Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Rifleman
Premium
join:2004-02-09
p1a

How To Cut Plaster Lathing cleanly?

I have to installa few receptacles in 100 year old house. I know it's hard to cut it without the lathes shaking and cracking other areas. I also need to cut some access holes and then repair.
I have a rotary cutter, sawzall, and jigsaw. ANybody have ideas and what blades or rotary bit to use? Normally I just knocked the stuff down and redrywalled.

Ken
Premium,MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN
I saw an electrician on this old house use a 4" angle grinder with a toothed diamond blade. It seemed to make a nice clean cut with no shaking of the wall.

john131971

join:2003-05-05
Louisville, KY
reply to Rifleman
...mark outline of boxes
score outline with razor knife
then slowly chisels out until u reach the lath
then i would use a zip drill with a wood bit....

good luck and don't get in any hurry while your chisels, small tip flat screwdrivers seems to work the best

fiddelm3742
I Hope You Learned Your Lesson

join:2003-02-19
Waterloo, IA
reply to Rifleman
I put Coax/Cat6 wall plates in my house in about 5 - 6 rooms.
I used a rotozip and a plaster lathe bit. I made the mistake of using a drywall bit for the first hole, it burnt up before i had even finished.
W/ the rotozip it cut fine however the bit is pretty large and it's difficult to be verky precise. Also, get ready for a huge mess. The rotozip threw plaster dust all over everything
--
Fiddelke.org

whizkid3
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY
kudos:9
reply to Rifleman
Use a Roto-zip with a plaster bit. To avoid the mess, simply have someone hold up a vacuum while cutting.

Rifleman
Premium
p1a

1 recommendation

reply to Rifleman
I was there for a few hours this morning. Man I hate doing old houses. I wore out 4 spade bits and 6 sawzall blades.
I can't access the attic in one bedroom and had to cut a bunch of holes to get my wire in. I'll be patching most of tomorrow I guess.
The damn plaster is practically cement. Sparks flying off the spade bits and sawzall blades.
The walls are 6 inches thick with old wood and the lathing.
I'll give the rotary tool a shot but the sawzall is doing good as long I keep replacing the blades. I use an old spade bit to make 4 holes in the plaster then switch to a good one to get thru the wood.
Knob and tube is a pain in the ass too. Replacing all of it.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
Plaster has cement in it. You would be better using masonary drill bits and jig saw blades made for tile than regular wood blades and bits.

Edrick
I aspire to tell the story of a lifetime
Premium
join:2004-09-11
Woburn, MA
reply to Rifleman
Atleast your walls aren't made of plaster with metal mesh thats sharp and spikey.
--
Ricky Smith

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to fiddelm3742
said by fiddelm3742:

W/ the rotozip it cut fine however the bit is pretty large and it's difficult to be verky precise. Also, get ready for a huge mess. The rotozip threw plaster dust all over everything
As Whizkid3 mentioned, use a sweeper for the dust. As to the precision, make a template similar to what a router would use. Just run the rotozip around the inside perimeter and volia, perfect opening.
--
Go Colts

Rifleman
Premium
p1a
I have a sweeper----my 14 year old son. Brought him along as an apprentice at 10 bucks an hour. He thinks it's great--which wasn't my intention. Was hoping he'd see becoming a doctor is less dirty and pays much better.

jjoshua
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ
kudos:3
reply to Rifleman
Angle grinder.

Saw it on TV. Makes it real easy - especially if there is wire mesh in there.

Gotta Do What Ya Gotta Do
Premium
join:2000-09-02
Here
reply to Rifleman
You think cutting them is hard ?? Imagine the guy that built those walls .... For you young folks >> No 4*8 sheets of Sheetrock/Drywall and electric screwdrivers.

When I look at old houses I admire the Craftsmanship and frown on the crappy workarounds people have done through the years, MY house in an excellent example.
--
What was I in Highschool ?
A Ghost.

chmod
Premium
join:2000-12-12
Lockport, IL
reply to Rifleman
Wow, knob and tube service. I've only seen that once and it wasn't in use anymore. As others have mentioned I use a rotozip. If using a sawzall I've found that the "the axe" metal blades are good for making mostly clean cuts and take some abuse. I think they are made by milwaukee. I pick them up at flea markets.
--
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Rifleman
Premium
p1a
reply to Rifleman
Tried the grinder today---big mess and stink. The wheel kept jamming in the grooves made so went back to the sawzall. The owner is a tightwad and refused to buy a rotary bit so I sent him back for more sawzall blades. On number 9 now.
On a sidenote---patching the holes. I am screwing a peice of wood to the back of the hole---then screwing a peice of drywall to fill the hole--but the plaster isn't applied evenly. It looks straight on the wall but varies from a 1/4 inch to 3/4 in places so hard to level the patch. Sorry I got into this now.

whizkid3
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY
kudos:9

1 edit
said by Rifleman:

The owner is a tightwad and refused to buy a rotary bit so I sent him back for more sawzall blades. On number 9 now.
Time is money. Shouldn't you be buying the rotary bits out of the money for overhead that you are making on the job?

Rifleman
Premium
p1a
Doing it flat rate and he buys all material--including blades and such.
I suspect the sawzall is faster than the grinder or rotary anyways. Less messy for sure.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
Grinder with a diamond blade would be the fasest. Proper rotary bit would be second.

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to 61999674
said by 61999674:

You think cutting them is hard ?? Imagine the guy that built those walls .... For you young folks >> No 4*8 sheets of Sheetrock/Drywall and electric screwdrivers.

When I look at old houses I admire the Craftsmanship and frown on the crappy workarounds people have done through the years, MY house in an excellent example.
All of the outlets in my 1914 bunglaow are in the wide baseboard strip. No plaster cutting for the guys that built my house.

bobrk
Premium
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to chmod
said by chmod:

Wow, knob and tube service.
My house is 95% knob and tube. As long as it's in good shape, it's ok. You just don't want to over load it, and grounding is probably the biggest problem.

Rifleman
Premium
p1a
They can't get it insured or sell it here with knob and tube.

bobrk
Premium
San Jose, CA
Mine had to be inspected by an electrician before State Farm would insure it.