Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

BruceT

join:2001-11-28
Corpus Christi, TX

1 edit

Utorrent bought by MPAA

Sorry for almost duplicate post. I thought I posted the first topic in wrong place!

Is it no longer safe? I did a google and found news about UTorrent and MPAA What bit toreent client is everyone else using? Has anyone heard anything bad about UTorrent or the recent upgrade to 1.7.2?

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4

Stick to uTorrent 1.6

MmmPancakes

join:2007-05-29
L4J

4 edits
reply to BruceT

I think people just get paranoid because uTorrent is now being associated with the BitTorrent company.

See, if you never download illegal stuff with uT, which was not its programmed use anyways, then you won't have to worry. But apparently you do and you panic. Either live with it, downgrade to 1.6, switch to a different BT client, or don't download at all. Because you get the same type of risks as long as you BitTorrent.

If they catch you, the worst that can happen is they send you a threat letter full of lawyer lingo that you can kindly put in the paper shredder. Seriously, you probably have a better chance of winning the lottery than getting sued at this rate.

PS - You shouldn't read everything on the internet and believe it. A lot of these articles are misinformed about how since uT and BT joined forces that the program started sending data to unwanted places, which is baloney.

BruceT

join:2001-11-28
Corpus Christi, TX
reply to Alcohol

said by Alcohol:

Stick to uTorrent 1.6
Do I just uninstall 1.7.2 and then reinstall 1.6?

MmmPancakes

L4J

You can just download the 1.6 exe file and overwrite the 1.7 exe file.

Cozworth
Premium
join:2003-06-10
england

Is 1.61 the same or is 1.6 the last "safe" option.

Guess which one I am using

grandpinaple

join:2006-01-03
New York, NY

Okay I guess fuck utorrent. Back to azureus. I should have known things that aren't open source are not to be trusted.

Ancalagon

join:2007-06-16
Sarasota, FL
reply to BruceT

There's only a few private trackers that are banning it (BitmeTV I think is one of the more prominent ones), OiNK, Torrent-Damage, and others allow it. It's a big case of tin foil hatting, it doesn't report your data to the MPAA, you won't get sued, it's not selling out your IP.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to BruceT

Is there a client patch that can change the client info sent to the tracker? I really love the speeds i get with utorrent.
--
You can never be too rich, too thin or have too much Bandwidth

The Flash
Go Leafs Go
Premium
join:2002-10-17
Toronto, ON
kudos:1
reply to BruceT

This is pretty old news

said by grandpinaple:

Okay I guess fuck utorrent. Back to azureus. I should have known things that aren't open source are not to be trusted.
Linux?
--
Test your Speed
»www.speakeasy.net/speedtest
»speedtest.cogeco.net/

Ancalagon

Sarasota, FL
reply to dvd536

...dvd536, you realize all clients report what they are and the version #?

grandpinaple

join:2006-01-03
New York, NY
reply to The Flash

Nah I use Windows. It was more of a kneejerk comment, but at the same time it is kinda true in the sense that at least with open source no code can hide itself.

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Midland, ON
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

1 edit
reply to BruceT

Bitcomet needs to make a come back. I never got why some sites banned it. Far as I know most sites banned it cause of the DHT network but hell utorrent has it too so WTF was the point? It seemed more to me one of the big sites banned it so the little ones followed suit cause the big bad cool site banned it.

Azureus I hate it's takes way to much ram. Also with azureus I have a hard time surfing while running torrents with utorrent and bitcomet I never have that issue.

I think utorrent will still be safe but being as you can run it without a install it's prefect for movie downloads you click a file and boom the program loads up and your torrent starts.

Also how does this bit torrent paying shit work? Do you download a DRM movie or whatever file and use your own bandwidth to give it to other people?

theyipper

join:2001-01-18
Oakland, CA

Bitcomet was banned for not allowing private flag (always sharing with public which private trackers do not like).

Ancalagon

Sarasota, FL
reply to BruceT

Exactly, Bitcomet ignored the private flag and allowed the DHT network on private torrents. It did a bunch of other stuff too but I can't remember now.

Omega
Displaced Ohioan
Premium
join:2002-07-30
Denver, CO
reply to Alcohol

said by Alcohol:

Stick to uTorrent 1.6
That is what I am doing. As long as bitmetv does not ban utorrent v1.6 I will still keep on using it.

shearer
Northern Lights
Premium
join:2002-06-18
Asia
reply to dvd536

said by dvd536:

Is there a client patch that can change the client info sent to the tracker? I really love the speeds i get with utorrent.
If you're wiling to go through the extra trouble, get Privoxy. It's a free HTTP proxy software and can change the http headers sent to the tracker.

hihi9

join:2007-05-06
Port Orange, FL
reply to Ancalagon

are u saying that if someone upload a private torrent to a site such as mininova.org
meganova.org
bitenova.dl torrentportal.com datorrents.com etc
someone who is not a member can leech off from it freely
as if it's a public torrent
now that's funny

hihi9

Port Orange, FL

people do not use utorrent anymore
it's evil the creator is mpaa,riaa
they did it so they would know who exactly is your ip
very clever, they have hackers working with them
i'm not surprised by this news
i knew it all along, ur had it coming u u utorrent braggers
go back to using bitcomet, azureus or bittornado
those are the best and will remain the best

serious problems with utorrent..
when rehash from an incomplete from bitcomet or bittornado
the percent download drop in half! wtf???
then when i rehash again with bitcomet or bittornado
it remain that way
ex i download at 50percent..with bitcomet,bittornado
rehashing again with utorrent
drop to 25 percent...it's evil and not flexible designed to frustrat u has hidden flaws bad bad bad client, i rarely use and today will not be using it at all.
this happens with any torrent as i have experienced

TOPDAWG
Premium
Midland, ON

1 edit

What you say? utorrent send us a bomb?

TOPDAWG
Premium
Midland, ON
reply to hihi9

You can do that with utorrent to fact is I've done it before.

hihi9

Port Orange, FL
reply to TOPDAWG

let me explain that again..
if ur just using utorrent exclusively u will have clue of what i am talking about
if u use utorrent,azur,bittornado,bitcomet
u will find that utorrent is incompatible with other client when resuming an incomplete file
so in order to use utorrent, u have to download from scratch
otherwise it will mess up your incomplete file
azur has a feature that if it's bitcomet incomplete file it will fix a few bytes so you get the full percentage
with bittornado you lose a few percentage but not a big deal
ex. at 80% incomplete from bitcomet going to bittornado, it will drop to 78%

i'm sorry if this is too complicated for you but i have explain it as best i can.

MmmPancakes

L4J

Umm, so who exactly uses 4 different BT clients anyways?

Of course you're going to get some rollbacks if you download the file from Client A and then hashcheck it on Client B. The most I've ever experienced with uTorrent is that it rolls my 100% completed file to 99.7%. Wow.

hihi9

Port Orange, FL

i'm not talking about 100 percent file thought so dunno what i'm talking about. try something less then 100 percent.
btw i did not use 4 different client, only 3 and that's probably already too complicated for most ppl
i think u use utorrent exclusive thats why u have no ideas what i'm talking about. i've used many other clients as well ya know but they just keep perishing like torrentstorm, abc etc.. so many experiments not one client is perfect. why so many client you say? well i like flexibility, and because each client has its weakness and strength.

sikk
Yawn
Premium
join:2002-05-29
reply to hihi9

said by hihi9:

people do not use utorrent anymore
it's evil the creator is mpaa,riaa
they did it so they would know who exactly is your ip
very clever, they have hackers working with them
i'm not surprised by this news
i knew it all along, ur had it coming u u utorrent braggers
go back to using bitcomet, azureus or bittornado
those are the best and will remain the best
LAWL @ this post.

From the link, I got that the µTorrent's parent company "cooperated" with the MPAA by removing certain links from their website. I don't see anywhere where it is said that the MPAA now owns µTorrent or BitTorrent Inc.