cable can cause this "high open" condition. The bad junction creates high resistance, effectively creating an "open" in the line, and DSL signals might fail to cross it, or be weakened by the attempt. When a phone is picked up current begins to flow and the resistance drops during the call. If its just a light case of oxidation you may not notice any change in sound quality. A bad case of corrosion might cause audible clicks, pops, and static on a voice call.

Since DSL signals do not draw current on your line, high open conditions can lead to the degradation of the DSL signal to the point of losing sync. When you use your phone you seal the faulty connection and DSL signal returns. When you put the phone on-hook and stop the current flow the high open returns, sometimes right away - sometimes with a delay, and your DSL loses sync. High opens can also cause other oddball conditions, such as sync loss when the phone rings.

To fix this situation you should first test NID your modem at your NID. Plug your DSL modem directly in to the test jack at your NID and see if sync is solid there.

If you do not have good sync at your NID then you need to call your phone company and report trouble on your line. It is recommended that you first report it simply as a Plain Old Telephone Service (POTS) problem of "static" on the line and request a metallic loop test. This is the automated test done when ever a phone line problem is reported using the normal phone trouble number. It should spot a high open condition. If you talk to a trouble operator do not mention anything about DSL at this point, it only serves to confuse the issue sometimes.

If the test spots the high open problem the telephone company will track it down and fix it, which should lead to normal DSL function again.

If you do have solid sync at the NID, then the problem is someplace in your inside phone wiring. Check all the screw terminals at the NID for tight wire connections. Check any splice points in your internal wiring for corrosion or bad junctions, especially in moist or damp areas. Disconnect any lines to jacks that are no longer used and double check all wires in jacks and look for clean contacts on plugs and sockets. Plug a phone in at your modem's jack and make sure you have clear dial tone and no static.

If this does not solve the problem then start your DSL service provider's trouble procedures.

- Riss_Centaur 2/12/05

Gameseed
@pacbell.net

Gameseed to Wolf_229

Anon

to Wolf_229
If you are using an 2wire router that comes with USB connection try using it.

I use to have random disconnections, but after installing the USB driver for my router no more problems.