yazdzik
MVM
join:2000-07-26
Honesdale, PA

yazdzik

MVM

.22 rant

Dear Friends,

Why do children and kernles come without instructions?

For some reason, known only to god and linus, 2.6.22 libata has decided to name what used to be sdX hdX.

Okay, so after the intitial "cannot find my ass" rolling by me 2367 times, even I knew that something was wrong with the boot process.

So, I guessed, wrongly, that the sata modules were not loading, rather like presuming the brakes do not work because one is driving drunk.

In the end, an hour and 197 googles later, I took a wild, stupid, desparate stab at appedning root=hda4 to the lilo conf file....

this worked, for no reason I can grasp...

Now, if I were to publish a cookbook with only ingredients but no cooking method, surely some editor would complain.

Debian needs to have a way to note in the descriptions of their pacakges:

"JERK - if you think you can install the kernel, mkinitrdramfs and boot without ruining your whole day, you are a complete fool. Change the lilo entry for the new kernel to append the new monniker because someone thought it would be cool to fuck with you because he was coding after his eighth Guinness. Now, let's sing the old pub song: scsi is ide as long as morton wants it to be"

Now, this is still less time than it took to realise that MS Outlook destroyed the usb connectors unless one updated the service pack, but hell, if we are catching up to microsoft in user friendliness, we are surely headed down the wrong road way too fast.

Disgruntled,

Fat Martin

No_Strings

join:2001-11-22
The OC

1 recommendation

No_Strings

I can only hope that calmer heads prevail and that the .22 is locked up ... along with the .25, the 380 auto and the odd 9mm which might be lying around.

May the rest of your day go well.

PetePuma
How many lumps do you want
MVM
join:2002-06-13
Arlington, VA

1 recommendation

PetePuma to yazdzik

MVM

to yazdzik
If you undefine CONFIG_IDE_GENERIC then your disk will show up again as /dev/sdX (from what I can gather).

antiserious
The Future ain't what it used to be
Premium Member
join:2001-12-12
Scranton, PA

antiserious to yazdzik

Premium Member

to yazdzik

I sympathize - I'm still at 'tab A, slot B' from Xmas '86.

yazdzik
MVM
join:2000-07-26
Honesdale, PA

yazdzik to PetePuma

MVM

to PetePuma
said by PetePuma:

If you undefine CONFIG_IDE_GENERIC then your disk will show up again as /dev/sdX (from what I can gather).
Thanks Pete -

And yes, this is correct, in case anyone lands here with google -

the correct way to use a sata system is to build a kernel as without the ide generic driver configured.

(now, there is a dirty solution which I used while waiting for the rebuild -

in lilo.cong, append to the .22 kernel entry ide0=noprobe and ide1=noprobe and so so on....

this is mean, dirty, cheap, and unethical - but works for those who do not have the patience os skill to deal with the kernel recompile)

Still gotta wonder who chooses the kerneld efaults, though....

maybe someone who writes code with a fountain pen?

Thanks again,

-m

mwc
Premium Member
join:2005-04-11
Waterloo, ON

mwc to yazdzik

Premium Member

to yazdzik
If you use Udev, there's an easy way to fix this, for once and for all. What you want to do is to use filesystem labels, instead of the actual device nodes. Check in /dev/disk/by-label/ Hopefully, that directory exists, and contains something like:
$ ls -l
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 2007-07-16 14:19 bootstrap -> ../../hda2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 2007-07-16 14:19 swap0 -> ../../hda3
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 2007-07-16 14:19 vanadium_root -> ../../hda4

Assuming that's there, you can change your lilo/grub configurations, and /etc/fstab, to reference those entries as opposed to the actual device entries. Since 2.6.17, my entries have gone from sda to hda and back a few times, and I haven't noticed the difference.

mwc
redhatnation
Premium Member
join:2005-06-02
Woodbridge, VA

redhatnation to yazdzik

Premium Member

to yazdzik
said by yazdzik:

For some reason, known only to god and linus, 2.6.22 libata has decided to name what used to be sdX hdX.
Didn't they do this previously? Around the time of Fedora Core 2/3? Only the change was the other way -- from hdX to sdX?

bluedemon
Reduce blood pressure. Ignore trolls
join:2000-07-29
Sunderland, MA

bluedemon to mwc

to mwc
said by mwc:

If you use Udev, there's an easy way to fix this, for once and for all. What you want to do is to use filesystem labels, instead of the actual device nodes. Check in /dev/disk/by-label/ Hopefully, that directory exists, and contains something like:
$ ls -l
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 2007-07-16 14:19 bootstrap -> ../../hda2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 2007-07-16 14:19 swap0 -> ../../hda3
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 2007-07-16 14:19 vanadium_root -> ../../hda4

Assuming that's there, you can change your lilo/grub configurations, and /etc/fstab, to reference those entries as opposed to the actual device entries. Since 2.6.17, my entries have gone from sda to hda and back a few times, and I haven't noticed the difference.

mwc
If the labels don't exist see this howto:
»ubuntuforums.org/showthr ··· t=283131

Scroll down to How to Label

jdong
Eat A Beaver, Save A Tree.
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Rochester, MI

jdong to yazdzik

Premium Member

to yazdzik
You should really be using LABEL= or UUID= for your mounts. It'll save you a lot of other grief too, such as stupid BIOS'es by ASUS and others that initialize their built-in SATA controller channels in random order, so what's sda this bootup is sdb next boot.

Jodokast96
Stupid people piss me off.
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
NJ

Jodokast96 to No_Strings

Premium Member

to No_Strings
said by No_Strings:

I can only hope that calmer heads prevail and that the .22 is locked up ... along with the .25, the 380 auto and the odd 9mm which might be lying around.

May the rest of your day go well.
That's exactly what I thought the subject was about as well, lol.