how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ValleyDN

join:2005-07-12
Newburgh, NY

[TIME WARNER] Signal Issue, Picture Freeze, Pixelation, etc .. H

After reading the FAQ in the Road Runner section I hope I am posting correctly here.

I am really frustrated and I am not sure what to do.

I share a residence with my father. I have a DVR on my floor and he has a regular digital box on his floor.

I notice he gets the occasional pixelation but for some reason, especially on the Fox News Channel, he was getting REALLY bad picture freezing. At first I thought it was the Bill O'Reilly broadcast as it happened a lot during that show.

Very nice men came from TWC today, said the signal was fine, replaced splitters (my father's dig box also shares a line that goes to my cable modem and a TV w/no cable box in my office) and they even exchanged his cable box. They tested the new box and something was less of a minus which they said was actually better.

Tonight the same thing happened. It wasn't as dramatic in the past but there was some freezing. THEN he turned to the game on YES and WOW ... mega pic freeze!

Does anyone else have this with TWC? Should this be expected? All I know is I don't get ANY of these bad issues on my DVR (which comes in on it's own line).

Any help would be most appreciative. Here I am thinking I did a nice thing for my dad by getting him digital with more channels and all there is are freezing channels.

aparis99

join:2006-10-24
Owensboro, KY

Re: [TIME WARNER] Signal Issue, Picture Freeze, Pixelation, etc

could be a few things... if they said the signal was fine (and they checked the digital haystack etc) then it could be a couple things...

-Hum levels high - amp issue
-AGC issue
-Bit Error rate

somethin a maintenance or experienced tech needs to check on...

the best way is to have someone out there while it IS messing up and have a meter hooked up simultaneously to check the mentioned areas...

ValleyDN

Newburgh, NY
Thank you very much Aparis99 for your help and suggestions. I hope they won't be offended when I "share" your suggestions but hey ... if they didn't do what you suggested then they should! Thanks again!

aparis99

Owensboro, KY
reply to ValleyDN
give us an update when u find the problem

ValleyDN

Newburgh, NY
Thank you aparis 99. This has to be the best forum community in the web. I always get a fix to my problems/issues and I learn a great deal. AND people like you care if issues are resolved or not.

I am "taking down notes" for the next few days on the problem and then I am going to get back to them if it continues (and give them your suggestions). KNOCK ON WOOD it hasn't happened again since my initial post. I saw some little pixels just a few minutes ago on my dad's TV but I also see that on mine from time to time and I guess that is expected with digital service? We haven't seen any more of the BLATANT and SHOCKING freeze and I hope we don't.

Whatever they did with the splitters did something nice to my cable modem as I have had a continual connection for more than 13 hours. I could tell my how long it says I have been on line by my Trillian program. I could see if it lasted longer but I don't run my computer when I am sleeping. Before they came I would lose connectivity after an hour or so.

Now, is there anyway they could have boosted the signal coming to our house without me knowing it (for example, without putting an amplifier on our pole?).

I will keep you posted and thank you kindly.

aparis99

Owensboro, KY
reply to ValleyDN
it really could have been a number of things. they didnt add any equipment such as amps, but if neighbors had the same issue they could have came out and adjusted or switched things to fix their problem which fixed ur issue also.

If an amp had an AGC issue and they checked it out for another customer, of course that'd fix your problem too.

ValleyDN

Newburgh, NY
Hello Aparis 99,

Thank you again for the wonderful suggestions.

The picture froze again. However, this time I was recording on my DVR the same program my dad was watching. The freeze happened on both. I am assuming then it is a signal issue and not a wiring issue with the house as it happened for us both?

Generally, since their work, things are better but not perfect. I sent them an email today with all of your suggestions.

Maybe I should relegate to the fact that this is just the nature of digital TV? Do you get a lot of freezing, pixelation, etc?

Again, thank you!