share rss forum feed

Phil
Rojo Sol
Premium
join:2001-06-11
Downers Grove, IL
kudos:2

Less Popcorn Sold?

That is just too funny! How about the 4000% markup on popcorn at theaters being the cause less people buy it.
--
Correcting one "looser" at a time.

en102
Canadian, eh?

join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA

2 recommendations

In general, corn prices should be up anyways because of E85, and Ethanol. The movie industry (as well as any other interested / controlling comapany) wants... CONTROL.
--
Canada = Hollywood North

backness

join:2005-07-08
K2P OW2
exactly, corn futures are at an all time high...

Hollywood get your head out of your ass!

Sr Tech
Premium
join:2003-01-19
New Britain, CT
kudos:1
Forget about p2p I have boycotted from seeing movies in theaters for the last 15 years because of the high cost, I guess I have hurt them the most.lol

MysticGogeta
The Robot Devil
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Katy, TX
reply to Phil
Next they will complain that jobs are lost because no one is there to spill their sticky items on the floor to clean up.
--
Team Discovery-Join the fight

jimbo2150

join:2004-05-10
Euclid, OH
reply to Sr Tech
said by Sr Tech:

Forget about p2p I have boycotted from seeing movies in theaters for the last 15 years because of the high cost, I guess I have hurt them the most.lol
I am the same way, but not just because of the price. Also, I refuse to go to movies because no matter how much I despise the movie I see, there is no way to stop my support of the movie. No matter what, the movie theater will not give even a percentage back or even record that disapproved or approved of the film. How is it fair that I am forced to support and finance movies that I do not even like?
--

- "Techie" Jim

S_engineer
Premium
join:2007-05-16
Chicago, IL

1 recommendation

Its not about fair, its about how much of your income that they believe they deserve. However, I don't think NBC has to worry too much about any of their crappy programs being distributed via p2p. Who would waste the time?
--
Burn a tire, but make sure you buy that carbon offset!

TCO1962
Premium
join:2001-07-02
Champaign, IL

1 edit
reply to backness
said by backness:

exactly, corn futures are at an all time high...

While I agree this popcorn crap is ridiculous I would invite you to check a chart on the corn futures. They are trading close to $1.00 off the highs. Just your friendly fyi.
--
»www.e85fuel.com »www.gm.com/company/onlygm/livegr ··· oyellow/

curious person

@sbcglobal.net
reply to Phil
There was a NY Times article a while back about how cows are raised on farms, and the whole workings of the large factory farms, and so on.

That article mentioned that corn, used to feed the cows (hence "grain fed" beef), is purchased by those farms at 20% below COST. 20% below what it COSTS the farmers to grow it. Approximately.

Dunno if this still holds true today, but apparently the rest is made up through govt. subsidies (taxpayer dollars).

Which turns into corn syrup. Sugar, also, has often been "dumped".

My impression of lots of the processed foods today is that they are predominantly value added, whereas the raw materials are relatively inexpensive, but the labor that is added to those raw materials drives the economy.

Think about it -- if we were to eliminate the obesity epidemic in the US (when pigs fly...) there would be massive job losses. Fast food joints would close down. Breakfast cereal manufactures, ice cream manufacturers, soda pop franchise setups would all do significantly less business. Our GDP would suffer. Our standard of living would go down. Our economy might very well collapse!

Obesity DRIVES this economy. Obesity creates jobs. It benefits the health care industry with increased revenues. It benefits the pharmaceutical industries with increased sales of all kinds of pills. Long live obesity! Ha!

The internet is without a doubt a significant untapped revenue stream for these content people. Whoever these people are, they just have it all wrong - which is not surprising for lots of reasons. These execs have probably grown up in an era of accentuated black-and-white thinking, what - with Vietnam, Nixon, Woodstock... they don't feel comfortable with greys. Unless it's wool, and they're wearing it...

There is a significant untapped potential in the internet -- billions and billions of dollars of revenues just sitting there... waiting... for someone to stretch out their hand and take them.

That they don't "get it" is, like, seriously THEIR problem.

cdigioia
Premium
join:2005-06-08
korea, repub
Reviews:
·Charter

1 recommendation

reply to Phil
To be fair, the corn lobby in the US is increadibly powerful. That's why we use corn for ethanol, instead of vastly more efficient sugar cane like Brazil). We have high tariffs on sugar cane imports used for ethanol, and subsidized corn-based ethanol production. (Note: This isn't a baseless rant, but well accepted in economic journals)

That said, it's still stupid.

TCO1962
Premium
Champaign, IL
said by cdigioia:

To be fair, the corn lobby in the US is increadibly powerful.
Your correct there. After that you down hill. While the rest of your post isn't totally inaccurate it's so far from the "rest of the story" it's ridiculous.
--

cdigioia
Premium
join:2005-06-08
korea, repub
Reviews:
·Charter
said by TCO1962:

Your correct there. After that you down hill. While the rest of your post isn't totally inaccurate it's so far from the "rest of the story" it's ridiculous.
I may be incorrect, I only remember this from a few journal articles, and one economics professor. Would you elaborate on the rest of the story that's relevant?

Chauncey Gardiner

join:2005-08-03
CX 747-400

1 recommendation

reply to cdigioia
The corn lobby and their actions against sugar importation are one reason that high fructose corn syrup has all but replaced sugar in many old favorites (Coca-Cola, Pepsi).

Their sugar-based counterparts continue to be produced and marketed elsewhere, however.

reub2000
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Evanston, IL
reply to curious person
But health clubs and manufacturers of sporting goods would do better.
--
My pbase gallery

The Antihero

join:2002-04-09
Enola, PA
reply to Phil
said by Phil:

That is just too funny! How about the 4000% markup on popcorn at theaters being the cause less people buy it.
Nope. Anytime people start buying less of anything, it's because of piracy.

tlniec

join:2004-08-02
Cedar Rapids, IA
reply to 43193594
"The corn lobby and their actions against sugar importation are one reason that high fructose corn syrup has all but replaced sugar in many old favorites (Coca-Cola, Pepsi).

Their sugar-based counterparts continue to be produced and marketed elsewhere, however."

Coca-Cola made with actual sugar is sooooo much better than that made high-fructose corn syrup (imho). But it is damn hard to find.

Chauncey Gardiner

join:2005-08-03
CX 747-400

1 recommendation

said by tlniec:

"The corn lobby and their actions against sugar importation are one reason that high fructose corn syrup has all but replaced sugar in many old favorites (Coca-Cola, Pepsi).

Their sugar-based counterparts continue to be produced and marketed elsewhere, however."

Coca-Cola made with actual sugar is sooooo much better than that made high-fructose corn syrup (imho). But it is damn hard to find.
Coca-Cola still produces the Sucrose syrup in quantity for international distribution, as the sugar isn't tariffed elsewhere to protect corn. (Although I really love corn, just not as a sweetener).

Basically every market other than North America utilizes sucrose-based syrup, rather than HFCS.

kamm

join:2001-02-14
Brooklyn, NY
reply to cdigioia
said by cdigioia:

said by TCO1962:

I may be incorrect, I only remember this from a few journal articles, and one economics professor. Would you elaborate on the rest of the story that's relevant?
He won't because you're right, he's just being an @ss...
--

kamm

join:2001-02-14
Brooklyn, NY
reply to 43193594
said by 43193594:

said by tlniec:

Coca-Cola still produces the Sucrose syrup in quantity for international distribution, as the sugar isn't tariffed elsewhere to protect corn. (Although I really love corn, just not as a sweetener).

Basically every market other than North America utilizes sucrose-based syrup, rather than HFCS.
Exactly. Mopre often than not I have a feeling the US Gov deliberately posion its population to make sure they will pay the completely out-of-touch price for healthcare.

HFCS IS BAD FOR YOU.
BAD, BAD, VERY BAD - yet it is FORCFULLY PUSHED DOWN ON EVERYBODY'S THROAT by the US Gov.

Read more here:
»www.westonaprice.org/modernfood/ ··· ose.html
»www.thefitshack.com/2007/06/19/h ··· ference/
--

Thaler
Premium
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA
kudos:3
reply to tlniec
I'd agree...but then I'm waiting for Coca-Cola to take out the carcinogens in their canned sodas and syrups.

»news.independent.co.uk/health/ar ··· 6652.ece

Dunno what the timetable is that they agreed to in the lawsuits is though.

bigunk
Gort, Klattu Birada Nikto

join:2001-02-10
USA
reply to cdigioia
Don't forget switchgrass as a great starting point for ethanol. »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switchgras ··· tchgrass.

TCO1962
Premium
Champaign, IL
reply to kamm
said by kamm:

said by cdigioia:

said by TCO1962:

He won't because you're right, he's just being an @ss...
You're incorrect on both counts. Sorry I don't have the time to educate you at the moment.
--