dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
« Dont Expect Change
This is a sub-selection from Depressing.

Memyself
@pdf.com

Memyself to bogey7806

Anon

to bogey7806

Re: Depressing.

Hogwash. Most europeans markets have been deregulated by the government, thereby fostering more competition. This has nothing to do with some kind of government run telecom business and has everything to do with the regulator doing its job, which is to foster competition.

People have a hard time seeing past their preconceived ideas apparently...
bogey7806
join:2004-03-19
Here

bogey7806

'People have a hard time seeing past their preconceived ideas apparently'

Yes, indeed. You have the preconceived notion that regulation makes the market better.

Goverment mandated competition doesn't help the market. We had a whole decade of regulatory created competition to prove that canard wrong.
Ahrenl
join:2004-10-26
North Andover, MA

Ahrenl

So your contention is that government provided wire-line monopolies make the market better?

This market already has regulation, it just needs to be done properly. The question of more/less is hyperbole. We need more good regulation, and less bad regulation.
bogey7806
Here

bogey7806

Wheres the gov't monopoly? They all ended in 1984.
Necronomikro
join:2005-09-01

Necronomikro

So, instead of one big monopoly, you have several smaller monopolies that won't intrude on each other's territories? ...
bogey7806
Here

bogey7806

So you're saying that if you live in at&t territory you can only get service from at&t? You know that's false.
Necronomikro

Necronomikro

For pots service? Yes.

For broadband? Me, personally, yes.
bogey7806
Here

bogey7806

POTS has competition from cellular and VOIP. You may not think that they do...the FCC may not think they do but in the marketplace they certainly do.
Chair5
join:2002-04-08
San Francisco, CA

Chair5

And how does Cellular and VOIP relate to DSL?
bogey7806
Here

bogey7806

They relate the POTS. That's why I said specifically when the prior post said POTS, I referenced POTS in my rebuttal. It's Engligh 101. If the prior post referenced DSL I would have made a reply referencing it.
Ahrenl
join:2004-10-26
North Andover, MA

Ahrenl to bogey7806

to bogey7806
The government monopoly (or oligopoly more correctly) is that it is not possible to build competing wireline services because of physical limits to Public ROW space. That is the government wire-line monopoly (oligopoly). There is no widely available competition in wireline broadband. Satelite and wireless are still not comparable.

Since the government MUST provide wireline monopolies (oligopolies) because no one wants 1,000 different networks wired over their neighborhoods, they also must provide effective and fair regulation for those networks. ANY business that uses the public domain as a profit center can and should be subject to some additional regulation. If you're a private company, using private funding, operating on private land/assets then you're free to operate under the normal regulatory environment.
Necronomikro

Necronomikro to bogey7806

to bogey7806
Funny, I didn't know there was competitive cell service back in 1984!
« Dont Expect Change
This is a sub-selection from Depressing.