Vendor ID Code: 4
Line Mode: G.DMT Mode
Data Path: Interleaved
Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 1792 448
Margin (dB) 16.0 20.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 55.0 31.5
Transmit Power (dBm) 16.0 11.8

just had the noise fixed to and it still drops out.

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

nwrickert

Mod

You might be having problems of occasional bursts of noise. The line is currently looking okay with the 16db margin, but when there is a noise burst that will drop and you risk losing sync. The transmit power of 16 suggests a possibly noisy line.

If you are able to test at the NID, and compare statistics, that will give you an indication as to whether the problem is in the house wiring or elsewhere.
ynggrsshppr
join:2007-03-22
New York, NY

ynggrsshppr to broncosfan

to broncosfan
Will, if you live near a place that sells ADSL modems I highly suggest going there and getting a new one. Make sure they have a good return policy just in case things don't pan out.

I was using the Westell 327W (D90 USA assembled version) and it dropped out all the time. This was also my second gateway, the first one was even worse since it wouldn't sync at the right speeds. On average there were about 4/5 disconnects per hour. The problem was much less severe during the early mornings. I couldn't stand it so I went out and bought a Zoom X5 at Staples just to isolate the problem. I had line stats just like yours Will except I have the 3/768 speed package. I replaced the Westell with the new one and it fixed the problem.

Verizon told me that my line couldn't handle 3/768 but the problem turned out to be the junk equipment they are sending out. The Westell 327W just doesn't seem to handle weak/poor line conditions very well. I hope this helps someone.
broncosfan
join:2007-07-07
Jonesville, VA

broncosfan to nwrickert

to nwrickert
The line is clear in and at the nid I have tested and they are the same.
broncosfan

broncosfan to ynggrsshppr

to ynggrsshppr
I don't really live near a place that does it would be best for me to get one on line what is the best place and what to I need to get?
ynggrsshppr
join:2007-03-22
New York, NY

ynggrsshppr

If you don't have a place that sells these things nearby see if you can get Verizon to swap the 327W for something else. Right now they're also using the Westell 6100. I have requested one, if it works then I simply return the modem I bought to the store, if the 6100 doesn't work then I keep it.

You can buy online, Amazon sells them for ~50 for the Zoom models. I didn't buy it online even though it is cheaper because getting a refund is a hassle. It is up to you, but like I said, make sure wherever you buy it from has a good return policy.
broncosfan
Jonesville, VA

broncosfan

OK but I don't know if a 6100 will god for or need I need wireless also I really don't want to call verizon I went through hell tying to get them to come and fix the noise on the line I'm fixing to have sugary so it will be a little bit for I can do anything.
broncosfan

3 edits

broncosfan

Half the time it wont even sync up at the right speed I have read servile Verizon members are using Netopia and had great success with it I have had this problem for a bout 2 years and they don't seem to want to do anything the is the worst its has ever been.
I live in a rule area so maybe thats why idk should be able to get good service where ever u live.

nwrickert
Mod
Geneva, IL

nwrickert

Mod

Half the time it wont even sync up at the right speed
Synching at a lower speed is a sure indicator of line problems.

You need to do one of the following:
(a) Have the line problems corrected (if possible);
(b) Have your line set to a low enough speed as will allow reliable service;
(c) Switch to a cable, wireless or satellite ISP.

Changing to a different modem is unlikely to solve your problem. Westell modems already have a reputation of doing pretty well in the presence of line problems. The main reason I am using a Westell 2200, is because it does better on my line than did my older Efficient 5861.

The AT&T version of the Speedstream 4100 might be among the best for handling problematic lines. You could try one -- maybe purchase at eBay, or you can probably order from Best Buy though they probably won't have them on the shelves in Verizon regions. But I suspect it won't solve your problems.
broncosfan
Jonesville, VA

2 edits

broncosfan

The line has ben fixed I can get comcast but I will never go back to them becaus of the way they treated use before! What do mean set the line to a low speed? I am staying with verizon to get fios.
When it stays like this I don't have may drops outs some times it will work just fine and other times it drops all the time.

Transceiver Revision: 4.2.0.11
Margin (dB) 16.0 19.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 55.5 31.5
Transmit Power (dBm) 16.5 11.9

The only best buy near me is about a hour and a half away in tn and I believe their in att area.

nwrickert
Mod
Geneva, IL

nwrickert

Mod

What do mean set the line to a low speed?
Verizon can set the maximum speed to be attempted. The line will be more reliable at lower speeds (less likely to disconnect).
I am staying with verizon to get fios.
If I were in a Verizon area, that would be a consideration for me, too.

For comparison, here are my statistics:
Transceiver Revision: 7.1.254
Line Mode: G.DMT-Mode
Data Path: Fast
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 1536 384
Margin (db) 13.5 12.0
Line Attenuation (db) 57.5 18.5
Transmit Power (db/Hz) 8.0 7.0

If that Best Buy is in AT&T territory, it is probably part of what was BellSouth. I'm not sure they have yet switched to the Efficient Speedstream modems. I suggest you call the store before you drive there, to make sure whether the item is in stock. It is packaged as the AT&T DSL self-install kit, but also listed under DSL modems and Speedstream 4100 in their online catalog.
broncosfan
Jonesville, VA

1 edit

broncosfan

What about one of the 3000 series ebay has a few I'm noob when it come to networking. I'm curious nwrickert what is att service and tech support like?

We just had the noise fixed we have 2 different lines the noise (hum) on the main line the hum has come back but the 2nd line (dsl line) is clear as it can be the main line hums at the nid also the dsl line is clear in and at the nid the guy that fixed it said their was a slight hum still but did northing abut it could that be part of the prob?

nwrickert
Mod
Geneva, IL

nwrickert

Mod

I'm not familiar with the 3000 series.

I have been reasonably satisfied with AT&T service and support. But there are some unhappy customers.

A slight hum should not be a concern. occasional bursts of static can be a problem.
broncosfan
Jonesville, VA

broncosfan

Transceiver Revision: 4.2.0.11
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 1792 352
Margin (dB) 11.0 6.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 56.0 31.5
Transmit Power (dBm) 17.5 11.9

after 8 reconnects. A bad modem is about the only think I can think of I've been told that by may people I've baffled really.

nwrickert
Mod
Geneva, IL

nwrickert

Mod

Your upstream numbers are changing. That's a bit unusual. Upstream uses part of the spectrum less susceptible to most line problems.

The only way to be sure if it is a bad modem, is to try a different modem. The inexpensive way to do that is to borrow a modem from a friend - or temporarily swap modems with a friend, and see the effect of different modems.
broncosfan
Jonesville, VA

1 edit

broncosfan

None of my friends have dsl most cant even get it and I am the only on on my rode the has it. I have a ationtec that I bought from them because they said that would fix but the internet light want come on the dsl light is solid and I cant get in to it using 192.168.1.1 I have had this prob with both of em ended up reformatting my pc last time that happed it wanted to act like a dile up asking for user name and pass and, the westell also does that deal where the internet turns red after it drops out 3 time in a row I told them that and they told me to chage the account id well well that dident work.

I did a hand reset on that ationtec since then I cant get back into it I have done a few resets on the westell with no prob. at times the ationtec worked better and only dropped in the morning.

Trying to give all the info I can and mayby I can get it fixed one of these days.

When I first trued it on today the up stream was low took about ten reboots to sync up right and to atay one line for more than 30 sec, I alway turn my router on before my pc. Over 18 reconnects today.
broncosfan

2 edits

broncosfan

I just set my older pc to connect mainly like a dile up with the actiontec and got one line just fine but the internet light wasent on and still cant get into it and I have know idea how to fix it. I think it might work better if I can get it to connect right.

I may try a zoomx6 from best buy that way I can take it back if it don't work out. To bad office depot do sell them I can get discount their my future employer who is a friend does a lot of business their:)

I'm getting pretty agitated with this westell
broncosfan

1 edit

broncosfan

Just called voice repair and they did fine a prob with the main line now when their be here idk their suppose to call me back with in 3 days because I am have sugary next week and dr appointments all week

Stats at the moment

Margin (dB) 15.0 20.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 55.0 31.5
Transmit Power (dBm) 16.6 11.8

I believe I am getting a burst of noise like u said I normally don't talk on my 2nd line but I called them on it and got a couple burst of static may have been because I was out saide but maybe I will get it fixed one of these days.