Search similar:

uniqs

curiousADSL
@pacbell.net

curiousADSL

Anon

WRT54G - Static IP and 4100B modem in bridge mode - Help

Greetings.

I have a very old (10yrs +/-) pacbell static IP connection that was recently upgraded to Pro. I was able to keep the static IP.

The connection currently works with my original Alcatel 1000. I have both a BEFSR41 (wired) and WRT54G (wireless) routers.

I opted for the new modem/rebate since my original modem is so old. They sent me a 4100B

I was able to secure sync with the 4100B, set it to bridge and setup one computer with the static IP etc.. it works.

I am unable so far to make the 4100B work with the lynksys router with the same settings I have had (which work with both alcatel/pc directly connected to 4100b).

Lynksys router:
LAN 192.168.1.1 / 255.255.255.0 (subnetmask choices are presets)

WAN - Static IP
My IP address with original subnet settings.

So far the only solutions I have seen for lynksys-router/4100b deal with dynamic ip's.

Your help will be appreciated.

Thanks

d_l
Barsoom
MVM
join:2002-12-08
Reno, NV

d_l

MVM

We think this solution should work with a single static IP as well: »SBC DSL FAQ »How do I access the modem GUI thru a router - advanced methods? All you need is a switch or hub to try it. Pick whichever router will be your primary router and set its WAN to your static IP.
jpetersack
join:2001-04-04
Mountain View, CA

jpetersack to curiousADSL

to curiousADSL
I have a 5100B modem and the same router. Attached is my router setup. I have made the router 192.169.0.2 in order to work with a VPN server.
mxyztplk
join:2003-07-24
San Jose, CA

4 edits

mxyztplk to curiousADSL

to curiousADSL
Assuming that you have one PC fully functional to surf the internet when directly connected to the 4100B in Bridged mode, here is the other info you will need to configure the Linksys for your LAN.

I recommend that you assign fixed IPs to each of your PCs, as this appears to work more robustly than using dynamic IPs. I will therefore give you info assuming fixed IPs [but with the ability to automatically assign IPs starting at 200].

After entering all settings, power cycle the PCs, the WRT54G and the modem [a little power cycling goes a long way!]

Try it with one PC first [to verify that everything is OK].

[NOTE: I did not have to change anything in my WRT54G configuration to swap in the SS 4100B. I am able to interchange the Alcatel 1000 with the 4100B just by swapping cables.]

LINKSYS WRT54G SETTINGS

SETUP > BASIC SETUP
---Internet Setup
Internet Connection Type: Static IP
> Internet IP Address: (your assigned WAN IP)
> Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
> Gateway: (your assigned WAN gateway IP}
> Static DNS 1: (AT&T assigned DNS1 IP or other)
> Static DNS 2: (AT&T assigned DNS2 IP or other)
> Static DNS 3: (DSN3 IP or blank)
---Optional Settings (required by some ISPs)
> Router Name: WRT54G [or whatever you wish]
> Host Name: [whatever you wish]
> Domain Name: [none]
> MTU: Auto
> Size: [greyed out (1500)]
---Network Setup
Router IP
> Local IP Address: 192.168.1.1
> Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
---Network Address
Server Settings (DHCP)
> DHCP Server: Enable
> Starting IP Address: 192.168.1.200
> Maximum Number of DHCP Users: 50
> Client Lease Time: 0 minutes (0 means one day)
> WINS: 0.0.0.0
Time Setting
Time Zone:
> (GMT-08:00) Pacific Time (USA & Canada)
> Y Automatically adjust clock for daylight saving changes
---------------------------------------------
SETUP > DDNS
DDNS Service: Disable
SETUP > MAC ADDRESS CLONE
> Disable
SETUP > ADVANCED ROUTING
> [no additional entries]
WIRELESS > BASIC WIRELESS SETTINGS
Wireless Network
> Wireless Network Mode: Disabled (unless you are using it)
WIRELESS > WIRELESS SECURITY
> Security Mode: Disable (unless you are using wireless)
WIRELESS > WIRELESS MAC FILTER
> Wireless MAC Filter: Disable
--------------------------------------------
WIRELESS > ADVANCED WIRELESS SETTINGS
[see screen for details]
SECURITY
Firewall
> Firewall Protection: Enable
> Y Block Anonymous Internet Requests
> Y Filter Multicast
> N Filter Internet NAT Redirection
> Y Filter IDENT (Port 113)
ACCESS RESTRICTIONS
[no additional entries - see screen for field details]
APPLICATIONS & GAMING
[port settings as required for various apps or games]
ADMINISTRATION
Router Password
Local Router Access
> Router Password: [whatever, and reenter to confirm]
Web Access
> Access Server: HTTP
> Wireless Access Web: Enable
Remote Router Access
> Remote Management: Disable
> Management Port: [greyed out (8080)]
> Use https: (unchecked)
UPnP
> UPnP Enable (if desired)

NIC SETTINGS FOR EACH PC {assuming FIXED IPs}

IP address: 192.168.1.xxx
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 192.168.1.1
Preferred DNS server: [DNS1 IP, same as entered in WRT54G]
Alternate DNS server: [DNS2 IP, same as entered in WRT54G]

[where xxx is between, say, 100 and 150, or whatever memorable range you would like]
[but where xxx is not 1 or in the range allocated for automatically-assigned IPs]

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to curiousADSL

MVM

to curiousADSL
said by curiousADSL :

So far the only solutions I have seen for lynksys-router/4100b deal with dynamic ip's.

Your help will be appreciated.
Can the SS4100B work with a static IP address in any mode other than bridged? I would think not. A static IP address assignment, the old Pacbell assigned type, I think is true static; no DHCP, or PPP log in. In order to access a bridged SS4100 you need the extra switch.

I can't offer any more than that because my connection is with the dynamic IP address and PPPoE.
mxyztplk
join:2003-07-24
San Jose, CA

mxyztplk

NormanS wrote: Can the SS4100B work with a static IP address in any mode other than bridged? I would think not. A static IP address assignment, the old Pacbell assigned type, I think is true static; no DHCP, or PPP log in.

This is evidently true: the old Pacbell static IPs (the OP's and mine) are true static IPs; no DHCP, no PPP log in. (I also recall old threads about this.)

When I got the 4100B, I did an experiment to see if PPPoE would somehow work on my line. I was unable to successfully login with PPPoE on the modem, using a variety of settings. This further confirmed my expectation.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

d_l See Profile seems to think that the SS4100B could handle a true static in the half-bridged mode, "PPP is on the computer". I can't test this, not having a true static IP address.

The modem instructions state:
quote:
PPP is on the computer. This mode is normally used if you need to run a PPPoE client on your PC. This mode can be used with a gateway or router which initiates a PPPoE session. To return to the DSL modem user interface you will need to directly connect your PC to the modem without any gateway or router between the modem and the PC.

I'd guess that configuring the router WAN port with the static IP address data (IP address, gateway IP address, DNS server IP addresses) would be necessary.

d_l
Barsoom
MVM
Reno, NV

d_l to mxyztplk

MVM

to mxyztplk
As NormanS See Profile said, I do think "PPP is on the computer" mode might work with your true statics. That mode is even reported as a bridged mode by the modem. I usually call it a quasi-bridged mode because the modem is still trying to be a DHCP server for its single IP, 192.168.1.64., but there is no PPPoE encapsulation involved if you don't have a PPPoE client behind the modem passing that sort of traffic through it.

I'm not sure what advantage "PPP is on the computer" mode would give you though over the fully bridged mode.

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

nwrickert

Mod

I'm not sure what advantage "PPP is on the computer" mode would give you though over the fully bridged mode.
Easier access to the modem statistics page (by directly connecting and picking up that DHCP address provided by the modem).

d_l
Barsoom
MVM
Reno, NV

1 edit

d_l

MVM

But in the context of a single static IP on the WAN of the router as this thread is about, having the modem acting as a DHCP server isn't much help. Edit: The modem DHCP serving is still mainly there for dynamic IP users.

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

nwrickert

Mod

I'll grant that it isn't much help, except if you want to check statistics. And if your ISP use DHCP to allocate an IP address, this could cause a conflict.

The other benefit is that PPPoE on the computer is the way an unconfigured 4100 will behave (because it doesn't have account info for doing the PPPoE). So, provided you are manually assigning the static IP address to router or computer, you would be able to just plug in the 4100 and it would work.

curiousADSL
@pacbell.net

curiousADSL to curiousADSL

Anon

to curiousADSL
It seems that all that was needed was a reboot/power cycle of everything. I can now swap between the alcate1000 and the 4100B with both wired/wireless. It also seems I have a minor short in the router/modem cable -router plug.

Thank you for your suggestions.
I think I'll rest from the plugging / unpluggin before venturing on figuring out how to access the modem gui thru the router.
bwclark
join:2004-07-05
Eureka, CA

bwclark to curiousADSL

to curiousADSL
Same situation here with the Linksys WRT54GS and a new SS 4100.

I did have to connect directly to the modem and set to "bridged" and then when I connected the router to the modem, it was able to work properly.

So, not a direct plug n play, as the directions seem to indicate, but not too difficult.

My Alcatel 1000 is still in place and it would be simple to connect and use if needed.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by bwclark:

So, not a direct plug n play, as the directions seem to indicate, but not too difficult.
The SS4100 is shipped to customers getting single dynamic IP addresses using PPPoE. AFAIK, the instructions are designed (and accurate) for that usage. AT&T no longer sells single static IP addresses, or even true static IP addresses (they do sell /29s of "sticky" static IP addresses; but ship a different modem for that package).

wayjac
MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy

wayjac to bwclark

MVM

to bwclark
What did you do about the pinout differences of the modems?
bwclark
join:2004-07-05
Eureka, CA

bwclark

I had installed a direct line from the splitter located in the outside box to my office where everything is located. I had only connected the outside pins to the incoming line and that worked fine.

I had to connect the inside pins to the incoming line connections.....done!