how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

snedecor

join:2001-08-03
Angleton, TX

Another Mail Problem : Maildrop Busy

I've getting this error more and more often. I'm on an sbcglobal.net account, and use the yahoo mail accounts. Frequently there are multiple access attempts by Outlook Express, failing with the message above.

This is with new SSL and new ports.

It's getting to be a pain.....

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
I just checked my MTA stats. In 139 polling cycles since Mercury/32 was started: No errors. Using 'pop.att.yahoo.com:995' w/SSL and 'smtp.att.yahoo.com:465' w/SSL. What mail agent are you using? Running with an Anti-Virus proxy?
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

jordanair

join:2000-08-15
Saint Louis, MO
reply to snedecor
check you email on the webmail page thru IE and move any new emails from your inbox to a folder you create, then send your self a test message thru outlook express .. this will help you see if a particular email is causing the server to hang .. if the test message goes thru then move the emails back to the inbox one at a time to find the offending email...

snedecor

Angleton, TX
reply to NormanS
I've checked Webmail as well. (using the fancy version) I sometimes get "We're sorry, there seems to be a problem accessing your mailbox" message on the webmail as well. If I re-try enough, both of them go through and all is well until the next time it happens.

I'm using XP-MCE, Outlook Express, Zonealarm Pro firewall.

Sometimes it goes through first time, sometimes I have to retry several times until the maildrop is no longer busy.

I've got a lot of messages on the server. I'll try to delete some and see if that helps.

Snedecor

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by snedecor:

I'm using XP-MCE, Outlook Express, Zonealarm Pro firewall.
HP Pavilion m7590 with MCE 2005, SP2. For POP3, using the Distributing POP3 Client module of Mercury/32; but that is running on an HP Pavilion 6745C with Windows Me. Email access is with Pegasus Mail. Windows Firewall under MCE, no firewall under Windows Me.

Mercury/32 is not showing any error connecting to 'pop.att.yahoo.com:995' with SSL. Nor connecting to 'smtp.att.yahoo.com:465' with SSL.

Do you have anti virus scanning enabled with MSOE?
--
Norman

bwclark

join:2004-07-05
Eureka, CA
reply to snedecor

Mail very busy

I agree with the fact that pop.att.yahoo.com mail server is very busy! I have many attempts sometimes and get nothing.

Is there another server I could use?

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by bwclark:

I agree with the fact that pop.att.yahoo.com mail server is very busy! I have many attempts sometimes and get nothing.

Is there another server I could use?
Aside from a web browser, no.
--
Norman

oldgringo

join:2005-04-15
Marfa, TX
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to snedecor

Re: Another Mail Problem : Maildrop Busy

I received an email from Yahoo regarding advertisements on the web based email. Since then I have been having problems with OE, and Firefox. Is Yahoo messing with the clients ability to connect to the server so we will use the web based email and read their ads? Something is not right and Tech Support wants to blame me when I have done nothing.

ReneeRC

join:2002-08-08
Ballwin, MO

1 edit
reply to snedecor
Okay, for the last few days I've also been having email problems. I've had this problem twice before. I use a Mac with AppleMail, and USUALLY don't have any problems whatsoever. However, from time to time, something goes wrong with the server, and then this problem comes back. I'm not sure, but I think this has happened in the past two years, in the Fall.

1st: When I am able to get my emails, the server seems to be SLOW about getting the process done, but then the next time my email program checks for mail, the process will be fine. At first I didn't report this because I thought it was just a burp in the system or something, but over the last couple of days it seems to be slowly getting worse.

2nd: On the times that I'm not able to get my emails, I get the following message:

CONNECTION FAILED:

There may be a problem with the mail server or network. The SERVER ERROR encountered was: The connection to the server "pop.att.yahoo.com timed out"

Remember, there are times when the server does what it's supposed to do just fine. Then there are other times when I can't get my emails. If I go to the yahoo server webpate I can see them but they didn't come to my email. Then, perhaps the very next time my email asks the server for them, the process goes through just fine. This is annoying to say the least.

John_E
Premium
join:2004-02-03
Florissant, MO
reply to snedecor
Yep, same old thing again and we are not alone. Also being discussed here in the Midwest Forum: »Catch-all thread for AT&T/Yahoo mail problems

To me, this problem is not linked to a specific e-mail client.

John in STL

ReneeRC

Ballwin, MO
Thanks for the link, John.

kruser
Premium
join:2002-06-01
Eastern MO
reply to snedecor
Yep, same problem here as well.

Same exact problem as the problem a few months ago and the one before that.

It seems that Yahoo works for 6 months or so and then breaks.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice

2 edits
let's start having the dsl numbers posted in direct please

Will need the following

1.) Address causing the problems, if multiples please list them
2.) DSL TN
3.) Mail client you are using
4.) copy of the error if you can get it.
5.) alternate contact number
6.) if it is happening in web-based e-mail please state yes or no.

For a topic header I had one created for the direct forum called [EMAIL-080107]

Start posting just that stuff there guys, and let's start tracking it down.

Thanks
david
--
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!

ReneeRC

Ballwin, MO
The frustrating thing about this problem is that, for me, it is intermittent. When I tried to get my mail from the server this morning it took a long time, and I kept getting that blasted pop up asking for my password, over and over again. At other times, it just times out, etc. So I shut my AppleMail down to relaunch it with the log script going, and the server behaved just fine, lol. So, I'll go to the Direct forum, but it may take a little time to get some log info to post.
Expand your moderator at work

motoguy0

join:2007-07-28
Springfield, MO
reply to David

Re: Another Mail Problem : Maildrop Busy

PM sent, David. Including my current Yahoo! trouble ticket. Ticket is 5 days old, I've been unable to retrieve my e-mail for 8 days now.

ReneeRC

Ballwin, MO

1 edit
reply to snedecor
BTTT--could this thread be made into a sticky until we see the problem resolved?

Just wanted to add that I'm still having these server problems. I'll post and let others know when the server problem goes away.

radougherty

join:1999-07-23
Austin, TX
reply to snedecor
Add me to the list having problems from multiple PC's using multipe ISP, besides AT&T. Been going on for a couple weeks now.

Gwailo

join:2000-07-16
Richardson, TX
Have you tried unchecking the SSL and let it go back to ports 110 and 25. There seems to be some disagreement on a separate post I did on this forum this AM, »Slow EMail or Time-Out's on New ATT Ports Solved
but it certainly worked for me, at least for now.

redskydawn

join:2003-12-02
Grove, OK
I tried using ports 25 and 110 without SSL as you suggested. It helped for a while but since has reverted back to nothing but problems.

I tried disabling my AVG AV Email Scanner and that did not help either.

Hopefully they get to the bottom of this soon.

Papanoc

join:2002-03-18
Lawton, OK
reply to snedecor
Yeah, hopefully someone will do something, even if it is wrong. I'm getting darn tired of wasting time sending the same trouble report over and over to these so called professionals. This has been re-appearing off and on for more than 2 years now and it's high time they took a serious look at the whole mess.

Ok, I feel a little better now.

Thanks!

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
I submitted my data thursday and Matthew See Profile was following up on it, and at last check Yahoo's NOC had it checking into.

Hopefully more developments to come. I won't be back in the office till monday but if they don't fix it by then.

Well, ummmmm.... "I'll have to kick them in the nuts!"
--
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!

dl97ag

join:2001-06-11
Plano, TX
reply to snedecor
Same problem last several days in N Dallas using new SSL servers - Outlook Express, swbell.net domain. Will post in Direct as well.

Switched back to old servers and tada, no problems. Will keep old settings until SSL is fixed.
--
I'm sure we can handle this responsibly, just like the mature adults that we are. Isn't that right, Mr Poopipants?

ReneeRC

Ballwin, MO
reply to David
said by David:

I submitted my data thursday and Matthew See Profile was following up on it, and at last check Yahoo's NOC had it checking into.

Hopefully more developments to come. I won't be back in the office till monday but if they don't fix it by then.

Well, ummmmm.... "I'll have to kick them in the nuts!"
LOL! David for President '08!

stardotstar

join:2000-12-13
Barker, TX
SAme problems here in Houston. Talked to tier 2 support, they told me to switch back to old but to know that the old would be going awway soon. ALso told me mail servers outage in Houston and if things did not get better in 24 hrs to call back and they would contact Yahoo to see what was going on.

Oh and they also told me to do away with Outlook and it would resolve my problem.

What a load of cra!.

ReneeRC

Ballwin, MO
reply to snedecor
Well....so far.......(fingers, toes and eyes crossed, etc).....my email problems SEEM to be gone. I'll see what today (Monday, workday) is like, and post back later.

ReneeRC

Ballwin, MO
Okay, I've had a couple of "timed out" sessions again with the server, so for me, the problem isn't totally fixed yet.

jonrkc
Premium
join:2003-05-19
Kansas City, MO
As with Renee, the situation looked better for a while. Here in KC I had a Sunday with almost normal service (normal meaning instantaneous checking). But Sunday night and again today, Monday, it's back to time-outs or, at best, taking over thirty seconds to check my main account and sub-account. It's hard to see a pattern, as I just give up on my client program, shut it down, and make do with webmail -- something I hoped I'd NEVER have to do.

snedecor

Angleton, TX
reply to snedecor
Hey, I got a sticky!

For me, Outlook Express, even though the username/password box keeps popping up, it's not a problem with authorization. The error message that OE reports is: "Your username/password was rejected" and then the critical part: ERR: Maildrop Busy.

I seem to have gotten better response after I deleted a bunch of old messages. I keep messages on the server, so I can access them from work via webmail. At one time I had over 1000. I reduced them to ~200, and the issue seems to be better, but not completely resolved.

Snedecor

jonrkc
Premium
join:2003-05-19
Kansas City, MO
I'm glad they made this sticky, too.

Blaming Outlook Express (which untold millions of users have) or any other reputable email client sounds like a typical scripted response, and a desperate one at that.

As for messages accumulated on the server, I deleted all of mine, which only amounted to about 400, I think, the other day and it made no difference at all.

I get the popup, too, and just "cancel" it. Most of the time the mail gets checked OK anyway -- when things are otherwise working, which they aren't right now....