uniqs
« Shadows - From 36,000 Feet.Artify #547 »
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 ... 21 · 22 · 23 · 24 · 25 · 26 · next
49528867 (banned)
join:2010-04-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

49528867 (banned) to Gemologist

to Gemologist

Re: The One, The Only...Box Shot Thread! (part three)

said by Gemologist:

That bites! I forgot about them not having the in-body motor, stupid on Nikon's part really.

Actually it's more like accepting the reality of the advancements in technology and giving up on the mechanical cranking of the elements, sort of like automobiles that gave up on being cranked to be started once the electric starter motor was invented.

Wayne

Dream Killer
Graveyard Shift
Premium Member
join:2002-08-09
Forest Hills, NY

Dream Killer to Action_Man

Premium Member

to Action_Man
said by Action_Man:

I`m disappointed that all my lenses are incompatible, they only work in manual focus, most of my auto-focus lenses are G or D type, and only AF-S, AF-I will work properly, my fault for not investigating this.

can i have them? my nikon can use them

Action_Man
Currently Appearing As
Premium Member
join:2003-07-22
England

1 recommendation

Action_Man

Premium Member

If you can collect in person, then yes you can have them ...
49528867 (banned)
Fort Lauderdale, FL

1 edit

49528867 (banned) to tmpchaos

to tmpchaos

Running Around Tapeless. ;-)

Click for full size
Canon EOS-1D Mark II
37mm 1/200th F5 ISO1000

Picked up a JVC/Focus Enhancements DR-HD100 direct to edit digital video recorder for my JVC GY-HD200. It’s a nice little unit weighing in at only a pound which when connected to the camcorder through the Firewire port is provided with video audio and bi-lateral control of the DVR from the camcorder and allows the DVR to display its status in the camcorders viewfinder, with it’s 100 gig drive it provides 800 minutes of record time in HD.

Canon EOS-1D Mark II
40mm 1/200th F5 ISO1000

Canon EOS-1D Mark II
54mm 1/200th F5 ISO1000

A really cool feature is the DTE is it records HD in M2t which allows the clips to be dropped directly onto the timeline of the editor eliminating the lost time involved in capturing from DVC/tape or transcoding from another format. Another nice feature is the unit runs on 12/15 volts DC allowing it to be powered from the cameras 14 volt battery tap.

The only flaky part of the package was the plastic carrying case for the unit didn’t really lock the DVR tightly into place which if bumped hard could cause the unit to become unmoored from the camera, I chucked the case and fastened the unit to the battery pack with a couple strips of heavy duty 3M hook and loop fastener tape.

Canon EOS-1D Mark II
24mm 1/200th F5 ISO1000

Per an IM request.
Left to right, the first device is the HD-100 DVR, it is attached to the rear of a Anton Bauer HyTron 140 watt hour NiMH battery which is latched to the Anton Bauer Gold mount on the rear of the camcorder, attached to the side of the battery is a “red frequency” UHF wireless diversity receiver wired through a mini XLR to angle XLR cable to the camcorders “B” audio port which is mapped to the right audio channel, the wireless can be utilized with any wireless transmitter or microphone which is also marked as red, the center portion is the actual camcorder body with it’s attached color viewfinder and Fujinon zoom lens with a 16:9 hood, clamped into the microphone holder is an midrange Azden shotgun microphone wired through a angle XLR to angle XLR to the camcorders “A” audio port which is mapped to the left audio channel, the shotgun can be used for an interview in a pinch but it’s primary purpose is to provide ambiance, finally on the top of the carrying handle is an Anton Bauer 70 watt Ultra-Light to which is mounted two flip over filters one a wide angle diffusion filter for tight shots and the other a dichroic daylight filter which can be flipped underneath the wide filter to allow the light to be used a corrected daylight fill light, the Ultra Light pulls it’s power from a power tap connector the top of the Gold mount, internally the power to the power tap is controlled by the record button which switches the light on and off based on the status of the camcorder be it standby or recording, this eliminates fumbling for the power switch on the light when going into record.

Make sense.

The entire package weight about 18 pounds but the weight is really not a problem as the shoulder pad can be shifted fore and aft allowing the unit to be balanced on ones shoulder taking all of the strain of balancing the unit off of the arms.

Wayne

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium Member
join:2003-08-13
Fort Worth, TX

McSummation

Premium Member

That's quite a stack of equipment you have there.

Thanks for telling what all you carry on your shoulder.

Dream Killer
Graveyard Shift
Premium Member
join:2002-08-09
Forest Hills, NY

Dream Killer to tmpchaos

Premium Member

to tmpchaos

Re: The One, The Only...Box Shot Thread! (part three)

Click for full size
NIKON D700
24mm 1/80th -0.3ev F4.5 ISO800

Andre
just got an sb-700. am i moving too fast?

disconnected
@snet.net

disconnected to tmpchaos

Anon

to tmpchaos
Click for full size
NIKON D7000
50mm 1/8th F4.8 ISO400

Nikon D-7000 Kit w/ 18-200mm VRII Lens
Click for full size
JPEG vs RAW
Click for full size
Super Moon @ 200mm cropped
Click for full size
NIKON D7000
18mm 15s F3.5 ISO100

Night into Day with Stars
My wife's new camera, the Nikon D-7000..

Costco had a good deal, and our Olympus E300 was long in the tooth.

So far, quite impressed with this inexpensive Nikon. I was going to hold out for something in a Canon 1D MkII class, but am delighted with the clarity, low noise and the long zoom range of the lens included with this kit. For a lens with compromises to achieve the 11X ratio, it's pretty darned good. The things it can't do can be fixed in Adobe RAW lens correction.

As of this writing, the D-7000 is pretty much the sweet spot for bang for the buck. Costco had this on sale last week for $1799 with this $799 lens. The stock lens normally sold is a 18-105mm. The 18-200mm made this kit attractive, as I hate to change lenses in the field and miss action, risk dirt getting into the sensor, etc.

It shoots movies too, with the accuity of about 720P in a 1080P file format. Not bad, especially for quickies and if you insist on throwing the background out of focus.

I've shot some time exposed night scenes with the built in intervalometer and it works well. The sky is blue and the stars are bright, and I can push it to look like noon day sun in RAW without posterizing or objectionable noise. 14-bit RAW is a serious contender.

For Adobe CS3 users, you will need to download their free DNG Converter, as none but the latest CS5 with a patch can read NEFs from this model. Forget the utility that comes with the D-7000. It's glacially slow. Adobe's utility can batch convert 50 images by the time Nikon's software converts just one. Then you can import them into RAW and tweak to your heart's content. I'm amazed at how far you can push exposure on the RAW images from the D-7000.

It's only been 2 days, so there's a lot to discover, but so far, I'm quite surpised by this little camera. We're thinking about the SB900 Speed Flash as an important option for this camera. The built in flash is okay, but can't do bounce and the longer lens shadows the flash.

It's a magnesium alloy body, so the weight is light and even the wife does't complain. She's finally happy to have a camera that can take pictures as rapidly as she can compose them.

AzzKicker
Premium Member
join:2001-02-04
Edinburg, TX

3 recommendations

AzzKicker to tmpchaos

Premium Member

to tmpchaos
Click for full size
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
100mm 1/100th +0.3ev F2.8 ISO2500

IN LOVE with this lens.
49528867 (banned)
Fort Lauderdale, FL

49528867 (banned)

said by AzzKicker:

IN LOVE with this lens.

That is one amazing lens, did this test shot using one.

»/showp ··· 0685&1=1

Wayne

brian
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mission Viejo, CA

1 recommendation

brian to tmpchaos

Premium Member

to tmpchaos
Picked up a new (to me) body and lens this afternoon. The wife has decided that she wants to use our other DSLR (XTi/400D) more so we went shopping for a used camera. Came home with a 30D and a lens.

Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XTi
125mm 1/25th F8 ISO1600

30D & EF 28-80

It's in great condition and looks like it was barely used. I would have liked to gone with something newer, but it wasn't in the budget. The body will likely be my camera and she'll get the XTi. It's a small downgrade in some respects (less pixels, but that's ok) but the other features outweigh that. Feels better in my large hands than the XTi does.

The lens will be hers since we also already have a 28-135 that I use as my normal walk around.

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
ARRIS DG1670

3 recommendations

pcdebb to tmpchaos

Premium Member

to tmpchaos
Click for full size
SAMSUNG SPH-D700
3.5mm 1/8th F2.6 ISO200

gettin her charged up
lenses are next
pcdebb

pcdebb to tmpchaos

Premium Member

to tmpchaos
Click for full size
NIKON D3100
30mm 1/60th F4.5 ISO450

flash w/cord and ext tube
Click for full size
NIKON D3100
24mm 1/60th F4 ISO560

bag and monopod
I was hoping to grab some prime glass at my photo store, but was surprised to find they had absolutely no nikon glass in the store. they stated it was starting to pick up, but then the japan thing happened. gonna drive to ritz in a neighboring county and find one. I'm still happy

Exit

join:2001-04-10
Canada

Exit

said by pcdebb:

I was hoping to grab some prime glass at my photo store, but was surprised to find they had absolutely no nikon glass in the store. they stated it was starting to pick up, but then the japan thing happened. gonna drive to ritz in a neighboring county and find one. I'm still happy

What's the mono pod for? The reason I ask is many people buy mono pods, but don't really need them.

That's a sweet camera you got. Played around with it a little last week

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL

pcdebb to tmpchaos

Premium Member

to tmpchaos
I need it for help with a steady hand . It was on sale for cheap too

disconnected
@snet.net

disconnected to tmpchaos

Anon

to tmpchaos
Click for full size
NIKON D7000
46mm 1/250th F4.5 ISO100

Nikon SB700 Speedlight
Just got the SB700 flash for my Nikon D7000. Wow, great improvement over five years ago! Power it on, it's ready without any waiting for capacitors to charge up. Bright as heck, and can keep up with my camera shooting in Continuous mode. Comes with diffusor, and several colored filters to match various light sources.
So far, very pleased with this flash unit.

Straphanger
Express is Back
Mod
join:2001-12-08
Whitestone, NY

Straphanger to tmpchaos

Mod

to tmpchaos
Click for full size
Canon EOS REBEL T2i
33mm 1/25th +0.6ev F6.3 ISO400

At $199, it's hard not to buy this to add to the arsenal. Joins the 50mm and 17-85mm lenses to round out my amateur set.

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA

drew

Premium Member

The "Nifty Two-Fifty" is a beast. No, it's not the fastest. No, it's not the sharpest, but the quality per dollar is fantastic.

Congrats on your purchase!

DeathK
Premium Member
join:2002-06-16
Cincinnati, OH

DeathK to tmpchaos

Premium Member

to tmpchaos

NIKON D7000
32mm 1/60th F4.5 ISO100

Click for full size
NIKON D7000
38mm 1/60th F4.8 ISO100

New vs Old
New 50 f/1.8G

Straphanger
Express is Back
Mod
Whitestone, NY

Straphanger

Mod

Click for full size
Canon EOS REBEL T2i
41mm 1/13th +0.3ev F5.6 ISO800

For my "nifty two-fifty"

Not used to dealing with lens hoods on a non-USM lens. Going to take a bit more care when using this rather than a quick twist-on and twist-off.

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
Port Orchard, WA

drew

Premium Member

The day after they have a press release on the Mark II

Straphanger
Express is Back
Mod
Whitestone, NY

Straphanger

Mod

D'oh...didn't realize that till just now. Well fortunately, it looks like a very minor update (looks as minor as the 18-55 IS II refresh) so I won't be missing out on much with the Mark I. At least now I know why Canon had the $50 rebate out this month!

Gemologist
Premium Member
join:2001-11-15
USA

Gemologist to Straphanger

Premium Member

to Straphanger
FYI, for lens hoods you can save a nice chunk of change using a third party vendor and not get ripped by the OEMs.
»cgi.ebay.com/Lens-Hood-C ··· ab36cfee

Not sure of the quality of the above one, but I know these are decent, where I always got mine. Never understood why Canon never includes them. :/
»www.meritline.com/lens-h ··· 306.aspx

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
Port Orchard, WA

drew

Premium Member

said by Gemologist:

Never understood why Canon never includes them. :/

They see a cost savings. How many people will buy a T2i kit from Costco and never, ever use the hood?

Straphanger
Express is Back
Mod
Whitestone, NY

Straphanger to Gemologist

Mod

to Gemologist
I had an eBay gift certificate so I didn't pay very much out of pocket for it.

I have been somewhat wary on the generic lens hoods because I've read of some quality issues and some that lack the ability to be mounted in reverse for storage.

brian
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mission Viejo, CA

brian to Gemologist

Premium Member

to Gemologist
said by Gemologist:

FYI, for lens hoods you can save a nice chunk of change using a third party vendor and not get ripped by the OEMs.
»cgi.ebay.com/Lens-Hood-C ··· ab36cfee

Not sure of the quality of the above one, but I know these are decent, where I always got mine. Never understood why Canon never includes them. :/
»www.meritline.com/lens-h ··· 306.aspx

You could always just print your own lens hood too: »www.lenshoods.co.uk/
49528867 (banned)
Fort Lauderdale, FL

49528867 (banned) to Straphanger

to Straphanger
said by Straphanger:

I have been somewhat wary on the generic lens hoods because I've read of some quality issues and some that lack the ability to be mounted in reverse for storage.

One problem I ran into with a generic hood was it lacked flocking on the inside making the inner surface of the hood reflective which causes flare when used in bright light defeating one of the primary purposes of using a hood.

Sometimes you can actually see the lack of flocking by the reflection on the inside of the hood in the product photos.

As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for.

Wayne

Straphanger
Express is Back
Mod
Whitestone, NY

Straphanger

Mod

Actually I did notice a slight difference between the interior of the ET-60 hood and the EW-73B hood I have for my 17-85 lens.

The inside of the EW-73B has this felt like material while the ET-60 just feels like matte plastic (you can see the mini grooves and ridges in the light). Is this a typical variation with hoods?
Straphanger

Straphanger to tmpchaos

Mod

to tmpchaos
Click for full size
Canon EOS REBEL T2i
41mm 1/13th F5.6 ISO800

The last component of my buying spree. Now I'm out of components to buy and probably money to buy things with.

Lots to learn with the external flash, since I've never used one before.

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
Port Orchard, WA

1 recommendation

drew

Premium Member

Start reading: »neilvn.com/tangents/flas ··· hniques/

That guy rocks.

Dexter0
Premium Member