All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Klutzon
@kenyaschoolnet.or.ke

Klutzon

Anon

Can someone help me with some technical info on ADSL mgmt?

Hi guys,

I'm new here, a friend of mine from my resident forum Rage3D told me to come here to look for answers to a thread of mine that I posted asking for some help in looking for technical information. He said there'd be a few people here who could help me out, and so I'm here, thirsty for knowledge. I'm hoping that I will be able to find some good info here, and perhaps learn something new.

I'd like some information about ADSL management, seeing as I have to complete a paper and present a project on Saturday about the subject. I've got the basics: what ADSL is (and a little history), I've got the Networking Management Systems info (seeing as that's commonly how an ISP manages their connections), and I've got a little details as to how Telkom Kenya, one of only two ISPs in Kenya that offer ADSL, works, including their ADSL info.

However, I'm after more technical information, some of which the head of IT in the ADSL department was reluctant to share on account of it being "sensitive information", which is totally understandable. So is there anyone here who can help me answer these questions? It would be a giNORmous help.

1) What system does the ISP use (to track and manage the ADSL services?) Telkom Kenya, for example, uses an open NMS.
2) How does the system track individual usage?
3) How does the system track individual bandwidth limits?
4) What information is accessible from the ISP side (in terms of real-time)?
5) How many ADSL users can an ISP handle (in general)?
6) How many servers are required to handle ADSL?
7) How many people (staff) are required to manage ADSL from the ISP's side?

Any and all info MASSIVELY appreciated!

Thanks in advance guys!

Klutzon
NetTech2
join:2004-04-14
Mount Olive, AL

NetTech2

These questions you are asking are proprietary in nature to any ISP, (as in trade secrets) and I doubt you'll get anything specific in nature from any ISP IT dept (or the Tier 2 or 3 group)heads. Each ISP has their own way of doing 'business' in the real world. Not trying to discourage you on your quest, but lets be realistic. You won't be getting answers to these types of questions from a 'public 'open' forum'. Your best bet is to get with your college library and research on the general infrastructure of Regional ADSL networks and Global connectivity.
NetTech2

Klutzon
@kenyaschoolnet.or.ke

Klutzon

Anon

Thanks for the reply NetTech2.

I did realize when I asked these questions that this is probably really sensitive information, and I think I can come up with answers for the super-sensitive info. I was just hoping I could get a rough idea of the answers, seeing as we've got loads of ISPs all over the planet that offer ADSL, and surely there'd be like an average number of ADSL users an ISP can handle, or average number of servers required, or average number of staff... I was hoping for averages.

But if that info's not attainable, then I suppose I'll have to make do in my paper without it...

Thanks for the assist anyway.

Splitpair
Premium Member
join:2000-07-29
Cow Towne

1 recommendation

Splitpair

Premium Member

Do a search of Alcatel, Cisco, Telcordia, Copper Edge, that ought to get you something to start with.

Check the library/Amazon for Implementing ADSL by David Ginsburg. The book centers areound Cisco the author being a former engineer with Csico and now with Nortel but is generic enough to apply to any ISP.

If I think of something else I will post it later but the above ought to keep you busy for a few hours.

Wayne
RJ44
join:2001-10-19
Nashville, TN

RJ44 to Klutzon

to Klutzon
said by Klutzon :

I was just hoping I could get a rough idea of the answers, seeing as we've got loads of ISPs all over the planet that offer ADSL, and surely there'd be like an average number of ADSL users an ISP can handle, or average number of servers required, or average number of staff... I was hoping for averages.

You could probably average it yourself, but those answers are completely dependent on the size of the ISP. AT&T has more servers than Mom 'N Pop's Internet, which has 25 customers and 1 laptop to run them. An ISP can handle as many customers as their network can handle. And their network size is going to depend on how many customers they have.

Sorry, there's just not a short answer to those questions.