Search similar:

uniqs

mainlands
join:2005-03-23
Marietta, GA

mainlands

mobile home duct work leak repair

Hello,

I live in a mobile home that is fairly low to the ground, all the sides on the bottom are covered with skirting for the most part. I have detected that some of the duct work for the AC is leaking, as I can feel the cool air underneath the trailer. What would be the best spot repair for duct work that may have leaks? I was thinking gorilla duct tape or perhaps and/or a spray adhesive. Thanks in advance for any replies.

SandShark5
Long may you run
Premium Member
join:2000-05-23
Santa Fe, TX

SandShark5

Premium Member

Flexible mobile home duct has three layers, an outside layer (vapor barrier) made of heavy duty polyethylene, a middle layer (fiberglass insulation)), and the inner layer (wired helix plastic tubing). If you're feeling air, all three layers have been damaged, either from ripping due to age or from critters. Either way, you'll need to repair the inner layer to keep air from escaping and then try repairing the other two layers. Duct tape should do the trick, but that depends on how damaged it is and if the tape will stick or not. You may need to replace it. It could be, too, that the duct has come loose from the supply plenum or from the floor registers.
omnitachyon
join:2003-10-26
Decatur, AL

omnitachyon

Think I'm in the same situation.

1986 mobile home, AC installed in 1991.

The AC has something like that flexible duct, told of by SandShark, connecting to the typical rigid kind under the floors. So maybe it's that other type of ducting leaking at connections?

Until I got a RatZapper to solve a rodent infestation I was dealing with mice (and whatever else) chewing and scampering throughout the ductwork. I never actually heard any in the AC part but they definitely scratched or chewed at a couple of the floor registers (or under them).

So I don't know if they've opened big or small holes everywhere or just one place, but I do get unusually cold air in the crawlspace. I added a bubble-wrap type of radiant barrier sandwiched between old and new skirting so that's helped, I believe.

Something will probably need to be done to the ducting. I was going to get under there with foil tape but it's a tight squeeze at one end where I think most of the chewing took place. Will more likely need someone with equipment to look for holes or replace the whole thing.

I've been procrastinating fixing it mainly because I wanted to be sure to rid the place of that rodent infestation first.

Will watch this message thread for any helpful hints, so thanks for starting it.

Splitpair
Premium Member
join:2000-07-29
Cow Towne

Splitpair to mainlands

Premium Member

to mainlands
said by mainlands:

Hello,
I have detected that some of the duct work for the AC is leaking, as I can feel the cool air underneath the trailer.
Before you get in too deep make sure it is actually from the A/C not leaking thru the insulation between the floor and the material on underside that supports the insulation.

Animals love to get up there and nest causing the support to fail dropping the insulation and then you get cold drafts under the unit..
What would be the best spot repair for duct work that may have leaks? I was thinking gorilla duct tape or perhaps and/or a spray adhesive. Thanks in advance for any replies.
Good duct tape will work just fine just remember to tape the flexible inner duct to the feed/return ducts as needed then pull up the insulation like a sock followed by the outer duct finally taping the outer duct in place.

Wayne