Australia

1 edit

1 recommendation

Gavin_TH to StraitShoot

to StraitShoot

Re: Kaspersky, You lost me at ISwift..

Is there a fix yet ?

I have this problem. I WANT A FIX.

My main drive experiences a big delay, but can you imagine how bad it is on my drive with over 300,000 files ?

And I thought it was just all the indexes.. no wonder its so damn slow !

StraitShoot
Who Loves Ya Baby? - Theo Kojak
Premium Member
join:2003-02-08
Clinton, MA

StraitShoot

Premium Member

said by Gavin_TH:

Is there a fix yet ?

My main drive experiences a big delay, but can you imagine how bad it is on my drive with over 300,000 files ?

My God.. Gavin is an expert with AV and Trojan Software... if this problem is so severe, you've got THIS guy stumped, then Kaspersky, you REALLY have a problem...

Khaine
join:2003-03-03
Australia

Khaine

said by StraitShoot:

said by Gavin_TH:

Is there a fix yet ?

My God.. Gavin is an expert with AV and Trojan Software... if this problem is so severe, you've got THIS guy stumped, then Kaspersky, you REALLY have a problem...
I don't think this is a major issue really. chkdsk takes longer, yes, buts thats because it now has more metadata to look through, so logically it would take more time.

StraitShoot
Who Loves Ya Baby? - Theo Kojak
Premium Member
join:2003-02-08
Clinton, MA

StraitShoot

Premium Member

said by Khaine:
said by StraitShoot:
said by Gavin_TH:

Is there a fix yet ?

I don't think this is a major issue really. chkdsk takes longer, yes, buts thats because it now has more metadata to look through, so logically it would take more time.
I'm not going to rant! But the "ranting" is what FINALLY got Kaspersky to respond...

If I was told I would have more "metadata" after I installed KAV, and they were to be there FOREVER after the install, as long as I knew, I wouldn't be mad...

I'm mad...
Jim
Gavin_TH
join:2003-04-03
Australia

Gavin_TH to StraitShoot

to StraitShoot
The best I was able to come up with was disabling indexing in the drive properties.. this seems to have no effect

(sigh.. wishing hadn't started chkdsk about now )
Gavin_TH

1 recommendation

Gavin_TH

15mins now and 0% :|

And of course you can't access that drive, its locked. Can't cancel chkdsk either.

Who said this isn't a problem ?
Peter2150
join:2003-08-31
Washington, DC

Peter2150

Hi Gavin

You can cancel Chkdsk, IF you have a good image to restore. The one and only time I've run chkdsk was cause I was curious to see if I had any issues on this machine. I always use the /f/r mode and did so without thinking once I realized the last stage was going to take forever, I just popped my recovery CD in the drive and it the power reset. Restoring the image took care of any issues I might have created with the reset.

Cheers,

PS Just curious why run chkdsk so often. Between my two new machines they have close to two years on them, and this experiment is the only time I've run it.

danny9
Go Ahead, Make My Day
Premium Member
join:2002-07-14
Clinton Township, MI

danny9

Premium Member

I've stated this in a previous post here but I'm still not sure.
I ran a Chkdsk. Showed no errors and no slow downs in the early stages.
For 17.6Gbs, that includes 2 snapshots using BootBack, it took 1hr and 13 min. with 50 min. of that for stages 4 and 5.

From what I've read it should go alot faster.
Is the time it took semi normal or a possible problem?
Thanks.

Blue2
Premium Member
join:2004-04-14
France

1 recommendation

Blue2

Premium Member

said by danny9:

From what I've read it should go alot faster. Is the time it took semi normal or a possible problem?
Thanks.
And that in a nutshell is EXACTLY what the underlying problem is. How can we possibly know how widespread the issue is and what its effects are? I know it NEVER occurred to me that KAV could affect chkdsk until I read a few posts at the KAV forum. I then compared chkdsk on three drives where I had it installed and on two that I didn't. Though not conclusive, the differences surely made it highly probable.

There are just too many things that we don't know, and a few of the volunteers here have done considerable work to highlight what it might be and now it's up to Kaspersky to take the initiative.

Thus far I've seen no proof or assurance that it has no detrimental system effects, nor any official statement on the implementation of this technology. So new users may or may not end up creating problems that they don't need, particularly since there is no way to turn off the creation of ObjectIDs.

However, on principle alone, it just doesn't seem right to me that Kaspersky should be able to make system-wide changes that (a) the user is not informed of, and (b) can't be removed. What happens IF NOD32, Norton or one of the other vendors decides they would like to use a different approach to speed up their file checking? Does the user then end up with multiple sets of ObjectIDs, each from a different vendor? Is this so different than Microsoft embedding its browser into the operating system coding which resulted in anti-trust sanctions?

danny9
Go Ahead, Make My Day
Premium Member
join:2002-07-14
Clinton Township, MI

danny9

Premium Member

Well stated Blue2 and I have to agree.
Thanks, Dan
Corsy
join:2007-07-27
Netherlands

Corsy

(posted to the Kaspersky forum as well)

Just to chime in here, I've recently installed AOL's Active Virus Shield, which, apart from the issues mentioned here, appears to have meddled with the boot drive's security settings, causing all kinds of error messages about a corrupt C: drive, and corrupt/inaccessible files. Running CHKDSK at boot time would result in a stream of "Inserting an index entry into index $0 of file 4442" messages.
Fortunately, I was able to reset the security settings, which also appears to have cleared up that particular CHKDSK error.
However, on the boot drive (a 500GB PATA drive with about 160GB free), there's still a lag of over 20 (!) minutes before pass 2 starts! BTW, this may have initially led me to believe CHKDSK was hung, and pushing the reset button, which _may_ have caused the security errors...
Needless to say, I've uninstalled Active Virus Shield, and gone back to AVG.

Since my system (Windows 2000 SP4) isn't the most stable one, I have to hit the reset button every now and then, and like to run CHKDSK afterwards as a precaution. Obviously, this 20 minute lag is a major inconvenience! BTW, this same lag also exists when the system is booted using a BartPE XP rescue CD.

Fortunately, I still have my Linux system for email and web browsing, which was a big help in getting the Windows system up and running again...

Ellen