dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
slajoh01
join:2005-04-23

slajoh01

TLS or SSL setting in THunderbird Email Client??

Now, under Server settings I have an option to set to TLS or SSL.

WHich would give me better security? TLS or SSL??

Lanik
Lab-nik

join:2001-06-25
San Francisco, CA

Lanik

I usually use TLS if available see more here: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tr ··· Security
slajoh01

slajoh01

I read the link, but Im a bit rusty at networking.

So, is TLS actually is better than SSL?

Lanik
Lab-nik

San Francisco, CA

Lanik

Yes I'd say so based on that article.
slajoh01

slajoh01

So, when I set to TLS under the Server settings of Thunderbird, will all outgoing and incoming mail messages will be in a "secure tunneling" mode??

Lanik
Lab-nik

San Francisco, CA

Lanik

Yes only if the mail server supports TLS/SSL you'd have to check with your provider to find out for sure.

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

nwrickert to slajoh01

Mod

to slajoh01
WHich would give me better security? TLS or SSL??
The one that doesn't work

If it doesn't work then you won't have email, so will have no email security worries

Use whichever is supported by your server. The server will support one or the other, not both. The two are equally secure. The distinction is that with "TLS" there is a brief readable interaction before switching to encryption, while with "SSL" you jump straight into crypto.

For sending email, if you are told to use port 465, that will likely be SSL, while if you are told to use port 25 or port 587, then specify "TLS" (or "TLS if available" if you are not sure whether the server supports it).

For receiving POP3 email, if the port is 995, that is likely to be SSL. If the port is 110, specify "TLS" or "TLS if available". For IMAP, port 993 is likely to be SSL, and port 143 will use TLS if it uses encryption.